Green Olives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Olives

I don't see many mentions of olives, yet they seem to be a brilliant source of good fats with very little carb content (Green Olives in particular). Am I missing something?
    Registry Fixer

I eat kalamata olives on a regular basis... yum!
    Just like nuts and dairy, you need to be aware that it's easy to pack on calories eating those little gems, though.

Plus, I find I seriously retain water if I have too many...but they are delightful!

Comment

i go crazy for olives...which is why i try to limit them to only once in a while (like melodious said--calories add up), but i will occasionally pick up a container from the olive bar at the grocery store. there's a great selection of varieties, some covered in garlic, some with red pepper.
      i think it's important to make sure you're getting the good ones. i had a craving for olives the other day and just wanted to pick some a jar to keep on hand as a snack...the ingredients were mostly non-foods.

now my craving is huge. i'll feed it this weekend.
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

I like 'em in my martinis. Oh, and in my mouth, too.
        Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Comment

I get wonderful marinated and stuffed varieties from a vendor at my farmers market (the garlic stuffed ones are killer). I don't like a lot of the jarred varieties for the same reason listed above--there can be a lot of weird crap in there--but olives are nicely primal otherwise.
          “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Nice to see some olive love. Personally, they are my go to snack. They kill any cravings I have and offer and excellent energy kick or meal replacement (if you are looking for a calorie deficit).
            Registry Fixer

Comment

Garlic stuffed olives. Yum. Favorite salty snack.

(between the sardines, the sauerkraut, and the garlic olives, I am not the most popular person at the office at lunch time...)

Comment

Yum, reminds me of the farmer's market in Nice, France. The olive stand is more than 20' long and your nose tells you when you are getting close.

Comment

Green olives are one of my favorites. You are only missing something if you don't consume them because they are absolutely yummy and are pretty good for you
                  "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

Castellventrano olives - lightly spritzed w/olive oil and seasoned with a nice blend of herbs that includes crushed red pepper. One of my all-time favortite things. However I can easily eat waaay too many of them, so I save them for special occasions.

Comment

Love olives! A handful of kalamata olives can really help kill my salty cravings that used to lead me to a bag of chips! I eat a few plain once in awhile, and I definitely use them as an accent in cooking. Yummy on top of big-ass salads or thrown into a chicken dish. For me, they fall into the same cateogry as nuts - something that I try not to eat every day and that I restrict myself to a fairly small quantity. Otherwise, I could way over-do it!

Comment

My absolute favourites are the anchovy stuffed green ones - if there is a bowl of them around, my manners go out of the window.....

Comment

Working...
                        X