Does anyone here eat...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone here eat...

flax seed? I tried to "search" for it in the forums, but nothing came up. Would this be a good or bad addition to my primal diet if I'm trying to lose the last 5 pounds?

i do not eat flax seed. i'm pretty sure very few PBers eat it at all. is there something in flax seed that you are trying eat, nutrient wise?
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

I never tried it, and if you search MDA, you'll find a few posts from Mark where he's generally not keen on it. I get my Omega-3s from Barlean's fish oil. Don't see a good reason for eating flax.
      By The Ancestral Fire - insights and opinions regarding primal living.

As a friend once said, "Bacon is the Journey of food. You may pretend to hate it, but secretly you still love it."

Comment

I see flax seed as pointless but not harmful. It has a relatively low amount of Omega-6s for a nut or seed, which is good, but it's Omega-3 content is all ALA, which isn't as accessible to the body as EPA or DHA.

Personally, I sometimes buy the almond butter with toasted flax seeds, but it's because I like the crunch, not because of any heath reasons.
        The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

Sometimes I use the ground flax seed meal as flour when making waffles. I have heard good and bad things about flax. Don't really know where I stand on that.
          Family Living Simple blog

Facebook

Twitter @Famlivingsimple

Comment

I sometimes make bread with flax seed, very rarely, though.

Comment

I previously used the oil in my smooths, but I don't anymore. I was using it before PB because it was a "healthy" unsaturated fat. Now, I use cream and/or coconut oil.

Comment

While we're asking, does anyone eat porkskins/pork cracklins? They're zero carb, high fat moderate protein... I realize they're not exactly primal, I don't imagine Grok skinning a pig then frying up its hide, but hey, they're delicious!
                "It is not what you are that holds you back, it is what you think you're not."
                Denis Waitley

Comment

Originally posted by huntergirlhayden View Post
                  While we're asking, does anyone eat porkskins/pork cracklins?
                  I've read here of people using them in place of chips in nachos. I think it was Batty's journal that had a picture of that, though my memory is suspect at times.

To the OP...flax gives me terrible headaches, so I avoid it.

Comment

I do not eat seeds.

Comment

I use seeds and meal. I like the crunch on my salads, yogurt. I make microwave muffins w/ the meal. I'll add it to other baked goods, too.
                      Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
                      http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
                      Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

Comment

I will use locally produced, cold-pressed, organic flax or hemp seed oil in dressings sometimes for the different flavours those oils can give. I find either can be a nice variation from olive oil for taste while still having a reasonable omega 3/6 ratio. I used to throw a couple of tablespoons of ground flax in my morning yogurt to add some texture and an interesting taste, but since I've shifted to less dairy and more eggs in the morning, that's no longer part of my routine.
                        “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Thank you so much for all the comments! The texture and crunch that several people mentioned is why I thought I might try the seeds. I'm also eating pretty low-carb (less than 30 grams a day) and, although I know fiber isn't at ALL what WC says it is, could use a little more to help my digestive system. Since all the carbs in flax seeds are fiber, I thought it might be worth trying. I think I might just stick to leafy green vegetables, though!

Comment

I don't avoid it but I don't actively seek it out. There's no real reason to eat it. Sure, it has ALA, but I take fermented cod liver oil and eat fish 3-5 times per week.

Comment

there's some concern of a correlation between flax & prostrate cancer (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/quick...-edible-seeds/), so guys should probably avoid it. personally, i enjoy the crunch occasionally on a salad, but i don't particularly like the flavor it imparts to breads & other baked goodies. tastes too much like rye, & that flavor should only be paired with swiss cheese & corned beef!
                              And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
                              Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                              X