Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With Hypoglycemia, How can I do this? Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With Hypoglycemia, How can I do this? Help!

I have hypoglycemia and have tried to eat according to the Primal Blueprint. My BG drops in spite of me eating fruits and veggies with every meal. And when it drops, I feel so awful and it's like my brain can't function and I get really STUPID. I never even had hypoglycemia symptoms until I was 25. Now I'm 31. I've been trying to live with this for about 6 years now. It is so frustrating, because I CAN NOT forget to eat. I have to remember to pack snacks and juice for low BG episodes. And it makes it VERY hard to lose the weight I've gained. I gained about 45 pounds 4 years ago when I quit smoking. Within 6 months of quitting smoking, I'd gained all that weight. I had begun eating late at night, eating until I felt about to burst, and craving sweets. Since then, it has been such a struggle to lose the weight. Restricting calories and going to the gym makes me very hungry all the time. And being hungry all day, every day gets real old, real quick!

I just wonder... should I eat a few more carbs than what is called for to lose weight???? My hypoglycemia makes this such a struggle for me. I agree SO much with the Primal Blueprint and REALLY want to follow it but I can't have my BG dropping (because of passing out and people calling the ambulance on you... VERY dangerous).

We have a few people who have dealt with hypoglycemia on here and I'm sure they'll pop on eventually.

I think the first step is to cut out grains and sugars (refined). Go ahead and eat more often at first, if you need to, but be sure to include plenty of fat in your meals (the good fats, olive oil on salads, avocado, fat from good meats). Eventually the point is that your body will learn to burn fats for fuel instead of carbs which will help prevent the hypoglycemic ups and downs. But people who have had serious hypoglycemia will have better suggestions.

Have you tried using the search function on the forum and searching 'hypoglycemia'? I am betting you'll find several threads with some good info in the meantime.
    sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

Good saturated fats are the key to stabilizing blood sugar. In the past, if I skipped breakfast I would wind up in a food panic. Not I put a couple of ounces of heavy cream in my coffee and I'm good till noon. Try easing off the fruits and veggies, just for right now, and fill your diet with meat, coconut oil/milk, eggs, heavy cream, etc. Keep some nuts around to deal with crashes. And don't go hungry---eat enough! You can cut back when you're not crashing.
      It WILL get better! Good luck.

Comment

I am cutting out grains and refined sugars. My brother is the one who referred me to the Primal Blueprint. He actually gave me the book. He's lost ALL axcess weight from following it. He looks so great and says he feels better than he ever has and that he's hardly ever hungry. i think that's amazing and I want to do it too. But he doesn't suffer from hypoglecemia... lucky him.

I did do a search for "hypoglycemia" on the site, but not specifically on the forum. I'll try that. Thanks.

Comment

Maybe you could post a typical daily menu to give us a better idea of what you are eating and when. I have had problems with hypoglycemia for many years and now my blood sugar seems so stable on primal. The fruit may be a problem if you are eating a lot of it. I would suggest very limited berries for now.
          True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
          The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Comment

Your BG is not dropping "in spite of" fruits at every meal. It's dropping BECAUSE OF fruits at every meal. For a hypoglycemic to do the PB, you MUST do it VLC (very-low-carb; under 20 grams per day) at first, and for at least the first month or two at minimum. During that time, eat NO fruit, and NO nuts, and NO cheese. Non-starchy (green) veggies and fats and eggs and meat only, until you get your BG completely under control.

Those of us who have hypoglycemia and diabetes have to modify the PB to remove even the "healthy" sugars that most people can eat. We don't have the ability to handle those things anymore, because our pancreases are whacked out already.

However, this doesn't mean you have to restrict calories and be hungry! Eat as many calories as you need to feel full - just don't eat them from carby sources. Have fat, meat, fat, leafy greens, and more fat. Have LOTS of fat. That's what's going to make the difference for you.
            Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Ok, so one day, I ate almost a whole rotisserie chicken. That was ALL I ate for lunch. My stomach was FULL but my BG dropped.... Care to explain that one, Griff?

