Sensitive blood glucose concerns.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sensitive blood glucose concerns.

My mom's finally jumping on the wagon today!

We're all excited about this, but I'm sorta of worried about her blood glucose - it's crazy sensitive (I've seen her BG range from 30 to 400+ over the years). She takes Novalog and Lantus with instances of low BG daily. Her pancreas is completely shot - she gave up with trying to regulate it through any CW diet years ago. And she doesn't check her BG because it just depresses her after awhile. We do have a monitor now though.

I'm also looking for the best way to help her out of low blood sugar quickly without stuffing her full of orange juice (sometimes she reverts to a child and refuses to eat). A lot of the time she comes home from work and she's already hypoglycemic - so it's hard to get her to eat food and then have it work fast enough. Maybe OJ would still be the best option in these circumstances until we can get BG/insulin regulated?

Any advice about reduction of insulin and information on steering clear from hypoglycemia would be helpful, and I'm willing to provide more details if needed.

Do yourself a favor and become your own savior.
    Congenital Hypothyroid
    CW: 225lbs SW: 245lbs

She needs to go very low carb to stabilize her blood sugars. Even after one day of VLC she should be stable enough to not need the OJ. Tomato juice is a better option as OJ will cause a sharp raise and then a crash. She should also supplement VitD3, omega 3 and Zymessence systemic enzymes.

Comment

What SAQ said.
      Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

We were planning to do VLC for her, so I'm glad to hear it'll stabilize that quickly. Normally when she tries a diet, there's a week of crashes and lots of midnight crazies.

I know about vitD and fish oil, haven't really read about the enzymes before. And thanks for the recommendation about the tomato juice, the OJ spike and crash was exactly what I was worried about.

Congenital Hypothyroid

Comment

She also needs to eat more frequently than most of us. My sister is a type 2 diabetic, and she has a stressful job, so often she fails to eat during the workday, and by 2 pm, she's scarfing down a candy bar because of her hypoglycemia. She just doesn't get organized to keep food available that she can snack on (and she has a full kitchen at work!).

Your mother may do something similar--in terms of not eating during the workday. In addition to lunch, she probably needs a snack at about 10 am and another at 2 or 3 pm (I'm assuming a 9-5 workday).

Eating frequent small meals is very important for some diabetics to avoid hypoglycemia. If she goes VLC, that should stabilize her blood sugar, but she needs frequent meals as well.

I emphasize this because of the stress her on IF, and any type of fasting is NOT good for a diabetic.

Comment

Emmie, thanks! My mom definitely forgets to eat while at work, plus it's a walking/lift heavy things all day type of job - she also has access to food/resources!

But we have talked about food a bit. She eats a couple scrambled eggs in the morning with coffee and doesn't get hungry until about 1pm, she'll eat and then come home shaking around 4-5pm and then proceeds to eat non stop until bedtime (lots of carbs and veggies). Primal is going to be a nice way to get off that roller coaster.

Side note, fasting is good for me and I was diagnosed diabetic in Oct (refused all meds). Not sure what's going on there. Though, I know IF won't be for my mom.

Congenital Hypothyroid

Comment

SAQ, I'm not finding information about diabetes and Zymessence systemic enzymes (I suck hardcore at the search feature here and google spits back information about aging, not diabetes) could you elaborate more on them?

Congenital Hypothyroid

Comment

jandge, here is the info you were looking for:

Zymessence home:
                http://www.zymessence.com/index.html

Zymessence - why we need systemic enzymes:
                http://www.zymessence.com/why_systemic_enzymes.html

Comment

Thanks for those links, they were super informative and they sound fantastic, though I'm not reading anything with what they have to do with diabetes specifically. I doubt my mom would spend $80+ on that stuff anyway right now.

Congenital Hypothyroid

Comment

Have to disagree about her having to ear more regularly than other people. With VLC that shouldn't be an issue. I'm insulin dependant and sometimes I don't eat for 24hrs, whereas my bread addicted family find it hard to go without food for three hours.

