Lard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lard

I am having a hard time with figuring out how to buy lard and even tried to find it on US Wellness Meats website. I don't want to make it. Can someone steer me in the right direction? Thank you.

Sorry ...I'm sure this has been posted a million times, but I can't seem to figure it out.

ask your local meat department in your grocery store, most carry it or will order it.

Comment

Granted, it is out of stock at the moment: http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Detail.bok?no=878

But they do have lamb: http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Detail.bok?no=719

From what I can see lard is only from pigs, rendered or raw same term for pig fat. US Wellness does not carry it.

Tallow is rendered from mutton or beef suet.

I would personally beware the source of supermarket brands, usually next to the butter. A good butcher might put you on to a better source.
      Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

Sorry to thread jack - but if I wanted to render my own lard, how much fat would I need to start with? To say, fill a large mason jar or 2 or 3?

Comment

Also look at smaller neighborhood markets or ethnic markets. They are more likely to carry such things and, if they don't, they are more likely to order it if you ask them.

As a matter of fact, I just bought my first package of lard just this last week. It's from my neighborhood market and they said they started carrying it because so many people were looking for it.

Comment

Be cautious of shelf-stable lard, though. Not so good.
            “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Sorry to thread jack - but if I wanted to render my own lard, how much fat would I need to start with? To say, fill a large mason jar or 2 or 3?
              You can start with any amount, but the more you render, the longer it would take and the more involved the process. One pound of fat yields about 12 oz of lard. I just blogged about rendering lard by the way, if it's any help. Mine turned out purrrfect.

http://ancestralfire.wordpress.com/2...o-render-lard/
              Last edited by walkingbird; 01-29-2011, 11:24 AM.
              By The Ancestral Fire - insights and opinions regarding primal living.

As a friend once said, "Bacon is the Journey of food. You may pretend to hate it, but secretly you still love it."

Comment

Why don't you just use Bacon Fat ?

Comment

Originally posted by Acteon View Post
                  Why don't you just use Bacon Fat ?
                  Lard is basically tasteless, pure, and bacon fat tastes like.. well, bacon fat. Good for flavoring though.
                  By The Ancestral Fire - insights and opinions regarding primal living.

As a friend once said, "Bacon is the Journey of food. You may pretend to hate it, but secretly you still love it."

Comment

Just back from the supermarket. Armour makes the brand next to the butter, aka manteca in Spanish, and it does include hydrogenated lard as an ingredient.
                    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

If you eat ribs sometimes (or other Pork Meat), you can suspend them on skewers over a pan of water when you cook them in the oven. Then pour the greasy water in a glass and let it sit in the refrigerator. Once the fat has solidified in the fridge, separate the lard from water.

Unlike Bacon fat, pork ribs aren't smoked so the fat should be flavorless.

You can also cook a fatty Pork Roast in a crock pot. Cool the liquid in the fridge and extract the fat the same way.

If eating a pork steaks, save the fat around the steak. Blend that fat with a blender and water. Heat the water, the fat will liquify and float on top. Put liquid in the fridge and separate from the water once it solidifies. (You can also take the fat cut it in tiny pieces and heat it in a Bain Marie.)

If you eat head cheese sometimes, there is always lard on top of the container. (Head Cheese is made from a Pork Head that has boiled several hours in a crock pot and the dissolved brain material is poured and it makes a paté/jelly like substance).

If it's too much work to "make your own", you can try to find Duck Fat instead it is a healthier fat and you may find that your recipes taste better with it.
                      Last edited by Acteon; 01-31-2011, 08:35 PM.

Comment

I recently bought some leaf lard from prarie pride farm. They are located in MN, but you can buy online as well. I hope that helps. Its all non hydrogenated. I've actually ordered from them for the first time a few days ago... so i'll let you know how it goes when I receive my order.

Comment

Working...
                        X