Meat/Vegetable ratio?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meat/Vegetable ratio?

Hi all, Gina here. Newbie, 51, going through menopause (fun!). Trying to figure out what to eat.

I've already gleaned that my husband and I should be eating a whole lot more vegetables than we were eating. But is there an ideal meat-to-vegetable ratio we should be targeting?

Also, is there a thread here where people post recipes or meal ideas?

Thanks Paleo peeps!
    Positively Radical Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

There's a whole section of the forum with recipes!
    Ideally, (and this is in the standard Primal, no tweaks world), the majority (volume wise) of what you eat should be vegetation of some sort. I usually aim for 1/2- 2/3 of my plate/ bowl being veggies, visually. Calorically, the majority of what you eat will be fat.
    Ex.: When I do spaghetti, I use zucchini noodles instead of pasta. For myself, it's generally, 1 large zucchini, 3-5 tbsp butter, 1/2-1 c cooked down spag sauce and 1/3- 1/2 lb Italian sausage. Bam, mostly veggies.
    Ex.: when I do curry, I put it over slightly wilted spinach. Bam, mostly veggies.
    Ex.: When we do steak, I have salad in what used to be my cereal bowls, and half plate of sauteed veggies, and steak. Bam, mostly veggies.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

Comment

There's no one thread for recipes and meal ideas, but there's a sub-forum.

Click on forum and it's the fourth one down: Primal Blueprint Recipes

Comment

If you do it by calories it is heavily bias towards meat. By volume, my plate is 1/3 protien 2/3 veggies. Your plate size will vary depending on your goals :P
        If your food is fast, maybe you should fast.

Comment

naiadknight really summed it up the basics.

My personal approach is to eat meat to meet my protein needs (most people need between .5 and 1 gram per pound of lean body mass; I shoot for around .8), and then just eat enough vegetables and fat to feel nice and satisfied. Sometimes, vegetables are only 50% of the meal by volume, like when I add 4 oz broccoli to my 2-3 egg omelet. Sometimes, it is most of the meal by volume, like when I have a salad that is about 5 cups spinach and avocado with 1 cup shrimp. I suspect it's pretty hard to overdo it on non-starchy vegetables.
          The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

Hey Gina!!!

It's SUPER important to figure out your own personal ratio where you thrive, but I willl say that going strictly meat and veggies can have some really great short term effects. Ultimately you want to be sure you're getting enough fat to compensate for the lack of carbs in a diet like that and I've found that throwing in a piece of fruit here and there is good to curb stress hormones and avoid some of the issues with super low carb diets for a long period of time.

*** I documented my time with a strict meat and veggie only diet here if you want to see how it effected me: http://meatandvegetablediet.blogspot...nd-veggie.html

That being said... get yourself FAT ADAPTED!!! lol

Hope this helps.
            Last edited by yanks; 07-06-2017, 10:51 AM. Reason: Forgot the link! : )

Comment

Originally posted by HillsideGina View Post
              Hi all, Gina here. Newbie, 51, going through menopause (fun!). Trying to figure out what to eat.

I've already gleaned that my husband and I should be eating a whole lot more vegetables than we were eating. But is there an ideal meat-to-vegetable ratio we should be targeting?

Also, is there a thread here where people post recipes or meal ideas?

Thanks Paleo peeps!
              Welcome to this forum!

I would suggest you go back to the home page and look for the Primal 101 links. Mark is a good enough guy that you don't even need to buy his book(s), although I did to support him.

There isn't any such thing as a meat/veggie ratio. How would you count that? Calorie ratios? Weight? Are you weighing your foods? Starchy veggies or non-starchy?

Many of us long timers have experimented a lot with variations on the old 2008 Primal ideas from Mark. One of the great things about him is that show him new evidence, and he will evolve and advise appropriately. Like moderate consumption of beans and potatoes.

Frankly, I find most vegetables rather blah. No matter how prepared. They spoil fast in the fridge, my frozen ones are ancient.

