Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Second Most Common CW Bullplop... (Sorta Ranty)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Second Most Common CW Bullplop... (Sorta Ranty)

"It's all about portion control. Eat less and move more. It's that easy."

If only...

I tend to go with the old "You're body is not a bank, for which withdraws and deposits of calories happen on a daily basis. You're body is a chemistry set for which each and every chemical does something different will produce different results."

The idea of "eat less, move more" sounds good and has good intentions... but it's just a lie. A good friend of mine went on Weight Watchers and started doing cardio at YMCA. Bless her, she's done great and stuck with it. A year later she has lost 42 lbs (which included getting little stickers and prizes from WW). She worked her ass off and starved her self (and she's still got quite bit to go...)

As much as I'd like to say I worked out... I never did... not once. I lift heavy stuff at work and around the house here and there but that's it aside from my usual walking about the work place and having out with friends and such. I never starved myself. I ate ate ate ate ate ate ate. All the time. And I lost nearly 80 lbs.

Her response, "Men are different than women when it comes to losing weight... and talk to me when you've had a heart attack from all that bacon." She takes a slow drag on her fourth apple (because fruit carry no WW points now) and smiles.

My mouth waters at the idea of bacon for breakfast... for which it never did when I had eggo or toast before BP. She can have her bagel covered in no fat cream with peaches on top.

It's almost a year since I went PB and I would never EVER think about giving it up.

Rant over. :-)
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

Rant on!

See my Just cut calories blah blah blah
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

I hear ya. I got to listen to the "If you just trim calories, so you're burning more than you're eating, you'll lose weight no problem" etc the other day at work. I just smiled and nodded, and thought how lucky am I to be doing what I'm doing. I *know* I'm losing weight, I can feel it, my clothes fit better, and its no effort on my part at this point.
      Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

It a way it feels as if we are a part of some secret knowledge...

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

Comment

Gooooood. I can feeeeel your angerrrr.
          You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

well, truth is, it does work.

on PB, i actually eat less (volumn) and move about the same (more than most people), and feel great.

and, honestly, i don't eat a lot of calories (if fitday is at all correct) -- anywhere between 1400 and 1800 depending upon the day. and that's about 60% fat, 20% protein, 20% carb. while WW would frown upon it, it's actually right in line with CW. I am "eating less" and "moving more."

lol, it's just what i'm eating and how i'm moving that is different.

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
              Exactly--because you're not forcing yourself to do either of those things. They just kind of happen.
              Check out my blog here.

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                yes but the idea of "eat less, move more" to many means "4 slices of pizza instead of 6... and i'll take the stairs once in a while instead of the elevator"... that's not going to bring any changes of worth and such lack of results will only make people return to they old ways.

it should be "eat MORE of the correct foods, move MORE but not cardio cos that's a waste of time"

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                  Gooooood. I can feeeeel your angerrrr.
                  That should be two 'Goooooood' please. Come on, Grumpy.

Comment

It sounds like the biggest loser premise. Eat less and exercise for 8 hours. It is such a vicious hamster wheel. You are working your body to death and not feeding it the essential nutrients it needs. It was a hard lesson for me to learn that this method is in no way sustainable. God help us all.
                    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

Comment

Well, I just started on my Primal journey, but it makes sense to me. Weight Watchers does work, but you are in a constant state of starvation and food-obsession (how many points is this? how many points do I have left? will that glass of water affect my weigh-in?). It's not health-oriented, it's culture-oriented so that these women (mostly women) can fit in to our society's demand of thinness (regardless of health).
                      Regarding cardio, I never felt good doing the rat on a treadmill thing. I've always felt best when doing slow-heavy weights or getting out and doing some beautiful, slow-paced hikes. I have a long journey ahead of me, but at least I know I won't be starving or ungracefully flopping around on a treadmill.
                      "What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

Comment

Originally posted by Phere View Post
                        Well, I just started on my Primal journey, but it makes sense to me. Weight Watchers does work, but you are in a constant state of starvation and food-obsession (how many points is this? how many points do I have left? will that glass of water affect my weigh-in?). It's not health-oriented, it's culture-oriented so that these women (mostly women) can fit in to our society's demand of thinness (regardless of health).
                        Regarding cardio, I never felt good doing the rat on a treadmill thing. I've always felt best when doing slow-heavy weights or getting out and doing some beautiful, slow-paced hikes. I have a long journey ahead of me, but at least I know I won't be starving or ungracefully flopping around on a treadmill.
                        That's exactly how I felt on Weight Watchers. I lost 25 lbs fairly quickly but I was SO hungry and SO food obsessed. I spent my days counting my points mentally. I stressed over how many I had left and I was miserable. It shouldn't be so difficult!
                        ~Sandy

Comment

How are you doing on PB, Sandy? When I did Weight Watchers for a couple months, I was just really taken aback at how powerfully destructive the almighty scale was. The women were terrified of gaining an ounce due to strength-training (and let's face it, it would take a woman a LONG time to pack on enough lean muscle to make any great difference on the scale!), a glass of water, whatever. The whole focus was that scale, not better health, not better care as to what they were putting into their bodies. It was a test of paranoia and obsession, and could probably lead some down the path of anorexia. For me, it was just too much work lol. I'm not one to obsess anyway, and I wasn't comfortable with the frantic, irrational vibe I got from the meetings. I'm still eating too much dairy to be Primal yet, but mostly out of convenience as I have a 9 month old Grokling!
                          "What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

Comment

I lost weight on a CW diet. 1500 kcal a day and regular exercise. I had to turn off the lights and try to sleep around 9 in the evening because I was so hungry and cranky at the end of the day I was ready to kill someone. And eat them. Right now I'm trying to stop eating when I'm mostly full. At the end of the day, I'm aiming to be a little peckish but not hungry. I've found I'm naturally leveling at 1500 kcal a day. Neither husband nor cat are in danger of imminent demise. The food is very satisfying with all the extra fat that I was avoiding before.

Comment

Originally posted by Phere View Post
                              How are you doing on PB, Sandy? When I did Weight Watchers for a couple months, I was just really taken aback at how powerfully destructive the almighty scale was. The women were terrified of gaining an ounce due to strength-training (and let's face it, it would take a woman a LONG time to pack on enough lean muscle to make any great difference on the scale!), a glass of water, whatever. The whole focus was that scale, not better health, not better care as to what they were putting into their bodies. It was a test of paranoia and obsession, and could probably lead some down the path of anorexia. For me, it was just too much work lol. I'm not one to obsess anyway, and I wasn't comfortable with the frantic, irrational vibe I got from the meetings. I'm still eating too much dairy to be Primal yet, but mostly out of convenience as I have a 9 month old Grokling!
                              ACK I had a friend who lost a lot of weight on WW, but she would NOT workout for 48 hours before weigh in for fear of water weight. She KNEW it was water weight, but she still would not do it...even if it meant no exercise that week.
                              MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Comment

Working...
                              X