Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on 'dizziness' in early days of being Primal

Hi guys,

I'd really appreciate some advice. I'm on my second attempt of going Primal, and for the second time I've got to about day 5 and am experiencing periods of extreme dizziness. It's very frustrating as everything else is going well and I don't want to give up but it's hard to keep going when I feel like this! I am a 30 year female - average weight and fairly fit. I'm eating enough - meat, fruit, veg, nuts - so I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong! Also feeling a bit low in mood too! Are these things to be expected? Will they pass?!

Thanks,

Es

If you have gone from eating a lot of carbs to eating more fat, then you are probably going into ketosis.

It's a good thing and the dizziness should pass.

Stick with it for 2-3 weeks and your energy should shoot up.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Comment

Are you sure it's not exercise related? If you're doing anything that involves your neck, a slight swelling can affect your inner-ear and your balance.

Comment

I get the dizziness too when I go super low carb ie under 20 gms ,and when I walk up stairs I can actually feel the energy drain out of my legs. As soon as I up my carbs again even by 30-50 it goes away.

Comment

Thanks guys. I have cut my exercise right back this week so I don't think it is that. Maybe I do need to up my carbs slightly? Wild rice maybe?!

Comment

I get dizzy the day after I cheat... it's wierd.

Comment

Wild rice? Are you serious? If you want to up your carbs, have some more vegetables or a few more berries.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Only suggested that as it was in Mark's book :S

I am new to all this and struggling!

Comment

Dearest Es,

In searching for answers, I happened across this piece from last year, wherein Mark addresses the topic of the transition to a low-carb diet:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-living-transition-six-easy-steps/

Have a read, but of particular interest was the part that mentions "Initially, you might feel sluggish or foggy" - I think you might be suffering more than most, but am hopeful that it will reverse given time

Comment

Thanks Tezmo that is really helpful.... it's encouraging to know that some 'transition issues' are to be expected... hopefully tonight's steak and veggies will help

Comment

I had it bad at the start...but it went away.

I never figured out if it was detox or coming off of sugar or just adapting to lower carbs but it did suck.

Luckily it went away.

Comment

Thanks John I just checked out your blog and it sounds like you felt how I do! Hard to function at work as I feel bleurgh... but going to press on through, hopeful that the worse will pass soon.

Comment

Working...
                        X