But I eat rather little meat these days, too. (I'm on weight loss with muscle gains dieting.) My focus is on protein, which is incredibly satiating and prevents muscle wasting. I'm getting what I need with fat free yogurt, whey, peanut flour, eggs. Meat comes in spurts, like after I grill up some ribs or brisket, and also chicken. But it's not a given I'll eat on any given day.

I am not suggesting you do what I do. I'm offering up the idea that there are many ways to have very healthy eating systems. FWIW, my recent blood and urine tests would make a 20 year old athlete green with envy. Such athlete would be 51 years younger than I am. YMMV!

Keep reading Primal 101, you will find a lot of your questions answered, then come back here for those head scratchers.

Comment

I normally recommend splitting your plate in half. Fill one half with meat and the other with plant (veggies)

Comment

JMO,

Figure out your protein for the day.
                  Do the same for your carbs.
                  Cover everything in butter, olive oil, etc.
                  "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

in the film In Defense Of Food, made by a meat-eater, the suggestion is to eat very little meat compared to vegetables and fruits. the reason is because eating a diet rich in meat causes a myriad of health problems as found by scientists. once again, the film was made by a meat eater. thanks and have a nice day!

Comment

Originally posted by priest View Post
                      in the film In Defense Of Food, made by a meat-eater, the suggestion is to eat very little meat compared to vegetables and fruits. the reason is because eating a diet rich in meat causes a myriad of health problems as found by scientists. once again, the film was made by a meat eater. thanks and have a nice day!
                      No one here advocates a diet "rich in meat," whatever that quantitavely and qualitatively means. And, FYI, there ARE people who do that, they are called "zero carbers." There's one famous one that did so for maybe fifty years and finally died........of a car accident. Never ate a veggie from adulthood on.

Comment

"No one here advocates a diet "rich in meat," whatever that quantitavely and qualitatively means."

'quantitavely'? is that Texan for 'quantitatively', or are you without the assistance of a Texas Instruments Speak 'n Spell?

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                        I normally recommend splitting your plate in half. Fill one half with meat and the other with plant (veggies)
                        um, he kind of seems to be in the act of advocating here. I don't know if you consider half a plate full of meat every fornicating meal to qualify as a diet *quantitatively* rich in meat, but doctors certainly seem to be leaning toward "yes".

qualitatively? um, edible meat, I guess? I don't know, Porky. you can use any metric of meat quality you prefer, I can be flexible

Comment

Originally posted by priest View Post
                          "No one here advocates a diet "rich in meat," whatever that quantitavely and qualitatively means."

'quantitavely'? is that Texan for 'quantitatively', or are you without the assistance of a Texas Instruments Speak 'n Spell?

um, he kind of seems to be in the act of advocating here. I don't know if you consider half a plate full of meat every fornicating meal to qualify as a diet *quantitatively* rich in meat, but doctors certainly seem to be leaning toward "yes".

qualitatively? um, edible meat, I guess? I don't know, Porky. you can use any metric of meat quality you prefer, I can be flexible
                          Isn't there some way to get rid of this immature joker?

Comment

come now, Arty. let's not start a witch hunt on the annoyingly-feeble minded. that's not fair to poor old Porky, obviously he has his problems but I think it's best that we embrace tolerance for those who may be experiencing difficulties due to protein toxicity

Comment

Artbuc:
                              Isn't there some way to get rid of this immature joker?
                              Priest:
                              Arty. let's not start a witch hunt on the annoyingly-feeble minded.
                              Artbuc is just being quite polite.
                              Priest, is this self description? I'm not sure why you've adopted Priest as your name, your conduct on this site certainly does not reflect the behavior most people would associate with a priest, of whatever religion you espouse..
                              Please give us all a break, as a "Priest" you are preaching to the choir, but your message is falling on empty ears as the choir loft is empty on MDA, and your constant attempts in slam/insult others is a pain in the butt. As has been noted in several other threads, there are other places where your input may be more well received.
                              The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Comment

Working...
                              X