Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purchasing 1/4 Cow - All Ground Beef?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Purchasing 1/4 Cow - All Ground Beef?

    I have purchased a 1/2 cow and a 1/4 cow. Now, don't get me wrong... I LOVE steaks and roasts. But, ground beef is A LOT easier to cook and you can do sooooo many things with it!

    One of the options is getting the 1/4 cow processed into ALL ground beef. By doing this I would also get MORE meat! Should I go ahead and try this?

    Has anyone ever ordered a 1/4 cow with it all being ground beef? I wouldn't mind more meat for the same price!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

  • #2
    My wife once asked that our 1/2 pig be all bacon. LOL No go.

    I'd at least have the decent steaks saved out. Tenderloin, T-bone, rib eye. If you're going in with CW folks on the cow, you can probably score the tongue, heart, and liver for free. It worked for me.

    Gordo

    Comment


    • #3
      We like our steaks but definitely use the ground beef the most. haven't used the ribs yet. I think on our next steer we will opt for more ground beef - nobody here has been too keen on the roasts and stew meats. I don't mind getting all of that ground, next time. I have been using the roasts for jerky. YMMV.

      How do you get more, it being ground? Is it not all from the same animal?

      Comment


      • #4
        I don't know...I thought I'd only use th eground beef from our .25 cow, but I ended up finding amazing recipes for shredded beef, thai beef short ribs, kabobs, not to mention t-bone steaks (why are they so good? why!!?). Ultimately, its your money and your time, so get what you want. But there are some tradeoffs....

        Comment


        • #5
          That would be A LOT of ground beef!

          When I got my cow share there was a ton of ground beef in addition to the steaks. Trust me, you won't be lacking in ground meat! Go for the steaks and roasts too!

          Comment


          • #6
            I've not done it (yet) but the place I buy from (polyface farms) has a 1/4 cow package that is all ground beef. They call it the "meatloaf special" LOL. I can definitely see the attraction... I could make up a ton of meatloaf, burgers, meatballs, bolognese sauce, and still have a bunch left over for random recipes. I say go for it!!!

            Comment


            • #7
              You'll get tired of ground beef... haha

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by urbansix View Post
                We like our steaks but definitely use the ground beef the most. haven't used the ribs yet. I think on our next steer we will opt for more ground beef - nobody here has been too keen on the roasts and stew meats. I don't mind getting all of that ground, next time. I have been using the roasts for jerky. YMMV.

                How do you get more, it being ground? Is it not all from the same animal?
                It would all be from the same animal.

                Originally posted by lolov View Post
                I've not done it (yet) but the place I buy from (polyface farms) has a 1/4 cow package that is all ground beef. They call it the "meatloaf special" LOL. I can definitely see the attraction... I could make up a ton of meatloaf, burgers, meatballs, bolognese sauce, and still have a bunch left over for random recipes. I say go for it!!!
                Exactly! There is a lot you can do with ground beef.

                Originally posted by jspradley View Post
                You'll get tired of ground beef... haha
                I really don't think I would.

                Its just simpler to cook... I love to cook but am struggling to find time right now!
                Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Do the organs typically get ground into the mix? I was just thinking about getting more of them on a regular basis without having to specifically cook them.
                  Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by fitmom View Post
                    ... not to mention t-bone steaks (why are they so good? why!!?).
                    When you cook a steak with the bone in it, it adds flavor to the meat.

                    At our house, we run the grill a lot. We have a hard time figuring out how to use up the burger. Har.

                    Gordo

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      If you had it all ground, how would you wind up with more meat? A quarter cow is a quarter cow. I don't understand this part.

                      We got a quarter cow a year ago, and there was a TON of ground beef, but we ended up going through it pretty fast. I would say it is the most useful and versatile cut, but I wouldn't forgo the streaks and roasts.
                      My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
                      On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I think it would be a shame to grind up t-bone and sirloin steaks. there's are REASON they are more expensive than ground.
                        42 yo female; 5'8"
                        Oct 2009: 205 lbs
                        Dec 2010: 167 lbs
                        Current weight: 158 lbs (first time under 160 in 17 years!!!)
                        Goal weight: 145 lbs

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by bokbadok View Post
                          I think it would be a shame to grind up t-bone and sirloin steaks. there's are REASON they are more expensive than ground.
                          TOTALLY agree!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Sell the expensive cuts and use the cash to buy more ground beef.
                            Primal Living since Jan 4/11
                            http://prairieprimal.wordpress.com

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I may have been convinced to forgo making it all ground beef. How would I get more meat if I made it all ground beef? I have no idea. Its just what I remember the farmer telling me. There is the hanging weight. If it is 100 lbs. then you get about 60 lbs. of meat. I was told that if it were to be all ground beef then you would get up to 70 lbs. of the 100 meat.

                              Originally posted by prairiedog View Post
                              Sell the expensive cuts and use the cash to buy more ground beef.
                              It all costs the same no matter what I do... Its $2.75 per lb. of hanging weight.
                              Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X