Why cut out fruit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why cut out fruit?

I am new to this WOE (yay, getting the abbreviations!) and I am just noticing that a lot of people cut out fruit all together. If fruit is a part of the plan why do you cut it out?

Fruit is very carb-y ... and as most people are trying to lose weight (keep carbs low) they cut fruit out... also per carb there are much better (containing greater nutrient density) foods available (read: veggies)
    sigpic

Comment

Plus there are a lot of people here who are trying to improve their insulin sensitivity (after developing insulin resistance through prior bad eating habits), or dealing with hypoglycemia or diabetes... in which case avoiding as much sugary stuff as possible (even the natural kind) is best for the body.
      sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

I eat a piece of fruit every few days instead of a few pieces every day, as I did in my old way of life. It keeps my sugar/carb-cravings in check by not eating it too often. I also appreciate it more that way too -- feels like a treat. I think it depends on your goals, your activity level, and how your body responds to sugar.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Has anyone eaten a piece of fruit a day in the beginning to see how they do on it and then decide to eliminate or cut back on it? Also, in the beginning did you find yourself hungry and if so did you snack at all? I am used to eating snacks and so I am finding that I am hungry in between meals and I know my calories are not low. Just wondering if it takes a little while to get used to eating 2-3 meals a day. Thanks for your input!

Comment

If you're eating a lot of fruit, you could be hungry in between meals because of the sugar in the fruit. If you cut the fruit for a few days, eat a little more fat too, you might find that you're not hungry in between meals. Also - be sure you're not cutting calories too low.

Comment

It's not the sugar in general, it's the fructose. This goes into pretty good detail about it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

In my experience, it's better to eat more carbs and less fructose vs. the opposite. Do yourself a favor and just get your carbs from boiled/steamed potatoes + butter.

Comment

The thing to remember is that although fruit is natural, modern fruit has been bred super-selectively to make it sweet, sweet, sweet. So although it's good for you, it's a whole different thing than Grok would have eaten. And it would have been a seasonal, unusual treat -- not something to snack on every day all day.

You don't have to cut out fruit but the SAD version of including fruit is far from optimal.
                "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
                "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
                If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's new primal journal

Comment

Originally posted by Travis Culp View Post
                  In my experience, it's better to eat more carbs and less fructose vs. the opposite. Do yourself a favor and just get your carbs from boiled/steamed potatoes + butter.
                  I would never argue eating potatoes with butter! I can go with eating fruit occasionally. Thanks everyone!

Comment

I am confused with this as well. If you are sensitive to fructose, if that is the case are you saying that eating you fruit with alot of protein is not going to do anything with the sugar getting to your insulin. I read somewhere that grains are bad because when eaten with fats and protein I guess, the combination makes the fat get stored in your body. Is this the same with fructose, even in moderation?
                    You don't have to be sick to get well

Comment

I can say for myself, in regards to your question, that with all the medical "nuances" out there that doctors DON'T pay attention to, often a fructose intolerance in any given person can go undetected in the early stages, and not only affect insulin levels (though fruit is regarded "natural and healthy"), but can start causing minute damage in the small intestines. This is what happens early on, until a full-blown fructose intolerance rears its ugly head perhaps 10, 20 years later, with or without an Eating Disorder attached. And anything that will inflame or bother them small intestines causes minute or greater damage to other body organs, too.

The choice is yours. As for me, I'm glad to find out 20 years later ALL the things that brought about my original Eating Disorder I suffered terribly from.
                      It's reassuring to see that it was not purely psychological in origin.......it was the increasing lack of enzymes I could produce to handle it.

Comment

The simple answer is don't. It definitely depends on activity levels, but I eat 2-3 pieces day and fat has been melting off while doing so. Fruit is good for you and tastes great, don't overthink it or deprive yourelf. just start with what feels right and adjust.

Comment

I also eat fruit and don't find it to be an impediment to weight loss or the restoration of my health. My diet is centered around meats and vegetables, but I enjoy some fruit and nuts almost daily. It is a very nice convenience food for me.

Everyone is different though. See what works for you.
                          Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

I don't really like fruit. I was thrilled to find the WAPF and primal/paleo communities where there were good arguments for why fruit isn't really necessary for a healthy diet. I eat a half cup of frozen wild blueberries in the morning most days, or I'll eat other fruits fresh from the farmers market in season, but I don't dutifully eat fruit with breakfast and an apple in my lunch anymore to get my minimum 2 servings a day like the food pyramid (hiss!) suggests.

Comment

I enjoy a decent amount of fruit every day. A small handfull of berries in greek yogurt, a banana, and maybe some grapes. Other times it'll be oranges or apples or something else for variety. Usually 3 different fruits a day when I'm working. But I work construction and as a result burn a lot of calories. Also I'm very skinny and weight loss has never and probably will never be an issue for me. This can't be bad can it?

Comment

Working...
                              X