Magnesium Glycinate and sleep

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnesium Glycinate and sleep

I took 400mg of Magnesium Glycinate (KAL brand if it matters) last night before bed and I slept like a rock. I even slept in because the wife couldn't wake me. Coincidence, or have others experienced much deeper sleep with a Mg supplement?

I find that I stay asleep longer when I take magnesium before bed. I use Natural Calm, and make it with hot water about an hour before bed. It's soothing to drink and it really seems to be working. Sleep is a tough one for me - I usually wake up in the middle of the night and am unable to get back to sleep. So it's nice to be able to sleep right through until morning.

Comment

i sleep way better since taking mag.
      i take 100mg mag citrate and 20mg calcium twice a day.
      journal

Comment

Very, very common finding.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Yup same for me. Magnesium really helps me with sleeping long and interrupted.
          "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

a lavender epsom salt bath works wonders for the calm down effect!
            Get on my Level
            http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

I just started taking magnesium citrate (NOW brand, 200mg per cap) but haven't noticed this. I take it after lunch around 1:30pm along with vit D and I typically go to bed around 10-11pm but don't usually have problems sleeping. It's been less than a week though so who knows.
              I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I've been taking the Jigsaw magnesium stuff (malate) and have been having very vivid dreams since I started taking it. Still waiting to know for sure if my teeth grinding stopped which was my reason to take it in the first place.

Comment

I've been taking 400mg of magnesium a day(combo of magnesium oxide, magnesium citrate and magnesium aspartate) for about a month. I started sleeping more soundly almost immediately and my sleep has continued to improve.
                  Start weight 403 09/29/2010
                  Current weight 335
                  On my way to becoming half the man I used to be...

Comment

Gah! I got the report from my SO that I was STILL GRINDING! I wish I can be mouthguard free!

Comment

speaking of mouthgards....does yours fit really well? Is it comfortable? Mine is not....no matter how hard the dentists try to tweak it. They really want me to use it, but....I don't.

Comment

No mine sucks and it's only a drugstore one. I told my dentist about the issue and he said he didn't see any wear on my teeth and he didn't even push one he could make on me at all. He suggested a drugstore one for now instead.

What I don't like about it is if I brush it or let in sit in hydrogen peroxide before putting it in at night I end up with a sore throat in the morning. Oh yeah and the drool..

I still attribute the grinding to a low-carb diet though because that's when my SO started noticing it at night and also because I would have dreams where I ate pies and loaves of bread!!

Comment

Natural Calm. Tested as most bio-available brand on the market. Something about
                          the boiling water and the ionization process that does it. Now, to really make it
                          turbo charged, add a tsp. of raw vinegar or something else that's acidic like lemon
                          juice. Magnesium needs an acidic catalyst. Natural Calm is Magnesium Carbonate,
                          which of course has the carbon bond that mirrors the carbon receptors in your
                          intestinal track, but only a different polarity so they attract.

Comment

Does anybody else feel kind of... fucked up when they take magnesium? I've tried it on several occasions hoping for help with sleep, anxiety, constipation and muscle cramps / spasms, but it gave me way too many uncomfortable side effects. It jacked my anxiety way up, messed with my heart (palpitations and a weak, racy heartbeat), made me feel groggy and generally out of sorts, and while my cramps and spasms became less intense, they seemed to become more frequent and "fluttery".

The mag did help a lot with sleep and constipation, but it just didn't feel worth it. I've tried doses from 200mg to 1000mg and they all seem to effect me this way to varying degrees.

Could this mean I don't need more magnesium? Or maybe something else that interacts with magnesium is out of balance?

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                              I just started taking magnesium citrate (NOW brand, 200mg per cap) but haven't noticed this. I take it after lunch around 1:30pm along with vit D and I typically go to bed around 10-11pm but don't usually have problems sleeping. It's been less than a week though so who knows.
                              Me either,
                              I've been taking magnesium citrate for months, maybe I need to Glycinate. Where do you buy it?

Comment

Working...
                              X