Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calories, and Fat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Calories, and Fat

    Okay, so...I'm a calorie counter. I'm finding it very difficult on my lower calorie days to get in enough fats AND enough protein, even when my carbs are low.

    Does anyone have suggestions as to how I could balance this out?

  • #2
    stop counting your calories. focus on eating real food, & your calories probably won't even matter.
    And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

    http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

    Comment


    • #3
      Eat coconut oil straight out of the jar. It's delish!
      --Trish (Bork)
      TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
      http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
      FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Dr. Bork Bork View Post
        Eat coconut oil straight out of the jar. It's delish!
        Yeah I'm just gonna be honest and say that I personally think this is horrible advice and instead try something more fulfilling like coconut milk, some meat, eggs cooked in butter, greens cooked in butter, hot cocoa made out of coconut milk, a link of sausage, etc. etc.

        Sure, maybe Bork Bork loves coconut oil so much that eating with a spoon is good for her, but that's not something I'd recommend to all the new people i've seen starting on these forums lately.

        I would never have been able to maintain a diet when I first started if eating oil out of jar was what I was told to do to get my "ratios" in line

        Comment


        • #5
          Sorry. Coconut oil helps me get my fat up over 50%, and I only have a tablespoon at a time and if I'm still a little hungry after eating. It helps nip hunger in the bud for hours, so I thought a tablespoon would be ok.
          --Trish (Bork)
          TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
          http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
          FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by aboutsaffron View Post
            stop counting your calories. focus on eating real food, & your calories probably won't even matter.
            +1
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

            Comment


            • #7
              Read the book. Eat when you're hungry, don't when you're not, eat lots of fat and protein and some carbs in the form of veg.

              Simple as that.
              The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
              Blog
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                I lost most of my weight last year(25 pounds) by eating primal, but also by keeping track of my calories using dailyplate.com. However, I am going to try once again to keep my fat intake high, carbs low, and not track my calories for a few months to see what happens.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by primalrob View Post
                  +1
                  +2!!
                  Get on my Level
                  http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by aboutsaffron View Post
                    stop counting your calories. focus on eating real food, & your calories probably won't even matter.
                    How would I lose weight if calories didn't matter? I know there's possibly more to it than just calories in vs. out, but it doesn't make sense to me that I'd be able to lose weight eating the same amount, just of a different kind of food.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by sneezingstardust View Post
                      How would I lose weight if calories didn't matter? I know there's possibly more to it than just calories in vs. out, but it doesn't make sense to me that I'd be able to lose weight eating the same amount, just of a different kind of food.
                      if you are eating primal food and exercising, it's highly unlikely that you will be hungry enough to eat a caloric load that would cause you to gain weight. measure your calories once in a while if you need to, just don't obsess over them. eating fats and proteins will keep you full, so you will likely eat less in the long run, and those foods don't cause big insulin spikes, which leads to fat storage.

                      give us your height/weight/etc. stats and a breakdown of what you usually eat, and we may be able to help you firm up your ratios and things so that calories don't matter, or matter very little
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        calories DO matter, it's true. but eating high fat/low carb makes it very hard for your calories to be too high - fat is just so satiating, you'll stop before you reach a huge calorie max.

                        if you want to track something for weightloss, track your carb grams (keep them in the 80-100 range for slow weight loss; under 50 for faster) & the ratio of fat to the other macronutrients. whenever i've fallen into the calorie trap, i end up eating too many carbs since fat is so calorie dense & then usually gain rather than lose. eat meat & veggies cooked with plenty of fat. keep dairy to a minimum. enjoy a piece of fruit once every few days. get plenty of sleep, vitamin d, & some activity in everyday. when i stick to this, i lose. when i don't, things hang around or nudge on up.
                        And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
                        Kahlil Gibran

                        http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by primalrob View Post
                          if you are eating primal food and exercising, it's highly unlikely that you will be hungry enough to eat a caloric load that would cause you to gain weight. measure your calories once in a while if you need to, just don't obsess over them. eating fats and proteins will keep you full, so you will likely eat less in the long run, and those foods don't cause big insulin spikes, which leads to fat storage.

                          give us your height/weight/etc. stats and a breakdown of what you usually eat, and we may be able to help you firm up your ratios and things so that calories don't matter, or matter very little
                          Well, that is true. I notice since I cut out starchy carbs I'm much more satiated, and I can fast for longer periods of time.

                          I'm 5'1", 137 lbs. I'm looking to get back down to around 126-127, but not much lower. I always eat eggs, chicken, protein powders (they're just a godsend for me), coconut milk, coconut (unsweetened), full-fat creams, olive oil, nuts, seeds, veggies, fruits, etc...basically almost 100% primal, aside from eating dark chocolate and cheese in moderation. I usually have high carb days and low carb days...higher carbs would be on workout days, and days that I have off I usually eat quite low carbs (<70g). Higher days don't usually go over 130g of carbs. I'm aiming for a little more protein because I'm in a deficit calorie-wise, and don't want to lose muscle or strength.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            You sound like you are doing great but in danger of suffering from paralysis by overanalysis. You can lose weight by never snacking and eating 2 or 3 filling primal meals a day - the calories will work themselves out whether you count or don't. If that doesn't seem to be working, sure, do a bit of counting and look at your snack habits.
                            If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by tfarny View Post
                              You sound like you are doing great but in danger of suffering from paralysis by overanalysis. You can lose weight by never snacking and eating 2 or 3 filling primal meals a day - the calories will work themselves out whether you count or don't. If that doesn't seem to be working, sure, do a bit of counting and look at your snack habits.
                              I suppose I could do that. I do tend to over-think things.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X