Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What technically non-primal foods do you use anyway?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What technically non-primal foods do you use anyway?

I'm curious - what technically non-primal foods do you use on a regular basis anyway?

I'm not talking about dark chocolate or red wine which are allowed in moderation on a primal way of eating. I'm more referring to things like vinegars, the occasional dressing or sauce, etc.

Just curious

Mayo (though I am getting ready to make my own bacon mayo), sweet chili sauce, blue cheese dressing (also on it's way out, just using blue cheese crumbles now...)
    Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
    Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
    Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

I drink a few diet sodas a week. I use commercial salad dressings once in a while. I buy my mayo - I've been too lazy to make my own, although now that I got an immersion/stick blender for Christmas, I'm gonna give it a shot. I've used corn starch a few times to thicken things (figuring at least it's not gonna make me feel gross like gluten).
      "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

sriracha

Comment

Regularly? I guess my only one would be coconut milk. It's organic, but it still has guar gum in it. Kind of annoying but I like it in my coffee. Occasionally store-bought mayo, mostly because I don't use mayo enough to warrent making my own and having it go bad.

Umm... yeah I guess that's it.

Comment

coconut 'products', butter, ACV, mustard, salsa, coffee, yogurt...spices?
            Get on my Level
            http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by DarthFriendly View Post
              sriracha
              Same here! And mustard, mmm.

Comment

Regularly I use vinegars, mustards, sherry, and a few drops of worchestershire sauce. Store bought mayo is used occasionally but I usually make it from scratch for salad dressings etc, arrowroot powder VERY occasionally.
                The more I see the less I know for sure.
                -John Lennon

Comment

I use a little honey, usually in salad dressings -- maybe 2 tsp weekly.

I also use soy sauce once a month or so (though I'm looking for coconut aminos to replace it) and worchestershire sauce once every couple weeks.

I use vinegars frequently -- but since when are they not primal? They're in plenty of recipes on this site.
                  Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

A little ranch dressing in salads, I just love it! Someday I might feel like changing, just not ready yet.
                    Heidi

33yo, 5'6", 158lbs, size 10 jeans

Comment

Originally posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
                      I use vinegars frequently -- but since when are they not primal? They're in plenty of recipes on this site.
                      I was wondering the same thing, but I assume the OP means foods Grok wouldn't have had access to. *Shrug* I have no personal problems with consuming vinegars! lol
                      -John Lennon

Comment

The sriracha sauce I buy is literally ground up chilis and garlic... isn't that pretty much primal?

Comment

Yeah, why aren't vinegars or spices primal??

I use the odd dollop of mayo (tried making my own....ha!), tamari soya sauce (so it's wheat free at least), worchestershire sauce. I do use sugar in preserves, although trying to find the line of "safely preserved" vs "as little sugar as I can get away with". Errrr, some curry pastes I guess are vegetable oil based. Bottled lemon / lime juice probably has preservatives in it...?

Oh, and the crash-and-burn moments where, sadly, anything goes ice cream being a major flaw.

Comment

Originally posted by Rivvin View Post
                            The sriracha sauce I buy is literally ground up chilis and garlic... isn't that pretty much primal?
                            Sounds primal to me, and delicious! Care to share what brand you're buying!?
                            -John Lennon

Comment

Barring "fuck it all" days, we use sriracha, honey, shoyu sauce (I usually use fish sauce in it's place though), plenty of vinegars (I consider 'em to be primal), and bacon WITH the additive crap.
                              Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                              My Latest Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X