Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green beans - yes or no?

Hey all!

Are green beans allowed in Primal Blueprint? I'm not sure about it and I am not sure if they are a vegetable or not..

Beans such as:
    Grok from Germany

Primal since End/Beginning of 2010/2011

Hi,

Not really. These are a legume and should be avoided. That being said, we have green beans once or twice a week at our house with no ill-effects.

Comment

I eat them once in a while with no ill effects, too. I love them with salt and butter.

Comment

They got plenty of protein. What about other beans? Like red beans/kidney beans?
        Grok from Germany

Comment

Originally posted by traintolive View Post
          They got plenty of protein. What about other beans? Like red beans/kidney beans?

Legumes in general are not great for you. That said, I am rather embarrassed to admit that I thought green beans were okay. They are not beans - they are long, green, stalky things...oh wait, grass is also a long, green stalky thing, so is wheat.... Sometimes I am amazed I can tie my own shoes.

Comment

Many paleo folks accept green beans...even the strict "whole 30" allows them since they are mostly pod and little bean. We don't generally eat them but maybe once a month...hasn't killed us yet.

Other beans (red/kidney) I'd say no they aren't primal..........you could go through the process of properly soaking/preparing them to mitigate their legumey badness. IMO, they aren't worth it. Doesn't make them primal, but it would make them less bad.
            Last edited by kennelmom; 01-19-2011, 08:12 AM.
            Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Green beans are really the only legumes I do eat. I just have them on occasion, usually whenever we go to a barbecue place. That's about the only as close to primal veggie you can get with BBQ.

Comment

I used to only eat these because they were healthy. I like being able to refuse them on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
                  Green beans are really the only legumes I do eat. I just have them on occasion, usually whenever we go to a barbecue place. That's about the only as close to primal veggie you can get with BBQ.
                  We have a bbq place where I live that makes spicy greens that are to die for.
                  Georgette

Comment

Looks okay to me!
                    Results Pics:
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...d6138-245.html

Mandolin's Primammalian Cave Wall

Vegetarian=an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter"

iHerb.com $5 off first order code: AMA998

Comment

I really love green beans put in a slow cooker with some bacon, mmmmm. Sadly, ever since going primal every time I eat any green beans I feel like I just drank 20 energy drinks consecutively in 5 minutes and have to jog endlessly to burn off all that energy. I don't know why this happens to me but it feels so uncomfortable that I don't eat green beans anymore.
                      Without music life would be a mistake.

Comment

yeah they're even on the front cover of the PB Cookbook. Plus, if not even eating green beans, what else would you be allowed to eat?! Haha
                        Grok from Germany

Comment

Originally posted by Someguy View Post
                          I really love green beans put in a slow cooker with some bacon, mmmmm. Sadly, ever since going primal every time I eat any green beans I feel like I just drank 20 energy drinks consecutively in 5 minutes and have to jog endlessly to burn off all that energy. I don't know why this happens to me but it feels so uncomfortable that I don't eat green beans anymore.
                          Well then YOU should EAT GREEN BEANS!!
                          That whole Primal stuff is also based on being happy and if you're not happy with something of it, then CHANGE it!
                          I mean don't go too strict! That's bull!!
                          Grok from Germany

Comment

Without any data to prove it, I suspect they are lower in lectins/phytoxins than dried beans.
                            Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                            Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                            Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Originally posted by Someguy View Post
                              Try eating them without the heroin sprinkled on top

Comment

Working...
                              X