Comment

Originally posted by jandge View Post
                      Thanks for those links, they were super informative and they sound fantastic, though I'm not reading anything with what they have to do with diabetes specifically. I doubt my mom would spend $80+ on that stuff anyway right now.
                      Zymessence prevents and reverses diabetic complications. It also gets rid of insulin resistance very quickly and has reversed diabetes in a number of patients. I've had fantastic success with them (I've been taking them since September and have halved my insulin usage in that time as well as a number of other benefits), well worth the $80 if you ask me.

http://systemicenzymes.net/articles/...c_enzymes.html

Comment

StoneAgeQueen-

Perhaps that time intervals for eating depends on the diabetic. I follow JUDDD, which is an alternate day diet where we eat <500 cal on alternate days. The MD who developed the plan advises that many diabetics will not be able to tolerate it because of the low amount of food allowed on these alternate days, and although I am not personally diabetic, I'm involved in a discussion board with people doing JUDDD. About 90% of the diabetics who have tried it could not stabilize their blood sugar because they did not eat frequently enough of the low calorie days. We're all eating very low carb, but the diabetics reported needing to eat every 3-4 hours to avoid hypoglycemia.

Comment

I'm not familiar with JUDD but if it isn't VLC it isn't going to be beneficial for diabetics. Diabetics who get regular lows aren't controlling their diabetes properly.

EDIT- I just reread your post and saw that it is VLC. Something is wrong though if they are getting regular lows.
                          Last edited by StoneAgeQueen; 01-18-2011, 06:43 AM.

Comment

As a T1 diabetic, StoneAgeQueen knows of what she speaks. Bernstein's book is also *amazing*. (though he's not paleo primal, he is all about VLC for diabetics)

Let me just also add though that for me it took a couple of weeks to stabilize LBG and for my dad it took about a month. He was doing VLC very meticulously. Sometimes, it appears to take the body a little time to ramp up the production of enzymes involved in gluconeogensis and for whatever reason, my body really struggled with it. I just went through it again for three days when readapting.

Also note that like carbs, protein is insulogenic (though not as excessively and severely) which is why eating sufficient, appropriate (saturated) fat becomes critical. As she likely has tremendous systemic inflammation, I second the recommendation for proteolytic enzymes (though ime, just about any good brand will do....I really like using just bromelain on an empty stomach). Usually I use Source Naturals bromelain caps at the 2000 GDU dosage taking two 500 mg, four times per day on an empty stomach. Empty stomach is key so that instead of digesting your food, they will cross the gut wall, enter the blood stream and digest inflammatory proteins systemically.

If additional enzymes are needed to assist with digestion, my preference (currently) is for Now Platinum Digest...two with meals. That can help digest the additional fat and protein that she might not be used to....and whatever else she eats.

I'd also recommend, very strongly, both 1) minimizing PUFA intake (ie Ω3:Ω6) AND 2) making sure that she's getting a 1:1 ratio of the the Ω6 and Ω6 that she does eat. Ω6 will come from coconut, olive oil, poultry and eggs. Ω3 will come from seafood and supplements. Should she require a supplement to balance her ratios, choose one that is higher in DHA than EPA like Now DHA 500.

It's really amazing to feel the benefits of stable blood glucose after a lifetime of craptastic glucose control. Being freed from constantly having to eat and monitor food intake is so empowering.

In an unrelated note, chances are that she'll need some magnesium as a supplement as well. It appears that about 50% are sensitive to Mg Citrate (ie loose stools) and the other forms just aren't worth it except for Mg Glycinate (ie chelated mg)....but still about 20% can't tolerate that. Jigsaw Magnesium appears to be the only one that virtually everyone can tolerate. I hate to spend that much on a supplement when there are so many other good supps around but it's really the only way I can take the amount of mg I actually need (400-1000 mg) and not have gut problems as a result.

Have a look at my linked docs below...if you can't access them, just click 'request access' and I'll add you. There is a great magnesium document there, some supplement information, fish oil info etc...

All the best,
                            Katherine

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
                              Zymessence prevents and reverses diabetic complications. It also gets rid of insulin resistance very quickly and has reversed diabetes in a number of patients. I've had fantastic success with them (I've been taking them since September and have halved my insulin usage in that time as well as a number of other benefits), well worth the $80 if you ask me.

http://systemicenzymes.net/articles/...c_enzymes.html
                              Thankyou! I needed some more info about enzymes related to diabetes, not just word of mouth saying they should be taken because they're good for stuff. That link was perfect.

cillakat, you're a crazy amount of information - I will have to read and dissect it better when I'm at home. Thank you much!

Congenital Hypothyroid

Comment

Working...
                              X