Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Is Anyone Surprised?

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating...s_products.php

No.....I can remember picking the "blueberry candy" out of the Jiffy Mix making waffles as a little kid with dad.
    Brad

late onset type1 diabetic 4-27-10 @ age 30

Comment

Pre-Primal, I used to absolutely love me some blueberry mini-wheats. I could eat three bowls in a row, easy. Thinking now about what they were doing to me, though... ugh...

I'll just stick to my infrequent dessert consisting of 1/3 cup frozen wild blueberries and 1 tbsp coconut milk. The SAD jive suckas can have their cellulose gum bagels and unpronounceable additives.
      August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

I actually am surprised. That is really shocking.

Comment

Originally posted by aktres View Post
          I actually am surprised. That is really shocking.
          I'm surprised and shocked too. Is there no level "they" won't stoop to?

Comment

As former Secretary of the Navy, John Lehman, said, "Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat." I think most politicians, huge food companies, pharmaceutical manufacturers etc feel the same way, so no, they will stoop as low as they need to.

Comment

Anything to earn (steal) a dollar...

Comment

Corporate greed! What could be next, no meat in Taco Bell beef tacos?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianag View Post
                  Corporate greed! What could be next, no meat in Taco Bell beef tacos?
                  I see what you did there.
                  August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

Problem isn't that they do this, it's that people don't care that they do this, they buy anyway so if you're buying you're telling the companies you are 100% in agreement with all their practices so... why should shit change in their eyes?
                    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Blueberries are overrated, anyway...
                      Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                      Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                      Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Not surprised nor shocked.

And I'm so sick of people blaming "greedy corporations." Right because, "The corporations...they sit in their corporation buildings, acting all corporation-y,... and they make money." Oh and then they put a gun to your head and MAKE you buy/eat "blueberry" muffins!

The only reason manufacturers produce this artificial garbage is because consumers buy it. There is no use in being outraged, just stop buying it. Only when consumers stop demanding crap will producers stop supplying it.
                        Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Comment

I'm not particularly surprised, but all it takes is one bite of the food-like substance to recognize it as markedly different from a real blueberry. In fairness to the manufacturers, the products in the article are hanging on to the wagonstraps of the blueberry bandwagon; likely they are banned by the FDA or USDA from outright marketing their product as having any of the benefits of blueberries. They are not making explicit claims that eating their product will give them benefits similar to eating blueberries, but it is implicit in the subtle signalling of the blueberry colored packaging and advertised flavor.

Savvy consumers will read ingredient labels and be able to make distinctions and decisions; consumers truly in the know tend to not buy products that require reading any labels because there aren't any to be read. The rest of the ignorant (often through no fault of their own) populace will buy this stuff and think, gee! I'm eating Betty Crocker's Blueberry Muffins and blueberries are good for me; I've done something good for myself and my kids today.

Adams' quest to have more honesty in food labeling is a noble and well-intentioned one, but I would take it several steps further and say "No food labels necessary!" Just buy and eat the stuff in its natural state. If it has an ingredient label, you probably don't need to eat it.*

*of course I know there are a few exceptions here, like the bag of coconut I bought the other day that had an ingredient label that said "100% dried unsweetened flaked coconut," or the brie that listed the milk, cheese cultures, and salt as ingredients...

Comment

You can tell I haven't been primal for too long...all that carby shit still looks so delicious to me.

Comment

Lying about the ingredients in packaged/prepared foods and drinks is a much larger issue in Europe. It's not quite so bad here - yet. But you can bet it's coming. In Germany they sell a product called Klebeschinken. It's a salt cured bacon product similar to prosciutto. It's actually made up of different layers of processed pork and then glued back together using 'protein glues' to make it look like one natural piece of cured bacon. The process was perfected in Japan. Unless it's labelled as Klebeschinken, you can't actually tell the difference from the real thing. And of course manufacturers have been labeling them as 'real' Schinken (bacon) because they fetch a much higher price. Someone got wise to this practice and complained. The manufacturers don't care, the government doesn't care. The only way to be sure is to not buy whole slabs of bacon.
                              You donít stop riding because youíre getting old, you get old because you stop riding.

Comment

Working...
                              X