Primal Recipe to Substitute 'Corn Tortilla Chips?'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Recipe to Substitute 'Corn Tortilla Chips?'

Does anyone have a primal cracker recipe that they have created or found that tastes similar to corn tortilla chips that would be good with guacamole, salsa or alone? I am about a month into the Primal Diet and still miss corn tortilla chips sometimes. Thank you! =)

Use pork rinds. You won't look back.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

Comment

i've resigned myself to eating salsa w/ a spoon. Of course, i'm eating at home, so that's OK. And i turned one of my salsas into soup. If i'm craving nachos, i put the same toppings on mushrooms & broil.

there's a no grain recipe for enchiladas around here but if i'm craving enchiladas, I just go ahead & make them w/ regular corn tortillas. It's just a very occassional treat.

Comment

I use guac and/or salsa as a topping on meat or eggs. I also use celery as a "cracker."

Comment

If you and your fellow chip eaters can really control yourselves, Mark has an excellent recipe for primal crackers . The calories add up really quickly though. I make these crackers when I have a bellyache

"The Way We Do Anything Is the Way We Do Everything"
          ~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry
          My Leangains/Primal Lifestyle Challenge to begin 2/7/11!
          Check out the Blog for Daily Progress

Comment

I substitute green bell peppers for tostitos scoops. They go great with buffalo chicken dip, I bet they would be great for salsa too.

Comment

Some time last year, my "primary guacamole delivery device" became zucchini slices, about 1/8" thick or so, sliced on an angle so they resemble flat oval "chips"...
              Primal: going sane.
              "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results."
              - Rita Mae Brown, though frequently attributed to Albert Einstein, Mark Twain, or Benjamin Franklin...

Comment

If you are not carb counting plantains make a good 'chip' too. Or fry up some butternut squash. I think there is a recipe out there somewhere for veggie chips.
                Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

Shrimp dipped in salsa or guac is awesome!

Eggs topped with salsa, chicken topped with salsa, fish topped with salsa!!! lol

Bacon to scoop guac is such a treat!
                  The more I see the less I know for sure.
                  -John Lennon

Comment

Thank you everyone for the great ideas!!!

Comment

Try this cauliflower or zucchini nacho chip recipe.
                      http://blog.yourlighterside.com/2009...ip-recipe.html

Comment

I forgot cheddar crisps!
                        http://www.joyfulabode.com/2010/04/2...crisps-recipe/
                        The more I see the less I know for sure.
                        -John Lennon

Comment

Thanks guys for the creative ideas!! I will definitely be trying these.

Comment

I'll have to see if I can find the link, but we made a batch of almond chips from a recipe we found online. Almond meal (basically ground almonds) and a couple egg whites, plus some spicing. Roll thin between pieces of parchment and bake till crisp.

Far more flavor/character than corn chips so they won't fit all uses, and given that they're pure almond the calories etc add up fast. However, we really liked them for both salsa and guac. I think these may be my preferred way of spending my 'nut budget'.

Comment

Yes dwkdnvr, I'd love your recipe please if you find it. It sounds amazing!

Comment

Working...
                              X