Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I stop having colds all the time?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I stop having colds all the time?

Hello,

Its winter here and I've had like 3 episodes of cold with running nose and headaches and feeling pretty bad for a few days in the last 2 months. I think it's also due to my kind of promiscuous lifestyle (I think I got the cold 2 days after kissing a girl everytime).

I eat 100% primal/paleo with no dairy. I take vitamin d and mutli vitamins everyday. I take fish oil supplements too. I might not have the perfect balance of meat / vedgetables / fruits but I eat them every meal.

What can I do to stop getting colds!!!

First, are you getting enough D? Do you know if you're deficient? Supplementing D seems to be doing wonders for my immune system this winter (knock on wood...)

Also, how is your sleep? Sleep deprivation can have a huge impact on immune function.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

You catch cold from germs and viruses. Wash your hand and don't pick you boggers. That will help more than any vitamins or dietary change.

Comment

Lots of Vitamin D. I'm not going to tell you how much to take. Have a simple blood test done to measure your level first. My level was very low. I take 10,000 iu's per day and have done so for a while now. I haven't had a cold in years.

Comment

I second the recommendations to check your 25(OH)D level. More specfiically via LabCorp or ZRT. Just as an aside: 10,000 IU is far too much for most people over the long term and thankfully even Davis is coming around on this point.

How is your zinc intake? Which multi are you using? Zinc lozenges are great to take at the first sign of a cold and if formulated properly (ie no zinc gluconate form preferred, no citric acid) appear to stop the replication of the virus in the back of the throat.

I have a D doc that may be helpful in my links below. Also assess vitamin A intake.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

PROBIOTICS. A large part of your immune system starts right here. I supplement and can't recall the last time I was sick (besides a bad case of sunstroke.)

Comment

You know what helped me (and I was already doing probiotics, D3, diet, everything)? Colostrum caps. I haven't been sick since I started it back in Nov. and it helped me years ago when I was getting sick every three weeks no matter what I did. Colostrum has a lot of health benefits
              This season has been esp. bad, as far as people getting sick. I have friends who NEVER get sick who have gotten sick repeatedly and I have other friends who have gotten sick and stayed sick for a month.
              http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!

Last year, I started getting colds every other month, all year, including the summer. This was very odd since I didn't used to get sick that much. I FINALLY figured out what was going on. I used to swim at noon twice per week. I stopped doing that, and I wasn't taking any vitamin D. So I started taking about 4,000 I.U.'s a day in October. It's only been a few months but I've been healthy as a horse since! Vitamin D I'm sure is the reason. Good luck!
                http://healthymindfitbody.com
                "Achieve your perfect weight through the mind-body connection!"

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
                  PROBIOTICS. A large part of your immune system starts right here. I supplement and can't recall the last time I was sick (besides a bad case of sunstroke.)
                  What did you do for sunstroke?
                  A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

Make sure you're getting enough sleep?

Kiss healthier girls?

Good luck!

Comment

Buy a scarf and wear it all the time, not just when you're out. Doesn't have to be thick. Just something to keep your neck warm. This should make a difference

Comment

Radioplastic,
                        Ditto on the Vitamin D3 Gelltabs. The Vitamin D3 Council advises taking 5,000 to 10,000 IU Daily for 3 months, then get your blood tested.

HERE IS WHY
                        http://www.naturalnews.com/z028357_v...eficiency.html
                        http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...ne-system.html

The Wife & I have not even had a snifle since taking 10,000 IU Vitamin D3 Daily, and our vitamin 25(ohD) blood levels just tested out to be Optimal per the Vitamin D3 Council. They recommend your blood level to be between 50 to 80 ng/ml.

Until taking Vitamin D3, I used to have a severe chest cold every year that lasted for many weeks. Now I can walk among coughing, hacking people with IMPUNITY. BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I can even go to church and sit among coughing people without fear. I used to be afraid to go to church in the winter, but caught a cold anyway.

More on Vitamin D3 below,
                        Grizz

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
                          Diana my Sweetness,

Which probiotics do you recommend. There are so many out there. How often do you take it, and for how many days or weeks?

Many thanks,
                          Grizz

Comment

OP, you said you were taking D. Make sure it's the right kind (D3 in oil). Grizz, I'm liking Dr. Ohhira's probiotics. There are instructions to take a loading dose which i haven't done yet, I'm just taking 1 or 2 a day but may take a loading dose soon (which I think is a box in a week).

OP maybe you should stop kissing all those girls. You don't know where they've been.
                            True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
                            The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Comment

Originally posted by shat View Post
                              OP, you said you were taking D. Make sure it's the right kind (D3 in oil). Grizz, I'm liking Dr. Ohhira's probiotics. There are instructions to take a loading dose which i haven't done yet, I'm just taking 1 or 2 a day but may take a loading dose soon (which I think is a box in a week).

OP maybe you should stop kissing all those girls. You don't know where they've been.
                              My question is how long are you supposed to take the probiotics. Once your gut has been supplemented, I would guess that you don't need to take any more. They do reproduce in your gut all by themselves. Why would you need to take more every day till death do you part?

The girls WISH they could get their hands on me ;--)) But I am married and they don't have a chance. I will send them all to you.

Grizz

Comment

Working...
                              X