Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I avoid gaining fat while trying to gain weight and put on muscle?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I avoid gaining fat while trying to gain weight and put on muscle?

I'm 175 lbs approximently, but would like to get up to maybe 190.
    Ideally I want to lose fat and gain muscle. Right now I'm hovering at around 10% bodyfat. I'd like to lower that to 6 or 7. Ambitious, yes.

Thanks for any suggestions you might be able to share.

leangains.com

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
      leangains.com
      So this answer is IFing?

Comment

It's pretty difficult to gain muscle while losing fat, but I suppose it's possible.

Maybe try carb cycling, I've heard that the cyclical ketogenic diet can be pretty good for this purpose even though I've never tried it myself.
        Kriskris.com

Comment

I think the trick might be just going slow.
          As in 0.5 lbs/week. But that's hard to gauge.

Comment

Eat fat, protein, and non starchy veggies at a calorie surplus, and lift weights, and sprint weekly, and move around at a slow pace a lot.

0.5 pounds a month, if you are lucky.

Comment

I'm eating a dozen eggs a day, ha.

Comment

I was going to recommend leangains as well, but zoebird beat me to it. Devour all the info on the site. Take it from me - it does work. And it's not just fasting, there's the (nearly) fasted state workouts, and macronutrient cycling if necessary as well. Also the workout style is important - 'heavy and hard' should be the mantra to follow.
                The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
                Blog
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by who View Post
                  So this answer is IFing?
                  That's so not the entirety of Martin's approach. It involves IF-ing, but also overfeeding (focus on carbs and protein) on exercise days to gain mass when your muscles are in a muscle-building receptive state, and underfeeding (focusing on protein and fat) on rest days to promote fat loss.

Comment

I still think having one focus is much better for progress. You might trick your body into giving you slow muscle gains by being neurotic about macronutrient ratios and timing and alternating calorie restriction and cardio every day on top of your bodybuilding routine while on coffeine pills ETC.
                    The other option is eating 500-1000 cals over maintencance with a solid lifting routine, and while you might not have 6 pack abs and visible veins after a while, you are going to see steady increases in muscle mass and strength. There is at least 3 months to go before you are going to get an opportunity to strip down, and not taking advantage of it to build quality muscle would be a waste imo.

If you think you can actually stick with the former, check out lyle mcdonald's ultimate diet 2.0 and may the force be with you.
                    Last edited by Pandadude; 01-26-2011, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Hmmm - if you are at 10% bodyfat and a guy, you should have a pretty visible six pack. Do you? 6% bodyfat is bodybuilding fitness competing. An NBA player has more bodyfat than that. If that really is your goal, and you want to gain 15 lb of muscle, you've got a pretty serious job ahead of you. I'd suggest you check out lyle mcdonald and leangains, PB itself doesn't necessarily have the info and approach to get you to that level as far as I know.
                      If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

You can't NOT gain any fat...you'll be spinning your wheels. You should accept *some* fat gain, but you don't have to put on 3 lbs. every week either.

Just eat a couple hundred calories over your maintenance. You body only builds muscle so fast.

Comment

Well, I've been using a leangains style protocol, I've certainly not been neurotic about it in any way, and I have without question been steadily losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time. So it is possible and it's not that hard. Of course your strength gains will be slower than if you were drinking tons of milk etc etc, but if you're serious about gaining strength then it's a lifelong process, not a three month lifting burst followed by a swift diet.
                          The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
                          Blog
                          sigpic

Comment

How tall are you, who? You'd need to be around 6'1 to reach that weight at 5-6% BF. This is according to Martin Berkhan (leangains), but other calculations for maximum natural lean mass correspond pretty closely.

Comment

@Primal Fist - If you were training consitently for maybe a year prior to leangains, and made strength+bodyweight gains from a leangains approach after eating primally for several months prior, then it will be convincing that it is due to the protocol. Beginner gains can be achieved with any protocol, primal diet will lead to bodycomposition improvements due to adequate protein intake compared to a standard diet, and if you didn't gain a lot of strength then your "muscle gains" can be explained by the lowering of bodyfat causing more muscle definition rather than actual muscle buildup.
                              Maybe you did make awesome gains, but unless the leangains protocol was the only changing factor then I don't really believe that an 8 hour eating window will cause you to gain muscle and lose fat (and I even do it most days myself for reasons of convenience).

Comment

Working...
                              X