Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What veggies do you consider non-primal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What veggies do you consider non-primal?

Besides the obvious ones like white/yellow potatoes (although I've heard a few folks say they eat them in small quantities) and corn, what other veggies do you consider non-primal?

I'm thinking about sweeter/starchier ones like carrots, turnips, parsnips, yams, winter squash, etc. Do you eat them? What do you consider non-primal in the veggie dept for your WOE?

I eat everything you mentioned. Corn I limit a lot but I’m actually having some kernels today for lunch mixed with other frozen vegs and I’m not going to exclude them.

White potatoes I eat sometimes, I like the taste but understand they’re inferior to their sweet counterparts or to yams.

All these fit into my life because I like to be active and I like to exercise. I think a person following the primal WOF can do without, if they’re not exercising beyond what the PBF suggests.

I do think that being “scared” of these tubers/starches is a bit silly. In moderation, I can’t see them derailing people’s efforts to lose fat (which is what most of us are after) and may even help if “used” properly, as in, post workout mostly, as a way to replenish glycogen stores in the muscles and have them be ready to lift another day.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

as far as things such as 'carrots, turnips parsnips, winter squash' Mark talks about each of these explicitly ... no reason to think of any of them as non-primal ... ... he talks about Yams too... ...

still...to answer your questions the only 'vegetables' I consider to be not Primal are the ones we all know... Legumes... beans and the like... if you count them as veggies... 0.0
      sigpic

Comment

one way to look at it....if you were in the forest and came across parsnips and turnips and a lettuce head and collards....which would you pick, the biggest bang for the buck, the starchier roots (i dont think winter squash are primal, werent they made by mixing seeds by us?)
        Get on my Level
        http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

I think of all plants as primal - they just grow (aside from genetically mutated corn, which is the devil). My qualifier is whether or not it's in line with my goals for the reasons I'm being primal. So yams and potatoes may be natural and primal, but they still have too many carbs for the phase I'm in.
          carl's cave

Comment

carlh...very well put...

Comment

corn is a grain, not a veg

Comment

I eat all of those. Corn - fresh corn in season and a few corn tortillas per week. Lots of small, orgainc potatoes.
                Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

um, green peas, I think are not primal, but...I eat occasionally. and some say green beans, but again...

Comment

You would consider not eating YAMS? Blasphemy!

I loves me some yams.

Comment

little gem lettuce
                      activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Comment

Not primal!
                        * Pixy's Quest for Regaining Health *
                        Trying to gain weight, clear scarring acne, and fix thyroid and digestive issues with primal lifestyle- here goes something!

Comment

Originally posted by carlh View Post
                          I think of all plants as primal - they just grow (aside from genetically mutated corn, which is the devil). My qualifier is whether or not it's in line with my goals for the reasons I'm being primal. So yams and potatoes may be natural and primal, but they still have too many carbs for the phase I'm in.
                          +1

Green Beans are technically a legume but I LOVE THEM and will eat them for the rest of my life. Its more pod then bean. Green beans are healthy and give me zero problems.
                          Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by MalPaz View Post
                            one way to look at it....if you were in the forest and came across parsnips and turnips and a lettuce head and collards....which would you pick, the biggest bang for the buck, the starchier roots (i dont think winter squash are primal, werent they made by mixing seeds by us?)
                            I'd pick none, unless I was starving and then I'd only eat it until I slaughtered an animal.

People seem to have this view that Grok was some desperate scavenger who ate everything he could get his grubby, gnarly hands on, be it every plant food or eating every part of the animal he killed. It seems more likely that he would have ate what he wanted and left what he didn't feel like eating, be it plant or animal.

On a related note, this where Cordain makes a mistake. Just because animals have a certain ratio of fat to protein doesn't mean that humans ate that ratio. There is nothing to stop them leaving some of the leaner parts of the animal (along with some organs, such as the stomach) and then going off and killing another animal.

People have an entrenched, unacknowledged view that life pre-agriculture was nasty, short and brutish and characterised by desperation, scarcity and frequent starvation.
                            A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

I've been wondering about green peas since I toss a 1/4 cup into my big a** salads.

Comment

Working...
                              X