Red Meat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Meat

Does anyone ever have trouble digesting red meat and get indigestion and other unfavorable symptoms after eating a steak? Do some people just not tolerate red meat well? I would like to be able to include even more red meat in my diet because I am trying to increase fats. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Hi Nilla,

Sometimes it takes the stomach a while to heal from grain damage. It took me 9 months of being totally gluten-free to tolerate red meat again. Be patient, hang in there, and when you can handle it again, you'll probably get a wild craving for it (that's what happened to me).

Comment

Hi gfprof,

Thank you for your reply! I have actually been gluten free for 12 years though because I have Celiac. About a month ago, I went Primal. I cut out oats, rice, and corn. I also stopped eating other non-grain but high in carb foods like quinoa. I was eating red meat only on occasion before going Primal but it bothered me then as well. It is frustrating because it is really good but then for (many) hours, my stomach feels horrible. That is why I am wondering if some people just can not tolerate certain foods, although I hope that is not the case with red meat. I am already gluten and lactose intolerant. =(

Comment

i'm in pretty much the same situation, but i was only diagnosed with celiac three years ago, so i probably still have some healing to do. but i have the same reaction to eating a lot of red meat - i feel like i can only eat it once or twice a week, and i usually get acid reflux when i do eat it.

i found that certain cuts of meat are easier for me to tolerate. for example, i can eat liver pate with no problems. it's probably just a digestability issue - pate is easier to break down in the stomach than a huge chunk of steak. maybe the same concept would work with not only pate, but beef tartare or something. i haven't tried it yet.

in the meantime, i've been eating a lot of eggs, fish, and the occasional chicken or pork. like you, i love the taste of red meat, but i'm so put off by my body's reaction to it that i dread eating it.

Comment

This may seem trivial, but chew more.

Comment

I have trouble when I eat a steak that's cooked too much.
            Fortunately, I like them still mooing

Comment

Thanks guys, nice to know I am not the only one with some trouble digesting steak. Chew longer and make it more rare, check!

Comment

It may also be as simple as avoiding it when you're stressed out or you've been glutened or sick recently-our bodies are weaker at some points than others. I have to go much gentler in a high-stress period.

Comment

something else to mention is to watch your spices, try just sea salt, and how you cook it, opt for low and slow always and do not overcook your red meat
                  Get on my Level
                  http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

I drink about 4 oz of kombucha with my meat meals to help with digestion. Some apple cider vinegar in water may help, as an alternative.
                    Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                    Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                    Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Don't drink anything for an hour before or two after eating the red meat. Let your digestion focus.
                      Brad

late onset type1 diabetic 4-27-10 @ age 30

Comment

You may find your digestion improves more after time off all grains. I'm severely gluten intolerant but have the same symptoms in a milder form from corn and oats. A few days totally grain free shifted the last of my niggling symptoms. All grains contain gluten type peptides. There's info in Robb Wolf's book, I had a good article somewhere but can't find the link right now.
                        Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
                        Harold Whitman

Comment

I'm with the others on this about chewing. It's a very important part of digestion, often overlooked. All those enzymes are in your saliva for a very good reason. Plus it helps you decide when you are full, and you can really enjoy your food a whole lot more.

Comment

Hello all,

My name is Kurt and this is my first day on the forum. I found this discussion because I have a question about digesting meat and while reading it I got another question. And here I was hoping to find answers! :-)

My original question: is it true that it takes the body 48 hours to digest meat and that for that reason you should only eat meat once per day?

And then the second question that came from reading this threat: what is grain damage?

Luckily I have no problem whatsoever digesting meat, after several weeks of low carb eating, I actually found that when I occassionally add carbs to my diet is when my stomach seems to protest. Not that it hurts or anything, but I an just feel that it "stays longer" in my stomach if that makes sense. It seems to give me some sort of dense feeling while I'm ating

Comment

Luckily I have no problem whatsoever digesting meat, after several weeks of low carb eating, I actually found that when I occassionally add carbs to my diet is when my stomach seems to protest. Not that it hurts or anything, but I an just feel that it "stays longer" in my stomach if that makes sense. It seems to give me some sort of dense feeling while I'm ating.

Makes perfect sense reason I decided against the original Keto of 30grams or less of carbohydrates and went Primal/Keto at 50grams or less.
                              I eat most days 20grams of carbohydrates some days I eat 50grams of carbohydrates. The more I eat carbohydrates the more my body wants to go into hibernation mode.

Comment

Working...
                              X