Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I知 interviewing an expert and I need your help

Hey there,

I知 new to this forum and I just wanted to start off by saying hi!

I知 working with a master of science in Nutrition and I have interview scheduled with her next week. I would like to take this opportunity to ask you what questions you would have for her. Perhaps you would like to know some nutritionally or calorically ideal recipes, serving sizes, or maybe you just want to know what is going on in your body. Remember, there are no stupid questions.

To add value to this thread and forum I will post the interview once it痴 done. This will also be as a thank you for helping me out. It will be a direct download linkno email, no forums to fill out. Just take it

I look forward to seeing your questions.

Conrad

a master of science in nutrition is just a conventional wisdom nutritionist? yes? in which case, I pass.

Comment

Ask her what she thinks of Taubes' Good Calories Bad Calories
      Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Good luck, I did volunteer work with the director of nutrition for a major university...don't know that they have a lot to contribute. Just prepackaged CW.

I suppose you can ask about
        Antinutrients in beans and legumes
        Leaky gut fact or fiction
        The lipid hypothesis

Comment

Conrad,
          Sorry to say it, but she is going to give the same old High Carb Low Fat BULLSH*T found in the FDA "Food Pyramid." You will be wasting your time.

Be blunt with her. Just ask her about the Paleo Diet, she will freak out.
          Then ask her why the American Diabetes Association and diabetes doctors tell patients to eat a high carb, low fat diet. Ha Ha Ha - I would like to hear what she says to defend THAT bullsh*t.

Grizz

Comment

Even if she spouts CW like Old Faithful, I"m not sure this needs to be a confrontation. It might actualy be an opportunity to learn something. I'd ask about insulin and glycemic loading. Also whether she believes there's any validity to the theory that since we haven't evolved very much from our HG ancestors 10,000 years ago, it's best to replicate hteir diet? Might ask whether diet has anything to do with the alraming rises in obesity, diabetes, and autism over the past 10, 20, 50 years...

Comment

Everyone is stupid except the people here, didn't you know. lol
              Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

Comment

I知 interviewing an expert and I need your help

Great questions so far. Keep them coming.
                Last edited by 123nutrition; 01-25-2011, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Ask her for a day's worth of meals that supplies the RDA in all nutrients

Comment

Ask about how the body utilizes carbohydrates, Robb Wolf says they are metabolized to fat. If so, why does the food pyramid recommend so many servings of carbs?

Comment

Ask her about the effects of both carbohydrates and fat on insulin. If she says carbs raise insulin level and fat doesn't, ask her why then the ADA recommends eating so many servings of whole grains. If she says whole grains have micronutrients, then talk about putrid acid content in them that blocks the absorption of these micronutrients by our body. Talk about saturated fats being stable. Talk about traditional foods and methods, how traditional cultures prepared their foods. It may not convert her, but at least she'll start thinking about the nonsense the FDA, ADA, etc spout. Good luck with the interview. Do report back how it goes.

Comment

Damn spell check! Phytic acid, not putrid acid.

Comment

Originally posted by maba View Post
                          Damn spell check! Phytic acid, not putrid acid.
                          But an appropriate substitution. Your spell check is primal.

Comment

I'd be interested in hearing about her take on fiber - I'm assuming she adheres to the government's suggestion of 30 or so grams a day, and I'd like to know what scientific evidence she is basing that on. (Or, I suppose, what they told her in class, since I've never met a nutritionist who has done their own research beyond what they learned in classes.)

Everything I've been reading points to the fiber recommendations being sort of like the saturated fat recommendations: rarely supported by scientific studies, and probably originally motivated by money and politics. Mark's page on fiber is a good starting point if you haven't read about this -- it summarizes a few of the major areas where fiber isn't living up to the hype.
                            "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandadude View Post
                              Ask her for a day's worth of meals that supplies the RDA in all nutrients
                              I would love to see that, actually. I tracked one day (I know, really need to do a week or so) and was pretty good on most vitamins, but mineral content SUCKED.

Comment

Working...
                              X