No announcement yet.

GERD new issue, need some help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was just reading over at The Perfect Health diet and a comment made by Julianne may relate to you:

"@Thea, I too have found so far the best results with Hashimotos eating an auto-immune paleo diet + daily omega 3 supplement. My waistline and TSH is the best since being diagnosed 2 years ago. I exclude dairy, grains(including rice), legumes, seeds, nuts, alcohol. However – I find a moderate carb diet is best as well. I tend to use a gram per kilo bw per day a good way to measure – I find 75 – 100 grams carbs which equals 1.5 – 2 grams per kilo per day works for me. I tried lower carb, but get the lump feeling in my throat – slight thyroid inflammation. It goes when I eat enough carbs, starchy veg make me feel good."
    Carbohydrates and the Thyroid | Perfect Health Diet
    Last edited by Sue; 08-24-2011, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Do you think it could be your thyroid causing lump as per my previous post?

Comment

The difficulty swallowing may be from a hiatal hernia.

Comment

I don't know if this will be any help whatsoever, but my daughter suffers terribly from GERD at 14 (she was born with congenital stomach deformities and has had major corrective surgery as a baby, and this is the last residual symptom). She was put on PPIs at 10 years old, but we stopped them very quickly as she became really rather unwell - not unsurprisingly! One of the things that has really helped her, and helped her throat to heal, is slippery elm. She takes it in powder form mixed with some cinnamon and water, a teaspoon after meals. She also is better when she restricts carbs and sticks to good fats. She has had no problems over the summer, but I know once she is back at school and eating school meals that the problems will start to appear again.

I would definitely suggest a trip to a different doctor and get anything sinister ruled out, especially thyroid inflammation, possible tumours and hiatus hernias. I do wish you luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Scarlet View Post
            I'm a new member, but just thought I would chip in with my experience of GERD. I has pretty bad reflux for a couple of years and I just learnt to deal with it. After I became more and more sick I decided to visit the doctor. Of course they gave me a tablet that reduced the reflux, which I took for a couple of months. I found that taking the tablets removed the acid issue but I still felt unwell, so I decided to investigate this myself.

I found some interesting articles, which led me to buy a book (can't remember the name, but if anyone wants the title, let me know and I will get it when I'm at home) that solved my problem. Apart from a couple of tips regarding avoid late night meals, don't drink whilst you are eating, avoid chocolate, the most interesting bit was the fact that 9 out of 10 cases of reflux is due to TOO LITTLE acid not TOO MUCH. The author recommended an acid tablet called Betaine Hydrochloride (you can buy it in health stores or pharmacists, no prescription required) which you take before you eat and kick starts your acid production. It worked 100% for me. I feel much better and I can eat without fear of reflux. I still avoid late night meals etc, but apart from that I can manage it very well and I feel much much better. I no longer take what the doctor gave me, as I have no need to.

Interestingly, I told a woman at work who suffers from the same thing. I gave her all the info etc, but she chose to stick with her prescription tablet. Having undigested food sitting in her stomach seemed to appeal to her more that having the acid clear it up.

Hope that helps.
            Anyone having problems with GERD should read Chris Kresser's analysis of why it's about not having enough stomach acid, not the other way around:

The hidden causes of heartburn and GERD

Get that Betaine Hydrochloride with Pepsin supplement.
            Starting weight: 225
            Current weight: 195
            Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
            Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
            My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Comment

Don't know if anyone suggested this, but I've had this feeling, and my ENT doctor said I probably had this:

Globus pharyngis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically to get rid of it, I had to stop drinking red wine every night, eating fatty food before bed
              and chill the fark out.

It was BAD. Lump in the throat, like I had a piece of meat down there, felt like I couldn't breathe, sucked.

My husband also gets it when he's REALLY super duper stressed out. Which is VERY rare, but when it happens,
              globus comes along with it. Bites.

Julie

Comment

a little update, thank you all for your help.
                It ended up being calmed by anxyolytics... so it was stress: globus.

I do have hiatal hernia though as well as thyroid issues. So too many things to know. It is better now after the anxyolytics, which I'm stopping.

Comment

I just read a great article about this today...even though you thankfully figured it out, you still might be interested in this:

What Everybody Ought To Know (But Doesn’t) About Heartburn & GERD

Comment

I had GERD AND ANXIETY, and once I went primal and followed some safe eating GERD practices everything went away, I would eat slow and smaller meals, don't drink liquid after meals or with, maybe a few sips of water, don't lay down 4 hours after you eat, and watch coffee and booze. Once I had all that under control the throat feeling went away.

Comment

Hi Folks, new member here. I found this site after having a bout with GERD. I am 48 and have been increasing heartburn etc to the point where I was taking tums or rolaids several times a week..usually at night. Had chest pain one day and went to my doctors and he checked me out and gave me a GI cocktail (Maalox and a numbing agent). I was able to belch and then felt fine. He said it was GERD and recommended Nexium or one of those things. I took it for the 14 day period and no GERD, but I hated that food sitting in your stomach feeling. I started researching and it brought me to Mark's Daily Apple. Started eating 80% paleo, taking the hcl with pepsin and the DGL tablets. Now several months later GERD is gone except for the occasional tight throat feeling. How long before that is gone completely? And for how long should I take the HCL? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X