Comment

He might if you ask him nicely.

Comment

I wasn't meaning to sound unkind, aktres. I'm just genuinely confused about how I should go about eating this way when my BG drops so much.... ?

Comment

Your body has to adapt, and it needs time. Drop ALL grains, fruits, starches and sugars. Eat whenever you are hungry but do not eat those items.

I had this exact problem. I had to eat constantly in order to not crash. I had a couple of uncomfortable weeks when I first started eating this way, but now the roller coaster is GONE. I am now more tolerant of sugar in my diet; I can have dessert, or potatoes, or fruit, and still not crash. (A bagel or a pasta dinner is a different story.)

Be patient, & good luck.

eta Don't restrict calories until you have adapted. And don't drink juice.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblespb79 View Post
                      Ok, so one day, I ate almost a whole rotisserie chicken. That was ALL I ate for lunch. My stomach was FULL but my BG dropped.... Care to explain that one, Griff?
                      Because your liver does something called gluconeogenesis, for one, and because your body is still expecting sugar, for another. So your liver turned some of the protein from that chicken into glucose, and your body dumped way too much insulin, and your sugar bottomed out.

This is when you have to retrain your body to start using ketones instead of carbs. It will take a few days, it will not be fun, and you will have whacky BG while you're settling in - but you have to believe that it will settle down. Eat fat whenever you bottom out or get hungry.

What kind of BG are you talking about when you say "dropped", by the way? Can you give us an average number?
                      Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Comment

Originally posted by pebblespb79 View Post
                        Because protein is not insulin neutral.
                        Also if you buy a rotisserie chicken from a conventional deli, the dry rub is loaded with sugar.

Give it time. It might take a couple months. Do you have a glucometer? You might try testing after different singular foods and see how they affect you.
                        Your lows are likely caused by too many highs caused by fruits and certain veggies.

Eta: griff explained well above.
                        Last edited by Bishop; 01-18-2011, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Well, I haven't actually tested my my BG level in some time. I just know the symptoms. I know when I get to where I don't process what people are saying to me and I'm shaking and feeling like I'm about to pass out, that my sugar is dropping and it's time to get it back up immediately. I also get very irritable when it's dropping, which is embarrassing to me, because that's not my normal personality. I've discussed it with my doctor, and he told me it's not necessary to test my BG regularly since I can feel the symptoms. And he said the way to prevent it is by eating every 3 hours and not going over a certain amount of calories a day...... I would SO LOOOOVE to get out of this rut of keeping my sugar up. And I do know that the last time I felt that way and actually tested it, my meter thing said "LOW", which means it was below 70 I think.

But, now that I'm trying this way of eating, I believe I'll get my meter back out and begin using it regularly. I will post and let you know how that goes. I'll keep track of what I'm eating and what the meter says.... Thanks for the suggestions!

Comment

Definitely get the meter back out. For me, when I felt "low" it was actually in the 90s - but then I'd been running at an average of around 200. Don't just go by how you feel. When you have blood sugar issues like this, it's important to check, and check, and check with a meter a LOT when you are changing your diet.

You will have the shakies and the crankies when you are kicking the carb habit, and for you it may be especially pronounced because you've spent at least six years training your body to believe in sugar and nothing but (juice is just sugar, as is fruit) but after you've kicked the addiction your BGs will level out like you never dreamed possible. Look up "carb flu" on this site and learn about it. I had it for about four days; my husband had it for six weeks because he kept doing what you're doing - feeding it with carbs, and he's a reactive hypoglycemic himself. Getting through it faster is better, in my opinion.

Your doctor is operating on bad information, as 90% of all doctors are. The cure to sugar addiction is not to have more sugar.

Comment

Wow, thanks, Griff! I'm excited and hopeful about this! Maybe I should lock myself in my bedroom and stay away from people for the first couple days! haha....

Comment

Working...
                              X