Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did you believe the whole Primal Thing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did you believe the whole Primal Thing?

I mean for Primal Blueprint Fitness it might be one thing.
    But especially the whole Primal nutrition thing.
    I mean there is no doctor who said "don't eat rice, noodles, bread, potatoes, etc.!"
    it's just "some guy" who did that.
    Why did you believe him? Why did you start the Primal Blueprint? DID you actually believe him, or did you figure out that the concept worked for you? Or what else convinced you?

I'm refering to videos such as this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwnSqpKmbZA
    Grok from Germany

Primal since End/Beginning of 2010/2011

Dr. Eades, for one.

My blood pressure has dropped 30 points, my bad cholesterol has dropped 75 points, and my good cholesterol has increased 17 points.

Comment

For me, the premise of "eat the way our ancestors did" just resonated. I was already following Zone principles, which aren't all that different, but dropped all grains and upped the fat to become Primal, while also focusing more on real food.

Various bits of research helped to reassure me that CW could be wrong.

And then I just feel so darned healthy this way, and am enjoying food thoroughly for the first time in my life. Even if the primal theory is dead wrong, and I leave this world earlier than I otherwise would have done, I will have no regrets.
      Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
      Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

Gary Taubes is also not just "some guy" and has mentioned Paleo diets as an ideal diet too. That dude in the video you posted .... not so much.

Comment

His question is answered. It's not simply, "Well this is how our ancestors ate, so we need to eat this way." It's the theory that humans evolved eating this way for many years longer than we ate the way we do now. Noodles and bread were not around 20,000 years ago in all likelihood. Early man primarily ate what he could find which would be animals, plants, maybe some roots, nuts and berries. That's about it.

However, if you like to eat a modern diet of grains and other types of food, go for it.

Comment

I read Good Calories, Bad Calories and realized just how much actual SCIENCE is behind this way of eating and how much politics and greed are behind conventional wisdom.

It's not just "some guy" and it's offensive to everyone here who has bothered to do a bunch of research to claim we are blindly following Mark as some "messiah" like sheeple.

Comment

pre-primal triglycerides: 178
              primal triglycerides: 55

My blood pressure is the best it has ever been since it's been tracked.

I don't feel like I'm dying anymore.

You know, little things like that.
              "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

It just makes so much sense. I think most educated people know on some level that eating frankfoods isn't natural. We should be eating foods, not chemicals.
                So, for me, it was something of a natural progression with what I'd already been doing. I'd been eating things I could pronounce, and was getting away from gluten because I know so many people who have serious issues with it (not the least of which are my nephews), so it was never a huge leap to get rid of the other grains I'd been enjoying, like amaranth and oats.
                It just made sense to me in a way that a lot of other things never really did.

<edit> Also, the research he uses to back up his stuff. I'd read a lot of stuff already in looking into healthy eating styles.

Comment

I've dealt with many a doctor that fell into the "just some guy" category. Logical evolution based thought and feeling/performing better is what makes this resonate with me.
                  Brad

late onset type1 diabetic 4-27-10 @ age 30

Comment

I initially considered it because of the whole "evolutionary" argument... it made intuitive sense to me that we probably didn't evolve the ability to easily eat grains in just 10,000 short years.

The thing that got me to actually TRY it was looking at the basic biochemistry (insulin and fat storage, cortisol, etc) on Mark's blog and others, and matching it up with what I remembered learning in my "Biochemistry: metabolism" class in college. The truth was, an undergraduate biochemistry course had given me all the information I should have needed to know that conventional high-carb low-fat diets didn't make sense... I just hadn't put it together. (I never really studied human biology, and bacteria and yeast don't get heart disease or diabetes... and if they gain weight, they just explode, lol.)

