Sunchokes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunchokes

I have looked everywhere buy cant seem to find an answer as to whether sunchokes are paleo or not!!!!! Can anyone help shed some light??

While sunchokes are not a nightshade, they are a starchy tuber, and therefore it would be prudent to limit consumption of them. They are definitely healthier than white potatoes though. Also, the inulin produced by the sunchoke breaks down into fructose.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Comment

yes. you can also search for "jerusalem artichokes." not only are they paleo, but if you're in the midwestern US, they are also indigenous.
      my primal journal:
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

Delicious things! They make the most wonderful soups...

Comment

They are delicious. I made them for the first time last week. But they gave me terrible gas. I can only guess of the starch content.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
            While sunchokes are not a nightshade, they are a starchy tuber, and therefore it would be prudent to limit consumption of them. They are definitely healthier than white potatoes though. Also, the inulin produced by the sunchoke breaks down into fructose.
            Inulin breaking down into fructose? That's news to me ... as far as I know inulin is soluble fiber, indigestible for humans.
            MikeEnRegalia's Blog - Nutrition, Dieting, Exercise and other stuff ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia View Post
              Inulin breaking down into fructose? That's news to me ... as far as I know inulin is soluble fiber, indigestible for humans.
              You are correct, which is why skline2 up above you there had the farts. It was a blast of fiber, not fructose, that did it.

Comment

Also why I won't be eating them again even though they tasted really good. They didn't bother my wife at all.

Comment

Originally posted by skline2 View Post
                  Also why I won't be eating them again even though they tasted really good. They didn't bother my wife at all.
                  If you eat them often, you get the gut bacteria that cope with them and the side effects go away - it takes me about 3 meals each autumn to get back to managing them without becoming antisocial! But the benefits of them are great....

Comment

Jerusalem artichoke is a fine and delicious food. You need to be careful though because there is an imitator, water hemlock, that is toxic----just one mouthful could be fatal. The two plants are easy to tell apart when they still have foliage, but the 'chokes are usually collected in late fall when there are no leaves. Unless you tagged your plant earlier in the season be careful because the naked plants are just about perfect look-alikes. If you are unsure, just avoid culling plants near water. They could be water hemlock.
                    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

How long can you store them?

Comment

Adrianag: storing Jerusalem artichokes----seems that no one really knows. I have had people say that they store them in root cellars packed in leaves and loose soil for months. I don't do that. I will usually eat all I get by Thanksgiving. That means less than a month. I don't harvest that many.

I cultivate them in my garden. One year I tried freezing a large crop but the taste went off. Now I dig some to eat with a few extra for a little later and hope that the ground doesn't freeze too much. If the ground gets too hard for digging I just don't get anymore 'chokes. If they are kept in the ground you can keep them over the entire winter, just like sweet potatoes. Dig them after the first frost and up to spring.

I let about half of what I grow just keep on doing what the plant wants to do. It spreads. My garden is not a model farm. It is a weed bed of wild foods mixed with herbs and spices surrounded by a 'fence' of nice flowers. The flowers are for the neighbors. Don't want them thinking that my yard is a vacant lot. I let cucurbits run wild too. Squash, melons, cucumbers, gourds.

I started mine with transplants from the wild land near me. It took some time to set up my 'garden' because the wild transplants wouldn't always take. I think that some vendors of seeds or plants can be found.
                        Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

Thanks guys!!!! I get them from a health food store so im not too worried about getting the wrong thing

Comment

Originally posted by Rivvin View Post
                            You are correct, which is why skline2 up above you there had the farts. It was a blast of fiber, not fructose, that did it.
                            So... the inulin does not break down into fructose? It contains fructose but passes through the body without breaking down???
                            The more I see the less I know for sure.
                            -John Lennon

Comment

Inulin-----Some people have difficulty digesting inulin. For them, it is not so much a polysaccharide, but just undigestible fiber like cellulose.
                              Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

Working...
                              X