Deer Antler Velvet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deer Antler Velvet?

Has anyone read or heard about this (see links below)? It's been in the news recently because pro athletes (NFL) are using it.

Apparently, deer velvet can be taken off the antlers and then ground down and ingested as a powder or spray. The result is that those who ingest see an increase in naturally occuring IGF-1 production similar to what using illegal synthetic HGH does (at least I think - I'm not too well versed in science).

I don't really care about the pro athlete aspect of the story. Rather, it makes me wonder if deer antler velvet is at all Primal related. I mean, would Grok, in his effort to utilize every single part of a deer carcass that he hunted, scrape off the felt and ingest it somehow? I don't think it's that far-fetched. It's interesting that there could be a natural substance (not lab made) that can have a profound effect.

Btw, I e-mailed this topic to Mark asking him to possibly address this subject in a future post. Of course, he might not get around to it for whatever reason, and so I wanted to bring it up on the forum for people's reaction and/or insight.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/slan...eadlights-look

http://www.thirdage.com/news/deer-an...etes_1-20-2011

I've been pretty interested in trying out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGSH7CLj4TE

Comment

sounds like bullshit at first glance.
      Starting Weight : 338lbs 6/11/2010
      Current Weight: 266lbs
      High-school Weight: 235lbs
      Goal: ????

Comment

I remember reading the label of a bottle in the health food store, for libido enhancement. It was deer antler velvet (I never tried it). Too scared of taking something that might raise my blood pressure or something.
        I'm a quitter...but I'm back now.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ View Post
          sounds like bullshit at first glance.
          Yeah, I agree...it does sound like bs...at first glance. I'm sure it doesn't do all the things people claim it does (like in the video Tarek linked, which is interesting btw). However, it must do something - if it didn't elevate or cause increase production of IGF then why would professional sports leagues be looking to ban it (and that, to me, is where the dilemma occurs because it's not a lab created chemical - it's a substance that nature makes!)?

Comment

Originally posted by hckyfn80 View Post
            Yeah, I agree...it does sound like bs...at first glance. I'm sure it doesn't do all the things people claim it does (like in the video Tarek linked, which is interesting btw). However, it must do something - if it didn't elevate or cause increase production of IGF then why would professional sports leagues be looking to ban it (and that, to me, is where the dilemma occurs because it's not a lab created chemical - it's a substance that nature makes!)?
            placebo effect? That's what most of the pseudo-science stuff works off of.
            Starting Weight : 338lbs 6/11/2010
            Current Weight: 266lbs
            High-school Weight: 235lbs
            Goal: ????

Comment

Originally posted by Russ View Post
              placebo effect? That's what most of the pseudo-science stuff works off of.
              True, but pro sports leagues such as the NFL would not ban based on a placebo effect. The drug test results have to be positive. From one of the articles "For the elite athlete, experts say it’s essentially a human growth hormone, one of the substances organized sports is trying to keep out." Now, I know the word expert gets thrown around way too much, but that doesn't sound like a placebo effect to me.

I guess my point in bringing this topic up is that I could easily see Grok eating this. He hunts a deer and then does all the stuff that we normally assume he would do (eat the meat, eat the edible organs, use the hide for clothing/shelter, etc.)...why wouldn't he possibly scrape the felt off and then grind it down and eat it as well? And, if so, is this something that could be included in a Primal lifestyle?

Comment

It's a Chinese traditional medicine thing, so it might do some good. If i ever take down a deer, even though I don't hunt, I have got to try this.

Comment

I recall my father-in-law making Chinese home remedies that incorporated small deer antlers. The big deal was that it had to have the velvet on it. Apparently it's been used in Chinese medicine for a very long time. What effect it has, I don't know, but this stuff was only given to adult males.
                  You donít stop riding because youíre getting old, you get old because you stop riding.

