I don't understand - why shun nuts??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't understand - why shun nuts??

And cheese for that matter? Like someone said recently, cheese has no carbs and it's just basically animal fat.

One cup of walnuts have 16 grams of carbs (8 grams of net carbs) and Almonds have 21 grams (9 grams of net carbs).

Mark recommends a diet of 50 grams of carbs per day for fast weight loss. As far as I can see, one cup of nuts a day can fit perfectly into those 50 grams. So why do I constantly see people telling me to drop the nuts? They're full of fats and some protein, while only a small amount is carbs, and only 1/4 of the carbs are sugars.

It makes sense to drop the fruits, but why nuts???

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Raphael,

Personally I try and limit my nuts to (in order of the best choice to least best.)

1.) Macadamia

2.) Cashews

3.) Almonds

And that&#39;s because of the omega 6 content. Not the carbs.

Past those 3 nuts, the O-6 content goes up really high.

Walnuts for example have a good "ratio" but lots of O-6 *and* 0-3.

I think it&#39;s a good idea to limit O-6, and then balance your 0-3.

Nuts can really jack up your O-6 fats if you&#39;re not careful.

-Sean

www.SeanBissell.com

Comment

I think you need a hug!

Comment

Hahaha...yeah...why not....I am giving you two a hug!

Comment

Crap, I never realized that. I thought walnuts have very little omega 6... and I&#39;ve been eating over a cup a day!

So now that that&#39;s clear, what happens if I get too much omega 6? Obviously I have been.

Comment

Nothing to do with weight loss directly (calories, carbs) but nuts have hideous omega 6:3 ratios. I guess one could take fish oil with them.

Comment

lots of of omega 6 and kcals

Comment

i&#39;ve read that although almonds have a higher 6:3 ratio than walnuts, walnuts have more fat in them so you actually get less 6 eating almonds...

i say go for it... i eat plenty of almonds and cheese and donig fine (although not trying to lose weight).

Comment

On another post, somebody informed me that MUFA (mono unsat fats) which are found primarily in nuts can hinder weight loss. I bet there are some articles on the matter ... Saturated is the preferred fat for weight loss benefits, among other things, or so I&#39;ve heard.

I thought cashews were a no-no nut?

On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

Ughh... but nuts are soooooo convenient... can eat them while in class

Comment

Raphael,

Just stick with like Macadamia nuts, and cashews, and almonds.

You should be good.

Jess, I don&#39;t know about monounsaturated fats and weight loss. My guess is that they&#39;re 100% OK because they&#39;re found in animal fat too.

Olive oil is mainly monounsaturated fat too.

Regarding nuts and Omega 6 and 3...

Here&#39;s a quote from another post I made in the past on the subject:

"Check out this chart below:

(Data from the USDA database)

g. per 100 g. of nuts

------> Omega-6, Omega-3

Almonds 13.52 0.00

Peanuts 15.10 0.00

Pecans 20.63 0.99

Walnuts 38.09 9.08

Pistachio 13.64 0.26

Cashew 8.48 0.07

Macadamia 1.30 0.20

Check out Walnuts.

Although they have a good "ratio" they still have *38* grams of omega 6 per 100 grams. Ouch!

At that point, I don&#39;t care too much about the ratio.

Now check out Macadamia nuts with ONE gram of omega 6 per 100 grams. (Even though it has about a 6:1 ratio)

I&#39;ll take the Macadamia nuts over walnuts any day now!

And check *this* out. Although Cashews have a whopping 121:1 ratio (One hundred and twenty one to ONE!) they only have 8 grams of omega 6 in them.

You&#39;d have to eat almost 475 grams of Cashews to match 100 grams of Walnuts in terms of Omega 6 consumption.

Man!"

Hope that helps!

-Sean

www.SeanBissell.com

Comment

What&#39;s wrong with Omega 6? Sorry, I am kind of busy doing homework right now and can&#39;t research on it... a simple answer will do.

The way I view it, is that Grok didn&#39;t know a thing about Omega 3 and 6 so why should we care?

And thanks for the advice, I think I&#39;ll stick to almonds. I prefer them over walnuts anyways - I just toasted some, yummm...

Comment

well, it is very difficult to stop eating them once you have started which is, providing their high caloric content, is quite dangerous in terms of fat loss

besides, nuts have one of the highest oxalate level of all foods - the last year, after eating about a half a kilogram of almonds i ended up with kidney stones

Comment

Too much omega 6 leads to inflammation, which leads to a list of disorders/diseases. If you eat your macadamia nuts, cashews and almonds moderately (no more than 4oz a day, perhaps,) I don&#39;t see a problem with it. I go to school from about 10ish to 2ish and 11ish to 3ish four days a week, and I&#39;ll usually *skip* lunch and supplement with a generous serving of nuts until I get home. Works for me. I would only use nuts as a last resort...

On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

4oz is a cup right? I think I had 2 cups today lol

Thanks all, I&#39;ll stick with the almonds. And if I can find cheap cashews, I will too.

Comment

Working...
                              X