Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fight with family about going Primal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fight with family about going Primal

    Hey!

    My family always gets mad at me, for eating so many eggs. Well I eat about 3-5 eggs a day maybe.
    Not every day, but maybe 5 or 6 times a week.
    Their main concern is, that they say it is unhealthy to eat too many eggs.
    I don't think it is. I think that's all bull.
    What do ya'll think and do you have any scientific/biological (proven) arguments against what they say?
    Grok from Germany

    Primal since End/Beginning of 2010/2011

  • #2
    You can't refute such a general argument. WHY do they think it's so bad? Cholesterol? Fat? Find out what their issue is and then refute that with science!

    Comment


    • #3
      i have the same problem with my family. even after i explain the science to them, they just glaze over and keep fighting with me. right or wrong, they've got decades of thought behind them that you're unlikely going to break down. what i've started doing is help them start to change their opinions slowly. if eggs are their rub, find a few articles that explain why eggs aren't so bad, then follow up with articles on why eggs are good.

      psychologically, humans can look at scientific proof and not believe it if it goes against what they know/feel/think to be true...i can't remember the name, but it's some kind of bias. changing someone's mind overnight is pretty difficult unless they are really open minded...just chip away bit by bit.
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

      Comment


      • #4
        This is an article about the 88 year old man who ate 25 eggs a day every day for more than 15 years and had normal cholesterol:
        http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...9/ai_10673558/

        Margaret Flynn, a clinical dietician at the University of Missouri in Columbia, says the man's healthy cholesterol level is not surprising. "All of the studies we have done showed no effect [on blood cholesterol] of high egg consumption in a normal diet," she told SCIENCE NEWS
        .
        Last edited by Adrianag; 01-27-2011, 06:50 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by lolov View Post
          You can't refute such a general argument. WHY do they think it's so bad? Cholesterol? Fat? Find out what their issue is and then refute that with science!
          Guess my Dad's just pissed off and wants to fight and then he tells me that and says it's been proven by doctors scientifically and stuff.
          If I try to tell him, he comes with the age thing.. you're bla bla bla years old, how do you think you can tell me, I'm half a century old bla bla bla
          Grok from Germany

          Primal since End/Beginning of 2010/2011

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Adrianag View Post
            This is an article about the 88 year old man who ate 25 eggs a day every day for more than 15 years and had normal cholesterol:
            http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...9/ai_10673558/

            .
            Thanks, guess I'll print that out
            Grok from Germany

            Primal since End/Beginning of 2010/2011

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by primalrob View Post
              i have the same problem with my family. even after i explain the science to them, they just glaze over and keep fighting with me. right or wrong, they've got decades of thought behind them that you're unlikely going to break down. what i've started doing is help them start to change their opinions slowly. if eggs are their rub, find a few articles that explain why eggs aren't so bad, then follow up with articles on why eggs are good.

              psychologically, humans can look at scientific proof and not believe it if it goes against what they know/feel/think to be true...i can't remember the name, but it's some kind of bias. changing someone's mind overnight is pretty difficult unless they are really open minded...just chip away bit by bit.
              I mean it might not be proven that eggs are good, it might not be proven that they are bad. I don't really care, I just like them and feel good eating them. But you're right.
              The whole stuff Mark tells in his book and on his websites are not proven either. He's not a doctor or scientist. But I was just convinced of most of it, due to the big community and success of it.
              Grok from Germany

              Primal since End/Beginning of 2010/2011

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm a 65 y.o. woman who is outstandingly healthy and eats eggs every day. I'm assuming I'm older than your Dad. So I guess he will believe me becauce -- after all -- I have more experience than he!
                Starting Weight: 197.5
                Current Weight: 123
                Far healthier!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by janie View Post
                  I'm a 65 y.o. woman who is outstandingly healthy and eats eggs every day. I'm assuming I'm older than your Dad. So I guess he will believe me becauce -- after all -- I have more experience than he!
                  That's about what he said.
                  Grok from Germany

                  Primal since End/Beginning of 2010/2011

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Have a side of bacon with the eggs.

                    Or, make a half dozen to a dozen eggs and cook them for everyone!

                    Omlettes. You need a lot of eggs to make a decent omlette

                    One of the Primal Rules is No Stress. Don't sweat it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by traintolive View Post
                      Guess my Dad's just pissed off and wants to fight and then he tells me that and says it's been proven by doctors scientifically and stuff.
                      If I try to tell him, he comes with the age thing.. you're bla bla bla years old, how do you think you can tell me, I'm half a century old bla bla bla
                      Do you still live at home? How old are you? (Is just ignoring him an option?)
                      Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

                      If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

                      Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Remind them that you are not smoking pot, or shagging lots a women, or stealing road signs, or posting nasty pictures of young girls on the Internet, or stepping on the heads of kittens, or drowning puppies... And then say "Really, people?? It's EGGS, for cripes' sake, settle down."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          It sounds like your dad specifically just likes to pick fights. This doesn't seem to have anything to do with being Primal. As soon as you engage, he wins and you get pissed off. Just say, "Yup, you're right, Dad." and keep on keepin' on. If it really comes to a head, print off articles (like the one Adrianag listed) and just leave them on his desk (and your mom's, if she gives you a hard time too). Don't even discuss them. Just leave them where they generally read. If you try to discuss them, they'll turn them into an argument.

                          And if they don't bend to scientific data and keep arguing with you, well... ignore them 'til you move out, I guess. Do the best you can and remember that limiting stress is a part of the PB, so don't let them get to you.
                          August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

                          I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Tell him to provide a peer reviewed article that proves egg consumption is unhealthy, or shut it.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Maybe if you went and had a checkup? Cholesterol, triglycerides blood pressure etc. the proof is in the numbers. You could show them that you're helathy and that the eggs are working for you...and give them crap everytime they pop carbs/sugar in their mouth in the meantime, ti hihi!
                              ____________________________________________
                              Behind every successful person...lies a pack of haters
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X