MEATS you eat - help me make a list

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MEATS you eat - help me make a list

Hey all! I'm planning on writing a blog post on ... MEAT...

I want to write about lots of different kinds of meat that people wouldn't necessarily be familiar with, so... can you help me please?

What kinds of meat do you like to eat? Please let me know the name of the meat/cut + what animal it comes from. Don't forget organ meats too, if you're a fan!

Maybe put them into these categories:

Poultry:

Red meat:

Fish/Seafood:

Reptiles/Amphibians:

Organ meat:

Other (insects? anything else?):

Thanks in advance! I appreciate your help.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

I love love love my steak!!!

ground pork

Pork chops

bacon

salmon

have not tried an insect, don't think I will

xoxo Darlene

Comment

Poultry: Chicken, Pheasant, Duck (I LOVE Duck!)

Red meat: Beef, Lamb, GOAT (I also love Goat, more than life itself.) I get most of my lamb and goat from a nearby Halal butcher---they get the meat from a farm in Stockton.

Fish/Seafood: Salmon, Halibut, Tuna, Sardines, Herring and MACKEREL (yum). I get this from a fishmonger at our local Farmer's Market in San Francisco.

Organ meat: Eeeeyuuuuu. Except for Liver and Onions, which I love, but am too much of a p**ssy to cook in my apartment.

Comment

Poultry: Chicken

Red meat: Beef, lamb, buffalo

Fish/Seafood: Salmon, tuna, tilapia, cod, mahi mahi

Reptiles/Amphibians: Can't say that I have.

Organ meat: Liver

Other (insects? anything else?): I think I'll pass on this one, too.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
        Current weight: 199
        Goal: 145

Comment

Thanks for your responses so far!

I wanted to add two more categories:

Mixed meats: (stuff like sausages or anything else that is a meat "product" but still good and real food)

NON-MEAT: (things you wouldn't want to eat because they're so processed/nasty... baloney, hot dogs, spam, whatever)

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Comment

Foods I've tried/love

Poultry: Chicken, Turkey, Quail

Red Meat: Beef, lamb, goat (my favoritest)

Fish/Seafood: Salmon, Tuna, Mackerel, Tilapia, Cod, Shrimp, Crab, scallops ... I eat most seafood

Reptile: Don't think I have had any

Organ meat: Brain, Liver, Kidney, Heart, Testicles, Tongue, Intestine (ages ago), might have had lung too but I forget. Blood in the form of black pudding.

Other: Goat head and trotters

ETA:

Mixed meat: Sausage (Chorizo)

NON-MEAT: Most processed meats

Yeah, trotters are feet. I've had goat trotters. Most organs I've eaten are from goat too. I eat beef liver.

Comment

What's "trotters"? The hoofs or something?

Do you have anything for "Mixed meats" and "non meats"?

Comment

Poultry: Chicken, spatchcock, quail, duck - all whole

Red meat: Beef - steak (t-bone, rump), skirt for jerky or stew meat (shin, ossobucco, brisket)

Pork - chops, pork belly, ribs, roast (loin, shoulder, neck, belly, leg)

Lamb - chops, roast (leg)

Kangaroo - steak

Camel is ok

Fish/Seafood: Salmon, grouper, most other fish, shrimp, octopus, squid - all whole

Reptiles/Amphibians: Crocodile is ok

Organ meat: liver, heart, blood (sausages). Getting some brains next

Mixed meats: sausages (100% beef), mince, bacon (no sugar or nitrates and extremely low salt)

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
                Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
                Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Comment

Guess I'll do mine.

Poultry: chicken, turkey, ground turkey

Red meat: beef (steaks, roasts, ground beef), pork, ground pork

Fish/Seafood: tuna, salmon, scallops, shrimp, crab, I'm sure some other things I'm not thinking of.

Reptiles/Amphibians: alligator (a few times), tried frog legs and didn't like them much, would like to try snake

Organ meat: tried pig intestines once. GROSS & rubbery.

Other (insects? anything else?): notsomuch

Mixed meats: summer sausage, salami, pepperoni

Non meats: any soy fake meat product, baloney, mixed-meat hot dogs (they freak me out), vienna sausages, spam, and other canned meat products like that

BTW the non-meats would be things you DO NOT eat.

