Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sardines

Hello...

Wondering how sardines taste. I almost bought some today, but I thought I get some input here first. I would like to try them... just wondered how many of you like them and are they really fishy tasting?? Also, what do you do with them??

There is a definate fish taste to them, and are a touch on the oily side. I *used* to love them on buttered toast, but thats out now. LOL! I usually just eat them with a salad. It's an aquired taste.
    SW: 235
    CW:220
    Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
    Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
    Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
    Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

Comment

I chop them up and scramble them in with my eggs and some lemon pepper. Very yummy! I also scramble in smoked oysters or mussels.

Comment

I LOVE sardines--used to eat them on crackers--now just straight from the can. I definitly prefer the ones packed in oil rather than water. They are "fishy", but very good.
        Heidi

33yo, 5'6", 158lbs, size 10 jeans

Comment

I buy these:
          Crown Prince Natural Skinless & Boneless Sardines in Pure Olive Oil, 3.75-Ounce Cans (Pack of 12)
          http://www.amazon.com/Crown-Prince-S...dp/B000EEWZF0/

They are less fishy than tuna, and I love them! Plus they're wild caught, and boneless! I usually eat them on a big ass salad, adding the oil and all. Yum!
          Join the Atlanta Primal/Paleo Meetup: http://www.meetup.com/Atlanta-Paleo-Primal-Meetup/

Comment

I like to make them similar to what Alton Brown did for his weight-loss but instead of bread I'll make a coconut flour tortilla. Mix them in with avocado, lemon, .... here you go-

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

Comment

Sardines are fishy. And oily. And filling in a good avocado-y sort of way.

I usually just eat them straight out of the tin because I used to eat them on crackers.

I did make an exceptional quickie seafood chowder the other night with some sardines packed in tomato sauce thrown into a pretty standard chicken vegetable soup. Gave my soup a punch of fat and calcium and I was quite pleased with it.

I don't usually eat them with anything special anymore. They're usually my go to for something where I am hungry but I am feeling lazy to make anything. Aside from my soup the other night, I've never really put them in anything or done anything else besides just eat them plain.

Comment

I love sardines as my go to food at work if I don't have time to bring anything else. I only get the boneless, skinless in olive oil kind. I eat it straight out of the can or with a salad and they have 2000mg of omega 3 per can.

Comment

hmmmmmm, you guys are giving me hope...I know they're good for me...but...
                  except once, I ate some kind of tapenade and w/out knowing it had sardines, and it was good....

Comment

Go for it!

Comment

A little bit of worchestershire sauce is great on 'em.

Comment

I F*CKING LOVE SARDINES.

That's all I really had to contribute...

Oh, I guess if you're looking for the healthiest option (with the best n-3 punch, calcium, phosphorus, etc.) get the ones WITH bones and skin that are packed in water.

Comment

I really like lightly smoked sardines in olive oil (and I'm not a fan of fishy fish!). If you ever have a chance to eat fresh sardines (like in a Greek restaurant) they are the best thing ever! OMG- heavenly!
                          PS- canned smoked oysters are really good too
                          http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

Wild Planet smoked and whole in olive oil.

The bones & skin are the goods. I smash them up with mayo, mustard and chili flakes for my own kind of ceasar dressing.

My 3yr old begs to eat them out of the can.
                            Brad

late onset type1 diabetic 4-27-10 @ age 30

Comment

Love them as well, but I also need to eat them on something. My solution is parmesan crisps - coarsely shredded parm spread out on a cookie sheet (about 2 inch diameter circles), 350 degrees in the oven for about 5 minutes. Also excellent for pate.

There is a quick window of opportunity in getting a nice, crispy wafer vs. a burned mess.

...Tim

Comment

Working...
                              X