Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Organic Farm Raised vs Wild Salmon - Advice Needed!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organic Farm Raised vs Wild Salmon - Advice Needed!!!

QUESTION - NEED SOME PRIMAL ADVICE!!!

Organic Farm Raised vs Wild Salmon

Today I went to the grocery store because I wanted to buy some salmon. Unfortunately you can't get fresh, wild salmon here in Switzerland. The only salmon I found was frozen. So I found two different ones in the freezer: 1. Wild Salmon and 2. Organic Farm Raised Salmon. I know that it's important to always buy WILD fish...but when I checked the nutrition facts of both, I got really confused...
    The Organic Farm Raised Salmon had 25g protein and 12.5g of fat...that's kind of what I am used to from the Wild Salmon I used to buy in California.
    The Wild Salmon had 28g of protein but only 3.5g of fat!!!!! How can wild salmon only have 3.5g of fat??? I know that salmon is really healthy, especially because of the omega-3's...but the Wild Salmon here has a lot less fat than the Organic Farm Raised!!!!
    WHICH ONE WOULD YOU BUY???????

Farmed animals are always fatter than their wild counterparts, mostly because they are fed crap food. A fat animal is often an unhealthy animal. Buy the wild salmon.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Salmon farming trashes the environment. Buy the wild caught.

Gordo

Comment

Thanks!
        Just was wondering why the wild salmon has such a little amount of fat? In California it was actually the opposite. The wild salmon had around 13g of fat and the farmed salmon only 3g. It does make sense that wild animals are leaner by nature, but isn't salmon supposed to be pretty fatty???

Comment

Is the frozen salmon perhaps chum or pink salmon? The different varieties have quite different fat contents. The fresh fish we get in season on the pacific coast is usually sockeye or coho, the "more desirable" varieties. Chum and pink is mostly canned or frozen. I personally quite like it though. You might have to add some fat if you are grilling so it doesn't stick and fall apart.
          Salmon freezes pretty well. In fact even fresh salmon was almost certainly frozen for a time in the hold of the ship that caught it so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Might be worth looking around to see what varieties are available in different stores in your area and what you like best, though.

Comment

I'd avoid farmed Salmon at all costs. They are fed all sorts of nasty crap and chemicals. Even if it's organic.. that just means they aren't using GMO's, antibiotics etc.. However, they are still being fed grains and who knows what else. You also have to consider all the pollution run off ending up in the salmon ponds on the farms. I'd avoid it if you can! Wild caught Salmon is some of the best meat you can buy IMO. Absolutely loaded with Omega 3's!

Comment

Originally posted by otamstad View Post
              Thanks!
              Just was wondering why the wild salmon has such a little amount of fat? In California it was actually the opposite. The wild salmon had around 13g of fat and the farmed salmon only 3g. It does make sense that wild animals are leaner by nature, but isn't salmon supposed to be pretty fatty???
              because wild salmon eats omega three algae and farm raised salmon has been taught to eat pellets of corn (omega 6 and starch) and grains. Never buy farmed anything unless you want to die or get sick.

Comment

Farmed salmon is definitely not healthy especially because the food/pellets they feed them are corn based, a nono in the PB program. Also on the wild side there are mercury level concerns depending on where they are harvested. Do the research before you buy that's all I have to say

Good Hunting!

Comment

Thanks so much for the great advice!!!
                  I will do my research and definitely ALWAYS buy the WILD Salmon!!! Thanks again for the help! The support and advice in here is so awesome!!! ...and PRIMAL the best thing I have ever discovered!!!!

Comment

I ALWAYS buy wild caught fish and seafood and avoid farm raised at all costs.
                    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

Wild salmon varies a lot by location, season and variety - sometimes it is really fatty, othertimes extremely lean. The cheaper stuff (coho, etc.) is usually the leaner kind and dries out really quickly. Cook minimally, very fast, and serve with a fat source as a sauce. The big wild alaskan king salmon needs nothing, perhaps a squeeze of lemon, or some fresh dill, and really doesn't need much cooking either.
                      If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Wild caught... fish don't belong in a farm

Comment

Sounds good! Thanks so much you guys!!!!
                          I will see if I can find some wild salmon a bit more fatty....perhaps some wild sockeye salmon....it's my favorite one! ...Otherwise I might stick to wild, local fish from the lake and get most of the Omega-3s through my fish oil supplement.

Comment

Sockeye is the leanest salmon, followed usually by pink, coho, chum and king (may vary depending on condition - spawning salmon have way less fat). Atlantic salmon (the only farmed salmon) are not only fattier naturally, but also the farmed ones have a lot of intramuscular fat which is very different than the subcutaneous fat in wild salmon (which is brown, not white like the intramuscular fat.)

Farming salmon makes NO SENSE. They are carnivores. The food they SHOULD eat is much more valuable food for US as is, than if we run it through them (that is, small shrimps and anchovy-type fish). The food they DO eat on farms is vile, does use some perfectly good anchovy-type stocks, and includes a lot of corn and crap that fish just shouldn't eat. And they are loaded up with antibiotics, antifungals, antiworming meds, hormones, and god knows what else, the effluent from farms poisons the surrounding areas and leads to algae blooms, the sea lice from farms infest the wild stocks as they head out to sea and all the money from them goes to multinational corps, not the local economies where the farms are situated. So yeah, stay away from the farmed salmon. They're just a bad, bad idea.

Comment

wow....after reading this I am 200% sure to never ever buy farmed fish!!! Thanks a lot for your comment!
                              So it doesnt really matter which kind of salmon I get, as long as I get WILD SALMON right?!?

Comment

Working...
                              X