No announcement yet.

I don't understand - why shun nuts??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@gn: I had no idea that nuts had high amounts of oxalates. Thanks for that info. There was a time when I was eating close to a 1/4 lb of almonds a day, but I've reduced the amount to about 1 oz. I've run out of almonds now and I'm resisting the urge to buy more.

Comment

Yeah, I too just ate the last few of them. I'm gonna go a week or two without any to see what happens in terms of weightloss.

Either way, I've already given up WAY too many things, so no, most likely I'm gonna keeping eating tons of nuts and not feel bad anymore.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
      ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Back to the weight loss issues -- The way I see it, nuts are a snack typically and they are not very satiating (I can eat them endlessly) so people tend to over do it. If you get 21g of your 50g from a snack, it seems you are pretty likely to go over 50g. Also, snacking may not be the best road to weight loss, if you snack on nuts between every meal, isn&#39;t this a lot like eating 5 meals a day? We know that IF can be a better scheme, so it seems to me (just applying logic not science) that nuts can easily derail weight loss. Lots of people here have observed this.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Comment

I heard that the omega-6 was what stalled weight loss when eating nuts, via poor thyroid signaling or conversion:

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...uppresses.html

Comment

Back to Jr. High, Raphael! I guess it&#39;s Middle School, now.

An American cup is 8 fluid ounces. It&#39;s volumetric. However, water weighs one ounce per fluid ounce. You know, the jingle, "Water&#39;s a pint a pound, the world around."

Nuts have about 800 calories per cup.

Comment

It occurs to me that Grok would never have had access to handfuls and handfuls of shelled nuts. He&#39;d have to pick them and then use a tool less efficient than a nutcracker to shell them one by one.

I think the kcal numbers for nuts are off. No one digests and absorbs nuts in their entirety! But still, very easy to eat quite a bunch in one sitting of already shelled.

Hmm. Now I want to go get some unshelled walnuts and almonds and see if I can crack them open, and how many I would eat before giving up on the whole process.

Comment

I try to limit my consumption of nuts to 1/2 cup a day, and I only eat 1/4 cup at a time generally. I&#39;m just eating almonds right now because they are readily available and I don&#39;t like walnuts unless they are in baked goods, which I&#39;ve now shunned. lol

Comment

Okay you guys convinced me then. No more nuts for now. I don&#39;t even want to finish the last walnuts I have left. I really need to lose this stupid stomach fat.

Comment

Raphael S., I also have cans of nuts leftover from when those guys gave me a similar lecture

Comment

RS, I, too have severely reduced my almond intake after some time on the forum. It was far too easy to &#39;overdose&#39; on them anyways, especially those darn things are roasted (I could eat a day&#39;s worth of calories in almonds).

If you feel a craving, try making homemade almond butter- I find that a few tsp satisfies cravings (better than 2 cups of nuts).

Comment

If you are trying to lose weight, i guess limiting them might be a good idea but if you&#39;re not... then go for it...

Comment

adipocyte, that&#39;s a wonderful idea. Growing up in the late 70&#39;s, early 80&#39;s, my parents were loving the &#39;hippy&#39; movement because they all went back to our &#39;natural&#39; roots, thus we always had a big bowl of shelled nuts with a handy little nut-cracker on top of them.

Whenever I was wanting a snack, or just wanted to hang with my parents while they cooked, I&#39;d just lean against the kitchen counter and &#39;crack&#39; away. It&#39;s like tapping into that incessant need to &#39;fiddle&#39; your fingers with something and then eat that sweet reward at the end.

I know I only ate a few nuts that way, in comparison to several handfuls if they would have been sitting there already shelled.

I bet it&#39;s WAY cheaper to buy them in their shells too.

Come to think of it, I don&#39;t even know where they would sell them still in their shells anymore. Are they still in the bins at the local Co-op? Hmmm....

Comment

Okay so it&#39;s settled - no more nuts for a while now.

In terms of weight loss, the cheese is okay, right? I eat a lot of that too. Let me know.

Comment

Raphael,

For weight-loss, I&#39;d eat cheese as a treat. I think you can still lose weight on 1 - 2 servings per week, but for your goals, you may want to limit the cheese.

(Trust me, from one cheese/ dairy lover to another, it sucks, but once we are at maintenance, it will be totally fine to indulge).

Comment

But why! What&#39;s wrong with cheese? It&#39;s just fat and protein...

Comment

Working...
                                X