Chocolate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chocolate

I've been completely primal for 6 days now. Today was the first day I felt pretty hungry and then had a HUGE craving for dark chocolate. Well, a little dark chocolate is good for you but a lot of dark chocolate isn't. And I'm guessing since I had a big craving it's probably something I should give up for a while especially until I no longer have cravings. Any thoughts???

I've found that if I eat the dark, bitter (85%) chocolate, a little bit is all I can eat, and it satisfies any cravings (and I used to LOVE chocolate, especially the sweeter milk chocolates, so this was a big deal for me).

Comment

Nothing wrong with some dark chocolate !

Comment

Having gotten over carb cravings, i tend to respect any cravings I do have. Oh, I might crave a huge fast food burger. But actually having some good, pastured ground beef with lettuce, tomato, pastured sharp cheddar, and bacon is going to blow that craving away. I may think "a fresh baked bun would be nice with this." But it wouldn't be a big deal.

There is so much stuff in chocolate that who knows what your body might want.
        Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

Chocolate from Aldi comes in convenient pack within a pack. It helps to control howmuch you eat.

Comment

A few months prior to starting the primal/paleo diet I went on a chocolate rampage, often eating 4-5 bars of chocolate in a sitting. So, I am currently avoiding even dark chocolate , not wanting to trigger a binge. When I feel ready (ie the thought of chocolate does not provoke a major craving) I will try out some good dark chocolate.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianag View Post
              Chocolate from Aldi comes in convenient pack within a pack. It helps to control howmuch you eat.
              Yes, I love that chocolate. The packaging is helpful and convenient, a "serving" for me is usually half of one of the little bars. Quality stuff too.

Comment

Since I try to avoid sugar and all sweeteners, I satisfy my chocolate cravings with unsweetened baking chocolate. It's almost impossible to overdo it, and the richness of the chocolate flavor is so satisfying.

Comment

Thank you for all the responses! I think chocolate that's already portioned in packaging is the ticket. Another question that is not related to chocolate... how long into primal living did it take before you weren't feeling hungry?

Comment

Originally posted by MyBodyMyTemple View Post
                    Another question that is not related to chocolate... how long into primal living did it take before you weren't feeling hungry?
                    I haven't been doing primal very long (2 weeks in) but I haven't felt hungry since I started. If I feel hungry I eat a primal meal, making sure there is plenty of fat. I eat until satisfied and then stop. When I feel hungry again, I eat again. For me that is usually working out as 2 large meals a day or occasionally three meals or two meals and a snack.

If you feel hungry, try having bigger meals or add more fat to your meals?
                    Bee
                    Newly primal mama. Taking my family along on the walk to a healthy, strong and happy primal life.
                    Losing fat, building strength, having fun.
                    My journal is here (please ignore my excessive use of exclamation points and smilies, I just can't help myself! )

Comment

I'm eating about 100-120grams of fat each day. Maybe I do need more? I would like to try IF but I get light headed and very hungry. Also, when you do IF do you just cut out that food you would normally eat or add it to the meal before or after IFing?

Comment

I have seen several people say not to try IFing until you are fully adjusted to primal eating. I have kind of accidentally IFed just because I eat when I am hungry and don't eat when I am not. Because I am not intentionally skipping a meal, I am not thinking in terms of what I would have eaten, just in terms of what primal food I want to eat now to satisfy my hunger. Does that make sense?

I keep a rough log on fit day and on my journal here just so that if I plateau at some point I can look back at what I might want to tweak and to keep myself on track with making primal food choices. I am not using it to tell myself what to eat/not eat in terms of nutrients, calories etc just keeping track out of interest at this point, following the primal plan (eat meat, eggs, veg, occasional fruit and I am having some heavy cream and cheese as well) and listening to my body. I have found that if I eat fruit I tend to end up more hungry but if I eat more fat (cream added to my chai, a little cheese, an egg with my meat, sauté my veg in butter...) then I am satisfied for longer.

If you give some more details of your height, weight etc and what you generally are eating in a day, the more experienced members here may be able to make some better suggestions for you

ETA: Just had a quick peek at your journal and your calories look pretty low to me. As a newbie myself I would say eat more! I am eating much more than you, don't feel hungry and am dropping fat (both the number on the scale and the number on the tape measure have gone down).
                        Last edited by mummybeelee; 01-27-2011, 09:31 AM.
                        Bee
                        Newly primal mama. Taking my family along on the walk to a healthy, strong and happy primal life.
                        My journal is here (please ignore my excessive use of exclamation points and smilies, I just can't help myself! )

Comment

I've been thinking my calories look low too but was trying not to worry about it. I'm 5'6", female, weigh about 136. I read I should be eating about 100g fat, 60-80g protein, and try to keep carbs below 100g for fat loss. Thoughts??

Comment

I am a little taller and a lot heavier than you so I have no clue on the numbers. I personally would forget the numbers for now and just eat to satiety. Add plenty of meat, eggs, cook with good fats (coconut oil, butter etc) and round it out with veggies, a few nuts, berries, maybe some dark choc (my favourite treat right now is a bowl of berries with a sprinkling of flaked almonds, a square of dark choc broken over and heavy cream. Delicious and so satisfying!). If you aren't getting the results you want in a month or so when you have had chance to adjust fully, then take a closer look at the numbers?

Give your body chance to get used to being well nourished and give yourself chance to listen to what your body wants before you start worrying about the numbers and tweaking things.
                            Bee

Comment

Dont try 90% or higher. Its not that great. Kinda chalky, like cacoa i guess but i wish someone had told me cuz i went out and tried to find the darkest chocolate i could. Its incredible low carb however. 85% is descent tho.

Comment

Working...
                              X