Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you experience noticeable benefits from Vitamin D supplementation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you experience noticeable benefits from Vitamin D supplementation?

Just curious if the benefits are noticeable (not to minimize the value of the supplement even if they are not).

My mood (off the internet) is generally good and stable.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

I noticed a big energy boost.
      sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
        My mood (off the internet) is generally good and stable.
        LOL! I like your "off the internet" part.

Comment

Have all of you had your Vit. D levels actually tested? I haven't actually tested mine and don't know if I'll have a chance to anytime soon. But seeing that I still have weight to lose, live somewhere that's currently covered in snow, and don't eat oily fish, is it a fairly safe bet that I would benefit from Vit D supplementation?

Comment

my skin is no longer dry. i used to have very dry, loose skin on neck, it's gone!!:-) also ridges on my nails seem to disappear. I've been supplementing for two weeks only.

Comment

I have noticed no difference. I was tested with my results showing me to be in the adequate but lower range. I then increased my dosage to about 8000 units, but I don't notice any difference still. In fact, I caught a really bad cold and with stuffy head and cough that lasted two weeks. I normally never get sick like that. Not to say that vitamins should protect me more, but I just noticed that difference this year.

Comment

I've noticed no real physical differences, so any impacts there have been minimal. However, it's made a huge difference in my mood. Canadian winters suck, and the lack of sunlight usually gets me in the doldrums around mid-December. No such issues for me this winter.

Hell, $8 for 60 days' worth of vitamin D3 capsules is a small price to pay, regardless of any noticeable changes. You have to remember that it's still beneficial, whether you feel any symptoms of those benefits or not.
                August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

For me, D supplementation - even before going Primal - got rid of Seasonal Affective Disorder. Basically it gives me about 4 more months in my productive year.

Comment

My toenails and fingernails seem to be harder and tougher. Could this be from the vitamin D?

Also, I have read in The Perfect Health Diet that if you are supplementing with vitamin D, you should also be supplementing with another vitamin, I think they said K2?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
                      I've noticed no real physical differences, so any impacts there have been minimal. However, it's made a huge difference in my mood. Canadian winters suck, and the lack of sunlight usually gets me in the doldrums around mid-December. No such issues for me this winter.

Hell, $8 for 60 days' worth of vitamin D3 capsules is a small price to pay, regardless of any noticeable changes. You have to remember that it's still beneficial, whether you feel any symptoms of those benefits or not.
                      I feel you on the Canadian winters! How much are you supplementing? Have you had your D levels tested? I haven't but think it may be worth supplementing anyway.

Comment

Ditto on the S.A.D. This usually knocks me out from late Dec thru March every year. I mean moody, depressed, weepy. This year, not at all. I still have the desire to stay inside and sleep on these dark winter days, but that seems like a normal reaction to winter, not like before.

Comment

Originally posted by Christina* View Post
                          I feel you on the Canadian winters! How much are you supplementing? Have you had your D levels tested? I haven't but think it may be worth supplementing anyway.
                          I'm taking 4,000 IU daily. I've heard of people only doing 2,000 and some people go as high as 8,000. I'm finding 4,000 to be a good spot for me. I haven't had my levels tested, and am not really planning to at this point.
                          August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

My pee goes bright yellow. Other than that, I think I'm just taking them on faith.
                            Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
                            Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
                              I'm taking 4,000 IU daily. I've heard of people only doing 2,000 and some people go as high as 8,000. I'm finding 4,000 to be a good spot for me. I haven't had my levels tested, and am not really planning to at this point.
                              Thanks Patrick. I'm heading to Shopper's Drug Mart today. LOL. Any particular supplement recs?

Comment

Working...
                              X