As a scientist, the goal in the back of my mind is always to prove my own beliefs wrong. But I haven't found anything convincing enough to prove this wrong yet. These days I read lots of primal and paleo blogs, and read some of the scientific papers about nutrition and metabolism myself. A lot of them say things I don't believe 100%, but the major ideas hold up: keep insulin controlled, avoid grains and sugar, saturated fat isn't bad, keep O3 and O6 balanced, etc.
                    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

The proof was in the pudding, for me. Met up with a buddy mid-August 2010 and he looked freakin' awesome: tanned, vital, healthy, lean and happy. I was 35-40 lb overweight (at 207 lb or so) and told him I wanted to change it. He told me the basics of the PB, said most of what I needed was free from this site and from the e-book. Free is good, and I needed a change bigtime.

By mid-October I was 15 lb less and feeling great, as I had been feeling since being 3-5 days on the PB.

I've never looked back.
                      August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

Originally posted by TigerLily View Post
                        I don't feel like I'm dying anymore.

You know, little things like that.
                        hahaha! totally with you on that one
                        Originally posted by runnergal
                        You just didn't define Healthy Whole Grains properly. Many steak recipes refer to cutting "against the grain" when slicing. Therefore beef has grains. If you eat everything on your plate, you have eaten the whole thing. Eating an entire steak is eating healthy whole grains.

Comment

Originally posted by lolov View Post
                          I read Good Calories, Bad Calories and realized just how much actual SCIENCE is behind this way of eating and how much politics and greed are behind conventional wisdom.

It's not just "some guy" and it's offensive to everyone here who has bothered to do a bunch of research to claim we are blindly following Mark as some "messiah" like sheeple.

OP, if you read the PB (which you probably haven't), Mark cites where he gets his information from. It's more than a hunch that he has...

I'm editiing because I see you have 43 posts and therefore are probably not a troll and maybe have read the PB. Sorry...
                          Last edited by AnneArchy; 01-27-2011, 10:08 AM.

Comment

I'm still not sure I 100% believe ..i.e. that grains are toxic etc.

There were a lot of little things that pointed me in this direction. i had a few things tell me I needed to eat fattier cuts of meat. I struggle with appetite and insulin resistance.

I was in a car accident in October that resulted in a 20 lb weight gain. and I was already higher than I liked Being faced again with a strict counting regimen just depressed me.

But for me CW wasnt working. Even modified moderate carb CW - I had some success with South Beach but still was struggling because I crave fat. i dont really have a sweet tooth. The sweets I ate were always the RICH sweets. (chocolate, icecream, flan, cheesecake) and I would crave things like butter and bacon.

A few months back I was describing a horrible binge to a friend where I consumed probably close to 1500 calories of buttered pita, bread, crackers and tortillas. And she said "oh yes, those carb binges get me" And I stopped and said...no, that wasnt a carb binge, I wanted butter. The carbs were merely a butter delivery system. Which made me stop and the next time I craved butter I just sliced off a piece and ate it. I can eat a stick of butter if I spread it on bread. Turns out by itself ....rarely more than a tablespoon.

And mostly because I am hungry ALL THE TIME. I was a calorie counter and would find that even on a Southbeach diet I would struggle to not be starving. I let myself "eat to hunger" on a combo SBD/Clean eating plan and my set point for hunger was around 2700 calories a day regardless of my workouts. (I tend to be less hungry if I workout more). I lost 60 lbs calorie counting and eating mostly SBD but I just couldnt face counting anymore

For me it was one of those "hey several things keep pointing me to Paleo/primal, why not give it a shot"

I'm still hungry frequently, but my satiety is closer to 2000 calories a day...which with my activity level even if you just think it is calories in = calories out should result in a slow drift to my ideal weight
                            MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Comment

I like to give different things a chance. And it just seemed sensible...more nutrients packed into what you're eating, and cutting out things that have a tendency to disrupt things in your body. It makes sense to eat things that aren't overly processed. I feel and look GOOD. If my body is responding well, I know I'm doing something right.

Comment

Working...
                              X