Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just coffee and cream for breakfast?

Hello...

I love my coffee and cream in the morning, but don't necessarily need breakfast everyday. I know the cream in the coffee interrupts an IF (so not like I am counting it as that), but is it okay just to have coffee and cream for breakfast?

I think it is. Many people don't even do breakfast. Even if you add some cream to your coffee, while technically it may break your fast, I wouldn't worry about it at all. See how it goes.

Comment

Some cream will blip your body out of a fasted state for a while, but you will still be reaping most of the benefits of IFing. I don't think that's a problem. The reason that I drink my coffee black is that I like it that way.
      http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

I have coffee with coconut milk for breakfast a few times a week.

Comment

I do IF everyday (most, at least) and I drink black coffee without a problem. As afsjesse said, it will probably change the chemistry that IF achieves, but it doesn't necessarily sound like that is a concern for you.
          People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

It does cause a rise in blood glucose.
            Brad

late onset type1 diabetic 4-27-10 @ age 30

Comment

I had just a tablespoon of chia seeds this morning. I was surprised by how much it my level of energy up.

Comment

Originally posted by Phaedrus View Post
                It does cause a rise in blood glucose.
                is it the coffee or the cream which does that? i would think that the high fat content would mitigate any rise in blood glucose.
                my primal journal:
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

It's the coffee and the fat does nothing to slow it down unlike consuming carbs with fat. It does the same thing to my non-diabetic wife (she tests her blood glucose for kicks since I have the gear on hand)
                  Brad

Comment

Is that the caffeine? Cos I drink decaf.
                    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
                    Harold Whitman

Comment

I drink a cup of coffee with heavy cream for breakfast every day. If you're not dumping sugar into it, it should be fine. The heavy cream has a lot of calories, if you add anything like the amount I do (2-4 fluid ounces), but it's all fat. It keeps me satisfied until dinner time, which is nice.
                      "A man in this world without learning is as a beast of the field."

My Primal Journal

Comment

Yep
                        Brad

Comment

Not so fast ... ( yes, yes, it's a pun )

Caffeine does prompt an increase in blood sugar levels. This is data, but what we are truly after is information, that is, meaning.

Caffeine causes tissues to become insulin insensitive. Since tissues stop responding to insulin, they decrease their uptake of plasma glucose. Since tissues don't assimilate glucose at their previous rate, plasma glucose levels increase. Now, that's neither here nor there, but as a Type I diabetic that needs to administer a precise amount of insulin in order to control plasma glucose levels, it is important to note that adding caffeine to a meal might necessitate increasing the amount of administered insulin.

The real question is, does caffeine make all tissues insulin resistant? If the answer to that is yes, we don't have to worry because as far as I'm concerned, I want my adipose tissues to be as insulin resistant as possible. This is facetious, of course, since systemic insulin resistance is known as type II diabetes, which is not something to which I aspire. However, it does make the point that if caffeine were to make adipose tissue insulin resistant, that would allow hormone sensitive lipase to increase the breakdown of adipose triglycerides thereby releasing free fatty acids (FFAs) into the bloodstream.

What we really need, and I have yet to find such a thing, is a study that not only tracks plasma glucose, but also plasma FFA concentrations following caffeine administration. If we observe that plasma glucose and plasma FFAs increase after caffeine administration, then we can conclude that caffeine switches the metabolism from glucose to FFAs. That is, after caffeine administration, adipose tissue increases release of FFAs and decreases glucose uptake, which is precisely what we want to achieve.

If anyone knows of a study out there that is along these lines, I would love a pointer to it!

And to echo Iskander's thoughts ... unless you have a few drops of coffee with your gallons of cream, I really wouldn't worry about it. I am an unashamed coffee and heavy cream addict.

-PK
                          My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Comment

if you feel fine doing that, then go for it! a lot of us only eat twice a day.
                            And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
                            Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                            X