Comment

tarlach, great list!!!

are your organs from beef only or other animals too?

Comment

OSTRICH!! It's my favorite, thought I've never cooked it myself. I have seen ostrich steaks frozen at a grocery shop in my home town. When I am back there again maybe I will have to pick some up and give it a whirl. Expensive if you make a mistake though.

Comment

Beef and chicken organs mostly, but I'm open to trying all sorts.

We have been experimenting with a lot of things we would never have tried years ago.

ie. We tried pigs ears the other day. They didn't come out very well and I wasn't a fan.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
                        Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
                        Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Comment

Oh boy! It's time to make some of you squirm.

For the record, I get almost all my meats from the butcher, halal butcher, fishmonger, charcuterie (processed meats), and the bird guy (he's got everything from domesticated, to wild fowl (when in season)) at the saturday morning market in my hometown.

Red Meat: Beef, porc, lamb, goat, ostrich (blah), horse (blah), wild boar (in season, near christmas), venison.

Fowl (Poultry is just chicken isn't it?): Chicken, duck, goose, turkey (smaller farm raised, not those monsters I saw at Thanksgiving in the US), quail, pigeon, coquelet (little chicker), chapon (neutered rooster), feasant (in season).

Fish/Seafood: Uhmmm... The whole sushi bar? Add oysters, clams, mussels, lobster, crab, crawfish, shrimp (all sizes).

*Side Note: For those of you who say you don't eat bugs. If you like shrimp, crab, or lobster... It's a sea bug. Same great granddaddy as the cucaracha.

Reptiles/Amphibians: Frog legs

Organ meat: I like the "nasty bits." Basically it all gets eaten in my world. Granted something are "every once in awhile" like blood sausage (only in winter, and probably only once or twice a year), or andouille (not the Louisiana sausage, the one from Troy in France).

Other (insects? anything else?): Escargot.

One last thing. I personally believe that humans should try everything at least once in their life (things like crack, or robbing a bank aren't what I'm talking about).

Or better yet...

They should try it once, and once again shortly thereafter to make sure (if) they don't like it (a different chef might make it enjoyable the second time). And they should repeat the process if they can't remember the flavor or sensation of what they've tried in the past (personally I'm always looking for a new brussels sprouts recipe, since every time I try them YUCK!)

Once you learn that you create your own reality and that you are fully responsible for your life, you can begin to see the world as it is and then you realize the limitless possibilities.

Comment

This is totally fun! I must admit I am a total sausage fan - blood sausage, too. YUM!

Poultry: Roast chicken is my fave. I love turkey, too, but hate making it. Commercial birds are so huge I'm never sure when it's done but it tastes good. Duck is excellent as well - sauteed duck breast is delish!

Red meat: lamb is my fave, especially kabobs make from the leg & marinated in garlic, rosemary, mustard & olive oil. I do eat a lot of beef & steak on the grill is one of my faves. Really like stew, too. I do like game, but it's hard to get here. Piggy in all it's forms, too. Love the piggy - especially bacon. I've tried rabbit, too. That's good but very hard to find now.

Fish/Seafood: Haddock, cod - pretty much any cold water fish - scallops and sashimi. Not so much on the lobsters & fresh water fish. My kids love fish, too. They'd eat it every day if we could afford it!

Reptiles/Amphibians: I've tried alligator, but wasn't too keen on it.

Organ meat: love chicken liver pate. Yum! Before I went primal, one of our family favorites was steak & kidney pie (with bacon, of course!). It's so delicious! This winter I think I'll morph the recipe into a stew. That'll be tastey.

Other (insects? anything else?): haven't adventured here much. Did try snails once. Didn't like the texture or the (lack) of flavor.

Thanks in advance! I appreciate your help.

Comment

stuff I've had (that I can think of) of the less obvious nature. I am yet to find an animal I don't like.

poultry: quail, pheasant, duck, ostrich

Red Meat: Buffalo, lamb, goat, venison

Rept/Amph: frog, aligator

Sea food: sea urchin, roe, squid

Other: snails, the worm in the bottom of a tequila bottle

I can't wait to see DR's list!

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Comment

Working...
                              X