Comment

Deer antler velvet is a classic Chinese medicine ingredient. For a good description of its benefits, read this:
                    http://www.dragonherbs.com/prodinfo.asp?number=006

PS- any time you see the "kidneys" talked about in Chinese medicine, it indicates an effect on the hormonal and endocrine systems (which is why libido is one of the things antler velvet is used to treat).

I did use antler velvet years ago (Planetary Formulas brand) for about 3 months, to heal my gut lining. It's very good for this. An unexpected side effect was much better muscle tone. My arms looked buff and I wasn't working out! So, it would seem that some of the claims do bear out
                    Some people could experience side effects from it, if they tend to run hot, temp-wise. It's a very "yang"/hot herb (great for us cold folks!) but not something that should be overused.
                    http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

To be honest, when I first opened that video Tarek put up I thought it was going to be a joke, but it was actually pretty interesting. I'm not ready to jump on board with it just yet, but it's worth further looking into. As far as it looking like BS at first glance, maybe it is I don't yet. But keep in mind, there are a lot of people who are saying the same thing about the whole paleo/primal thing.
                      My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Comment

Originally posted by hazyjane View Post
                        Some people could experience side effects from it, if they tend to run hot, temp-wise. It's a very "yang"/hot herb (great for us cold folks!) but not something that should be overused.
                        Hmmm...My hands warmed up when I stopped eating wheat. I've been asked what I'd have to stop eating to make my feet warm up.

Intriguing.
                        Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Comment

This is interesting. Over Xmas my wife's sister-in-law invited over a rather interesting guy that went on all night on various research topics he does. Of course he's got it all solved - cancer, aging, health etc. Anyway, 'growth factors' from deer antlers was one of the items he touched on. The idea is that the antlers are pretty much the single fastest-growing phenemenon in the animal kingdom; as such, they must contain some powerful growth-promoting compounds. He indicated that the 'good stuff' is all concentrated in the tips (since that's where the growth occurs), but that most conventional sources use the entire antler.
                          Now, I'm not 100% sure that this is the same as the 'velvet' that you get commercially. I got the impression that it was actually more like the 'marrow' of the antler tips rather than the velvet, but to be honest I wasn't exactly rivited to what he was saying.

Struck me as one of those that was grounded in just enough fact to be plausible, but could just as easily be bogus as have any real effect.

Comment

It's a chinese medicinal herb, you should really only take it if it's been prescribed to you by someone trained, and certified in chinese medical herbalism. People in the west see "herbalism" and think that it means that they should play around with it, but it's actually pretty serious, and takes alot of training to know how to do properly. Honestly most people won't benefit from this particular herb as much as they would an herbal formula tailor made for their constitution according the TCM (traditional chinese medicine) which isn't some hippie crap you can get down at whole foods, or off the internet. Of course westerners don't wanna hear that, but I ain't bullshitting you on this.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthFriendly View Post
                              It's a chinese medicinal herb, you should really only take it if it's been prescribed to you by someone trained, and certified in chinese medical herbalism. People in the west see "herbalism" and think that it means that they should play around with it, but it's actually pretty serious, and takes alot of training to know how to do properly. Honestly most people won't benefit from this particular herb as much as they would an herbal formula tailor made for their constitution according the TCM (traditional chinese medicine) which isn't some hippie crap you can get down at whole foods, or off the internet. Of course westerners don't wanna hear that, but I ain't bullshitting you on this.
                              +1.
                              Darth really is right. TCM is very intricate and although there are tonic formulas that most people can safely take, herbs can cause an imbalance to worsen if you don't know what you're doing.
                              Example: I can't take antler velvet right now at all- it's way too hot for me because I'm currently "kidney yin deficient" (meaning lacking cool yin energy) and if I were to take a hot kidney yang tonic like antler velvet, it would imbalance me further and I'd end up with night time hot flashes, red eyes, bad dreams (all from too much heat making its way through my kidneys, then liver, then heart). Not fun.
                              When I took it years ago, I wasn't yin deficient- I was yang deficient, and so it benefited me at that time.
                              http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X