Why I Don't Use Exercise Supplements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I Don't Use Exercise Supplements

A lot of people have been asking for my thoughts on supplementation. Here ya go!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

I think an argument can be made for pre-workout BCAAs (if fasting) based on solid scientific evidence. The rest is right on.

That being said, you are more fit than I will ever be. :P

Comment

Dude, don't make fun of The Situation, that's not cool.
      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Actually, I was wondering if there was a way to get BCAAs from a pre-workout meal of real food. I did some light Googling and found out that leucine, isoleucine, and valine are considered BCAAs and are present in meat/chicken, eggs, and dairy (as well as some plant sources), so is there a way to get a decent shot of BCAAs with a pre-workout mini-omelet with beef and cheese, or something? I usually just work out first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, but if I could reap some benefits of "supplementing" with a small real food meal before working out, I could switch to noon training. I'd just have to lock my office and warn my officemate.

Comment

Really agree with this.. eat primal, workout.. you will get your results.. 'nuff said

Comment

All good points as usual, Al - I still like my whey isolate though, I don't think it tastes bad and it helps ensure I get plenty of protein even if I don't eat steak and shrimp at every single meal while actively trying to build muscle. If I were maintaining, losing weight, or working on conditioning though I wouldn't bother.
            If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Great stuff, Al! And your amazing physique is proof enough for me--even if I hadn't been reading something similar over at the PaNu blog...
              Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
              Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
              Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Originally posted by Lojasmo View Post
                I think an argument can be made for pre-workout BCAAs (if fasting) based on solid scientific evidence. The rest is right on.

That being said, you are more fit than I will ever be. :P
                Thanks! And of course an argument could be made for BCAA's- in fact it's made all the time. Hence my need to refute it!

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                Dude, don't make fun of The Situation, that's not cool.
                Sarcasm is sometimes hard to convey online. I hope that's what this is!

Originally posted by Melantha View Post
                Actually, I was wondering if there was a way to get BCAAs from a pre-workout meal of real food. I did some light Googling and found out that leucine, isoleucine, and valine are considered BCAAs and are present in meat/chicken, eggs, and dairy (as well as some plant sources), so is there a way to get a decent shot of BCAAs with a pre-workout mini-omelet with beef and cheese, or something? I usually just work out first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, but if I could reap some benefits of "supplementing" with a small real food meal before working out, I could switch to noon training. I'd just have to lock my office and warn my officemate.
                I also often like to work out in the morning on an empty stomach. Sometimes something small to eat is nice, though. I think you can do better than a pill or powder - try the omelet and see for yourself.

Originally posted by coach81 View Post
                Really agree with this.. eat primal, workout.. you will get your results.. 'nuff said
                Yep. That sums it up well!

Originally posted by tfarny View Post
                All good points as usual, Al - I still like my whey isolate though, I don't think it tastes bad and it helps ensure I get plenty of protein even if I don't eat steak and shrimp at every single meal while actively trying to build muscle. If I were maintaining, losing weight, or working on conditioning though I wouldn't bother.
                I hear ya. I drank post-workout protein shakes for years before I got over it. I understand that mindset but I have a different viewpoint now.

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                Great stuff, Al! And your amazing physique is proof enough for me--even if I hadn't been reading something similar over at the PaNu blog...
                Thanks! I guess the proof is in the pudding. Mmm...pudding.
                "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
                  Thanks! And of course an argument could be made for BCAA's- in fact it's made all the time. Hence my need to refute it!
                  Not sure why you "need" to refute it, but how exactly did you accomplish it? I didn't notice any links to scientific studies. The only thing I saw in your post is that you tried glutamine and it didn't do anything for you that you were aware of over the course of several weeks. That's not even what the poster was discussing (there are three BCAAs: leucine, isoleucine and valine (not glutamine). For the record, I'm not claiming anything either way and haven't used BCAA's.

Comment

Bcaa?
                    My homeschooling mom, doula blog: http://naturalparentingsupport.blogspot.com

Comment

What about taking CLA?

Comment

BCAA...Branched chain amino acid.
                        My weak attempt at a journal:http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35809.html

M/30y/190#

Comment

Originally posted by Nitzylplick View Post
                          Not sure why you "need" to refute it, but how exactly did you accomplish it? I didn't notice any links to scientific studies. The only thing I saw in your post is that you tried glutamine and it didn't do anything for you that you were aware of over the course of several weeks. That's not even what the poster was discussing (there are three BCAAs: leucine, isoleucine and valine (not glutamine). For the record, I'm not claiming anything either way and haven't used BCAA's.
                          Touche, my friend!

In hindsight, my use of the word "need" was inappropriate, "desire" is probably a better word. And you're right, I really didn't say much about BCAA's specifically and I haven't used them. I don't expect that I ever will either. I've already wasted a lot of money on supplements over the years, and while BCAA's may be the current flavor of the week, I know better than to buy into the hype. But hey, like I said in the article, I am all for personal experimentation.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by profdjj View Post
                            What about taking CLA?
                            No thanks!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X