probiotics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• probiotics

i'm about to run out of acidophilus at home, so i went out today to get some more. normally, i just pick up something at a drug store, but today i went to a heath store and saw that there are tons of options for probiotics. i picked up something called PB 8 by Nutrition Now, and spend about $20, which seemed to the low end of prices.
    so, i was wondering what kind of probiotics others are taking, if brand matters, and if anyone knows about some more affordable options.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

I really like Garden of Life Primal Defense and Dr. Ohira's (Im not sure I spelled that right). They are quite expensive (both) but quality IS everything in your probiotics. I have taken some that do not work at all (Phillip's Colon Health (pooey!). You should rotate your probiotics, as you want to get the most strains you can. I tried PB8, didn't notice much of a difference but do with the above (everybody's different).

My husband usually gets sick this time of year and everyone - EVERYONE - I have been in contact with has been sick. It's a miracle neither of us has come down with anything at all - we work with people everyday. I give credit to the probiotics!

I notice a difference digestive wise too (that's pretty much my big way to tell if they are working or not, not just by not getting sick).

Good luck - hope this helps.

Last thing I want to say - even though they are expensive, it costs a lot less than a doctor's visit.....right?.....food for thought.

Comment

What exactly do you mean by seeing a difference in your digestion? I'm trying to figure out a way to (like you) judge the efficacy of probiotics (and other supplements). I don't often get sick though, so that metric won't exactly work.

Comment

Yes, what do probiotics really do for you? I have heard a lot about them, but wasn't sure if they were worth taking.

Comment

The idea is that they help repopulate the gut's stock of "good" bacteria so that they can out-compete the "bad" bacteria. Our natural balance can get thrown out of whack by eating the wrong foods, antibiotics (either doctor-prescribed or in our meat), stress, food poisoning, etc.

Comment

What is an ideal dosage? My wife recently bought PB8, by Nutrition Now, which says it has 14 billion good bacteria.

Comment

I take Jarrow Dophilus. It has 5 billion live organisms. 1 pill per day for me but I hear some people take more depending on how unhealthy their gut is. I believe that 5 bil per day is more of a maintenance level. I do much better with the Jarrow Dophilus (bought it from Whole Foods) compared to the other ones I have tried before by Nature Made and Origin. I haven't had any gut issues for about a year so I am pretty happy with it.
              "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

I take probiotics intermittently but definitely kick up the levels if I've had to have antibiotics, or if I've had a stomach upset, and always if I've been naughty and indulged in too much bread Am currently trialling Healthy Origins with has 30billion CFU's, with 8 different probiotic strains...

Comment

I don't take any probiotics. When I first started primal, I bought into this and took loads - no difference to my IBS so after a few months I stopped. And - no difference. I will try to make sauerkraut when the weather improves a little (cold kitchen syndrome!)

Also - the Jack Lallane saying "if man made it, don't eat it". Someone sure made the probiotic pills - and is getting rich flogging them. I'm sure Grok didn't pop pills.

Comment

Originally posted by breadsauce View Post
                    I don't take any probiotics. When I first started primal, I bought into this and took loads - no difference to my IBS so after a few months I stopped. And - no difference. I will try to make sauerkraut when the weather improves a little (cold kitchen syndrome!)

Also - the Jack Lallane saying "if man made it, don't eat it". Someone sure made the probiotic pills - and is getting rich flogging them. I'm sure Grok didn't pop pills.
                    Very true about what Jack said. We PB followers seem to take a lot of supplements even though Grok didn't, nor did most of our grandparents or ancestors going back past about 100 years. I am starting to wonder if it's all just placebo effect. I don't think there have been many studies to show with any direct conclusion that they lengthen or lives or improve them. Still, here I go this morning popping my fish oil caps, vitamin D, B12, mutlivitamin, etc... I am programmed to believe it must help.

Comment

Originally posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
                      Very true about what Jack said. We PB followers seem to take a lot of supplements even though Grok didn't, nor did most of our grandparents or ancestors going back past about 100 years. I am starting to wonder if it's all just placebo effect. I don't think there have been many studies to show with any direct conclusion that they lengthen or lives or improve them. Still, here I go this morning popping my fish oil caps, vitamin D, B12, mutlivitamin, etc... I am programmed to believe it must help.
                      I think Jack was mostly referring to man-made "foods". Sure we do a lot of things Grok didn't do, but it's because Grok didn't know, he didn't live in our times. We do a lot of things George Washington didn't do, we do a lot of things Biggie Smalls didn't do (baby baybehh) because they're dead and gone (and missed, pourin' champagne for GW..)

Grok ate dirt, so he got his daily probiotics, Grok didn't eat unnatural foods, so he was also safe in that front. He ate better fish/meats, so his D and fish oil were covered, etc, etc, etc.

If you're having such strong mixed feelings regarding supps then experiment being off all of them and just eating a clean diet, these things aren't here to save lives or make them dramatically better, most of them are "needed" because we eat shitty.

What I don't get regarding probiotics is why the need to dose daily or for extended periods of time? Are these "good" bacteria unable to reproduce and populate the gut forever? I asked this before but can't find the thread. I don't know much about bacteria, but I thought they were GREAT at taking over and if the conditions are right, reproducing like crazy. If these are "good" bacteria that our gut is supposed to have, why the need to ingest so many over and over? I'd love an explanation.

Also, I don't eat very clean, I go through periods of sticking closer to the PB script, and veering off it, so... my bacteria is probably all over the place but I wonder, if someone is eating a very good primal way with GF meats, pastured poultry, etc, etc, shouldn't their bacteria be "better" ??
                      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by breadsauce View Post

+1 Now that I am eating 99% Primal and eat some fermented foods each week, I don't take any pro-biotics. My digestion is fantastic! Then again, I don't eat many veggies compared to others here, so I have less fiber to "digest"...
                        Last edited by Dragonfly; 01-26-2011, 06:32 AM.
                        Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                        Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                        Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

What benchmarks do you use to judge how well you are digesting?
                          For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Comment

In PB, Mark says once the "seeds" have been planted in a healthy gut, you don't need to take probiotics every day. Rather take them in times of stress such as when traveling or when your immune system is down.

I used them daily for about three weeks to plant the "seeds". Now I eat a dose of fermented food daily and only pop a probiotic if I'm around sick people or eating non-optimum foods (like at Christmas).

Currently, I'm on antibiotics due to an injury, so I'm taking two pills a day, plus supplementing with fermented foods. I'll keep up the daily pills for at least a week after the prescription ends to make sure my system is back to normal.

I do think probiotics are one of those things that not everyone needs to supplement on a regular basis. At least in pill form.
                            Food should be fun--Thomas Keller

Comment

iniQuity, it's my understanding that the bacteria we want live on the soluble fiber we ingest, mostly fructooligosaccharides and fructopolysaccharides (short and long chains of fructose, respectively). We don't have the enzymes to cleave the fructans so they pass undigested to the large intestine where the bacteria munch on them. I don't know what the other critters eat though *shrug*

MJinLV, love that sigline. I so wish I could afford a trip to the French Laundry.

Comment

Working...
                              X