Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• too many nuts??

Hello.
    ive got a question regarding nuts. at the moment i eat a lot of nuts (around 150 g)..i always had stomach issues but since it try to eat primal my "result in the toilet" is very, very soft ...is it possible that i eat too many nuts and that my stomach cant diggest them proberly??

thanks for your responses

My theory is that 150 grams of nuts in one sitting is way too many. But that's just my theory. I'd like to hear some other theories, too.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

give it a total rest for a week or two, see how you feel.
      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

That's a lot of nuts.

Comment

Had to convert that...more than 5 oz. Yeah, that's quite a bit. I'd feel queasy if I ate that many.

Comment

haha..i dont eat them in one sitting...!! i will give them a rest for a while and see how it works out..

but are there any chemical reasons to reduce the amount of nuts?? for example like the anti-nutrients in grains..(or too many PUFA)?

Comment

The only way I can eat nuts is to open the container, take out about a handful (small handful), put them in a small dish and then eat them slowly, one at a time. If I have the entire container in front of me, I eat way too many without even thinking about it. And I've learned that nuts are a treat I should enjoy no more than a few times a week and definitely not daily. But that's just me.

Comment

Yes, they are mostly high in n6 PUFAs, which are inflammatory. Also, raw nuts have enzyme inhibitors and anti-nutrients, which will affect the digestion and absorption of minerals. Mark writes about nuts here. I think the best nuts, as far as low PUFA, goes are macadamia nuts (0.4g/oz.) and hazelnuts (2.2g/oz.), with almonds not being too bad(3.4g/oz.) (I'm getting this just by looking up nutritional info for an ounce). I also find that nuts taste sweet when I haven't been eating commercial sweets, and it's really easy to overeat them instead foods that are actually good for you, like animal products and veggies. I have to wonder, if you're eating 800-900 calories of nuts every day, what you might be missing/undereating because you're too full from all those nuts.

Comment

thanks for all the replies...it seems to be a common problem to have diggestive issues after eating nuts...after reading marks article about the anti-nutrients in nuts its a surprise to me that "primal" people still eat them
                  Last edited by Konstantin; 01-14-2011, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Try soaking your nuts, it can reduce some of the gut irritants. Also chew them THOROUGHLY.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandadude View Post
                      Try soaking your nuts
                      Sound advice any way you look at it.
                      You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Try buying nuts in the shell. I recently started doing this; having to shell each nut really slows me down and limits the number of nuts I consume. They're cheaper this way and I think they taste a little better too. Plus it's kinda fun to shell nuts, especially walnuts.

Comment

Originally posted by dromos View Post
                          Try buying nuts in the shell. I recently started doing this; having to shell each nut really slows me down and limits the number of nuts I consume. They're cheaper this way and I think they taste a little better too. Plus it's kinda fun to shell nuts, especially walnuts.
                          Nuts that are fresh out of the shell always taste waaaaay better to me, and the shells-slowing-you-down thing is a good strategy if you wanna eat nuts but have problems with eating too many. Doesn't really seem to work with pistachios, though. Cracking those is almost as addictive as eating them.

Comment

Originally posted by Konstantin View Post
                            thanks for all the replies...it seems to be a common problem to have diggestive issues after eating nuts...after reading marks article about the anti-nutrients in nuts its a surprise to me that "primal" people still eat them
                            It's a calculated risk...nuts are delicious and convenient, and fine in moderation for most people
                            The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

I use nuts as condiments. A half ounce of crushed cashews adds some amazing texture and taste to stir-fries and salads.

Comment

Working...
                              X