Eat This, Not That: Primal Version

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eat This, Not That: Primal Version

So many newbies ask "But what CAN I eat? What SHOULDN'T I eat? This is so confusing!" So here's a basic list:

If it is...
    - A legume (bean, pea, peanut)
    - A grain (wheat, corn, rice) or made of a grain (bread, cake, tortilla, pasta)
    - A processed food product
    - A "low-fat" food product
    - A "low-carb" food product
    - A "diet" food product
    - Anything with an ingredient that ends in "ose" (sucrose, glucose, fructose) or that contains sugar, agave nectar, honey, or maple syrup
    - Anything from the center aisles of the grocery store...

YOU SHOULD NOT EAT IT. Throw it away (unless it's a cleaning or stationery product, in which case use it for its appropriate purpose).

If it is...
    - Meat (especially grass-fed)
    - Poultry (especially free-range)
    - Fish (especially wild-caught)
    - An egg (especially cage-free)
    - A non-starchy and/or green vegetable (especially organic)
    - An avocado
    - Butter (especially from grass-fed cows)
    - Lard
    - Ghee
    - Coconut oil
    - Coconut milk
    - Olive oil (but not for cooking)
    - A berry (up to a handful)

YOU CAN AND SHOULD EAT IT. In fact, it should be the backbone of your diet.

If it is....
    - A dairy product (milk, yogurt, cream, sour cream, half & half)
    - A nut (peanuts are not nuts)
    - A seed
    - A fruit other than a berry
    - A starchy or sugary vegetable (carrot, beet, winter squash)
    - A tuber (potato, sweet potato, yam)
    - A nightshade (tomato, bell pepper)
    - Coffee

YOU CAN EAT IT IN MODERATION, UNLESS:
    - You are trying to lose weight (for dairy, nuts, fruits, starchy vegetables, and tubers)
    - You are lactose intolerant (for dairy)
    - You are significantly inactive/sedentary
    - You are insulin resistant (for dairy, nuts, fruits, starchy vegetables, tubers, and coffee)
    - You want to go 100% Grok and avoid anything we aren't sure he ate

Any questions?
    Last edited by Griff; 01-26-2011, 11:36 AM.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

I think this is great and so helpful for people starting out. Maybe we can make it a sticky, as things get buried and then people ask the same questions over and over?

Also, might be good to add in to the moderation section if you have any autoimmune disease, as that's a big reason why people need to avoid dairy/nuts/nightshades

Thanks for doing things--you're always a wealth of information and inspiration!
    Il faut vivre et non pas seulement exister.

Comment

Good summary! Needs to be added to the Newbie stickie!
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
      My Latest Journal

Comment

You left out sugar, but that is a handy reference, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by aktres View Post
          You left out sugar, but that is a handy reference, thanks.
          Very true. *fixes that*
          Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

coconut milk?

Great summery Griff .. this is what I have been using for a ref. sheet for shopping and eating out

http://www.liveprimal.com/LPrecipes.pdf (See and print pages 10-13 for a grocery list) it is a basic start I added and
            broke it down on word for myself really helped for shopping and eating out

The best thing is page 12 list fruits low to high on sugar content..

grocery list it breaks it all down and lots of recipes and new veggies some may have never ate.

Fuel
            not so good fuel/ dairy listed - use this in moderation /sometimes not at all if trying to lose weight
            fuel substitutes
            primal shopping list
            Endurance athlete recovery fuel
            Last edited by Eatmydust; 01-26-2011, 02:27 AM.

Comment

Thanks Griff, I'll be printing this out for sure, but one question. Tomatoes, I have one about 1.5 inch diameter for lunch each day as a part of my salad and maybe another one spread out during the week for dinner.
              Is that "in moderation?" I am trying to lose fat but ok with everything else.

Thanks a lot.
              My paleo food photos

Comment

Why not olive oil for cooking?

Comment

Nice list, Griff.

I repeat the question from urbansix----Why not olive oil for cooking?

Then I add my own------Shouldn't red palm oil be included in the "good" lists?
                  Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

Originally posted by urbansix View Post
                    Why not olive oil for cooking?
                    It has a low smoke point and oxidizes when used for griling, sauteeing or frying. You should be using only extra virgin olive oil, the most delicate and prone to oxidation, as a seasoning for veggies or use in salad dressings or cold dips.

Rachel Ray cooks everything in EVOO, and her sycophantic followers are either blissfully or wilfully ignorant of the damage they are doing to the oil and their bodies by frying. They take an otherwise healthy fat and turn it into an oxidation pinball by cooking and ingesting.

Comment

Originally posted by MadBiker View Post
                      It has a low smoke point and oxidizes when used for griling, sauteeing or frying. You should be using only extra virgin olive oil, the most delicate and prone to oxidation, as a seasoning for veggies or use in salad dressings or cold dips.

Rachel Ray cooks everything in EVOO, and her sycophantic followers are either blissfully or wilfully ignorant of the damage they are doing to the oil and their bodies by frying. They take an otherwise healthy fat and turn it into an oxidation pinball by cooking and ingesting.
                      The low smoke point is only true for EVOO (which I wouldn't use for cooking anyway, it's a waste of all that flavor) the second pressing has a higher smoke point and is fine for normal cooking/sauteeing and even low temp deep frying. So, if you want to use olive oil to cook, use the second pressing stuff and save your good evoo for dressing salads, etc.

There's a difference between refined and non-refined coconut oil, too. Refined has a higher smoke point and is fine for high temp cooking where the unrefined is not.

Comment

Great list--Thanks !

YOU CAN EAT IT IN MODERATION, UNLESS:
                        - You are trying to lose weight (for dairy, nuts, fruits, starchy vegetables, and tubers)
                        Griff~ Actually, my experience is that dairy is only a problem for losing weight if it creates inflammation for you. I don't have any problem with eating dairy and losing weight. In fact, the high CLAs in grass-fed dairy apparently help with dropping body fat.
                        Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                        Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                        Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Here in Portugal we use olive oil for everything, cooking and topping salad and vegetables, we don't care about the smoke point or whatever, everything cooks fine and we're still alive (and considered very healthy for Mediterranean folks). I have coconut oil but I just use it for primal desserts and that's it.

Also, what's wrong with tomatoes? And cucumbers? And are carrots that bad...?

Comment

This is handy, thank you. I'm still not doing it "right" but I'm working on it...it takes a bit of practice to tell yourself it's ok to eat fats! I'm sure I need more fats because I still feel hungry sometimes and I think it leads to nibbling on things that are still primal, but on the list of things that should be avoided if trying to lose weight...which I am.

Comment

You said fruits "other than a berry" in moderation.

Where do berries go? Eat/ don't eat/ moderation.

Comment

Working...
                              X