No announcement yet.

I Admit It... I'm A "Cheese Eater!"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never been a big cheese eater, but I do like a slice of cheddar on my hamburger.

I have an iced latte daily, and lately I've been taking my 16 oz. Kleen Kanteen with 1/2 cup of half & half in it to the coffee shop and having them add 2 shots of espresso and fill it with ice. Sometimes I use cream instead, and occasionally I forget it and order it the normal way.

Comment

As mentioned before, I have a cheese addiction. If I buy a bunch, I will just eat it all; so I just buy little tiny packages (2 to 3 ounces) of something incredible once a week or so for a special treat.

But a few Blue Cheese or Feta crumbles on a salad...

it adds SO much flavor!!!

But that's the only dairy I use now; even my BF puts CM in his tea....

Comment

I think nobody should feel guilty for including any kind of food on their diet once in a while providing it doesn't make them feel sick/bad etc.

I eat the odd slice of cheese, have cream in my tea and use butter. Coming from a Central European background with the Alps not far, I do believe my genetic background is solid enough to cope with it. Nobody in my family has ever had any lactose problems and I neither do better nor worse when cutting dairy out of my life. So for the sake of taste...dairy is here to stay ( in gourmet amounts )

M.

Comment

Well I'm out.

I don't think that dairy consumption is worth the side effects.

I would advise asthmatics and those trying to lose weight to avoid it also.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
          Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
          Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Comment

According to genticists, people from the area you describe, Maranne, have evolved and adapted to drinking milk. They have a gene which does't switch off the lactose tolerance at a certain age, so they are lactose tolerant much later, if not all of their lives.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
            Current weight: 199
            Goal: 145

Comment

I've cut down a lot on dairy but I still have cheese sometimes. I used to eat a lot of cheap cheese, now I go for fancier stuff and eat less. Favourites are French raw milk Camembert, which is nice and fatty and should be more nutritionally complete due to the rawness, and Greek feta. Cheese certainly isn't a staple for me, but it's good if I don't have time to cook meat or just want a quick snack that's high in fat and protein.

I also enjoy cream in coffee on occasion. I can do black coffee but with cream is so much nicer (and a lot nicer than milk!).

Also I'm not going for weight loss, in fact I'm worried about getting too thin, so dairy's potential weight loss stalling effects are actually kinda appealing to me.

I've read that there's two different types of casein. The common dairy cattle (Fresian / Holstein) milk contains a lot of the "bad" kind (A1 beta casein), whereas Jersey and Guernsey cattle, goat's, and sheep's milk has more of the "good" kind (A2 beta casein). Source: http://www.foodrenegade.com/healthy-cheese-what-to-buy/

Comment

Perhaps it need not be said (especially on this forum), but there's an important difference between eating an organic or "grass fed" natural cheese and eating conventional process "cheeze." Remember Rule #2 (Avoid Poisonous Things), and keep it real.

I have a splash of cream in my coffee and enjoy some real cheese now and then, especially as a flavoring in vegetable dishes (like the squash gratin I had last night). One nice thing about most good cheeses is that they're so flavorful. A little goes a long way.

Comment

I sometimes enjoy a bit of Goat's cheese with my red meat in my dinner, or a bit of Brie with my chicken at lunch. Always small portions. Also I'm not fan at all of black coffee so I need to put some cream with it!

Cheese is a little treat to give up. I'm worried tho about its weight loss stalling issues, so I may give it up for 3 weeks and see what happens. I still need to get down 5 kilos more to be optimal!

Comment

OnTheBayou, I don't think it was the milk. It tastes great on its own as I devoured half a can But it creates a really unpleasant aftertaste in a coffee.

kuno1chi, that's right, I remember now that it was you who were buying small amounts of expensive cheese to make sure you don't overdo it. I like you style

By the way, what is your take on Mascarpone cheese? It tastes like a cross between very thick heavy cream and butter. It has 60 calories per tbls, 6 g of fat, 3.5 of sat fat, 0 carbs and 0 sugar.

I love the way it taste but I'm not sure how primal it is.

Comment

I drink my coffee with 1T half and half and 1t of raw organic SUGAR. gasp. One cup a day.

I often put a slice of sharp cheddar cheese in my omelet.

I sometimes have more than one glass of wine.

That's my 20%. lol

Comment

I've started adding in a bit of cheese to my omlette to stave off the boredom - I'm curious why a lot of the posters have said that they are scared of it stalling their weight loss?

It's got protein, fat in more or less equal amounts and very little carbs so - as long as you don't eat a lot of it each day (which can really up your calories quick!), what's the problem? Is it that it's "more-ish" and it's hard to stop at a small amount or is there something about cheese in particular that stops you losing weight?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

CC69, I completely agree with you. I love CM but somehow it tasted weird and a tad sour in coffee. I have my coffee with raw milk. I eat cheese and yoghurt occasionally, and butter/ghee is my second choice of cooking fat (first being CO).

Comment

My Tri-Tip steak was looking a little too lean tonight; I cooked it in Ghee and melted some Feta Cheese crumbles on the top.

What more can I say?

Comment

I like cheese as well but tend to stick to goat cheese where possible. I use butter to cook with too. I prefer the taste to coconut oil.

I have milk in my tea - skimmed at that. It's the only milk I like in tea. I don't even like semi - it tastes too thick and creamy. Makes me gag.

Comment

For someone who never cooked with ghee bedore, how does it taste different from a regular butter? I've had it couple of times on naan bread but couldn't taste the actual flavor without the overpowering spices on the bread.

I found a great brand of ghee online that is all grass-fed and has a deep-yellow color, but I'm not sure if I want to overpay for the shipping and stuff if it's not that much different from bytter.

Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                                X