Pets PB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pets PB

A while back I transitioned my two Dacshunds to a diet of "Taste of the Wild" and then slowly incorporated raw chicken necks, then ground beef, and every once in a while chicken backs. Everything I have read and been told on this forum and others was that there poop would stop smelling and be less frequent and whitish. The odd thing is that every once in a while this is true but they both have liquid poop and a clear gel coming from there "back ends" quite often, should I go back to just the "Taste of the Wild"? With that formula they have large smelly feces which really surprises me because it is just sweet potato and meat. This is really confusing to me now and the occasional non smelly white small poop is almost rare. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kennelmom I need your help

Comment

anyone?

Comment

I've been feeding my dogs raw for 5-6 months. I'm not an expert by any means but I'm guessing what you're seeing is mucous which could be detoxing. it could also mean too much fat. I'm not sure about the "whitish" comment... That would mean too much bone... I also don't know about the plan you are using but there are a couple LARGE raw-feeding yahoo groups you could check in to.

My hounds get only bone, organ meat, fat & muscle. I do not feed them any carbs!

Primal pets = happy pets!

Comment

Thanks, I read somewhere that the mucous is actually their intestines "shedding" but it should only happen every once is a while. The dogs were only getting chicken necks and 85% lean ground beef, so confused. I want to keep them raw because i have seen such positive results but the feces is terrible and my older dog is struggling every time she goes.

Comment

I will definitely check out the Yahoo groups, thanks again

Comment

well, and how you believe you should feed will determine which yahoo group you join and listen to (same as going primal, eh?).

I have the same thought process for feeding my critters as i do feeding humans... is it natural (to them)?

I don't see dogs eating cooked anything. I don't see dogs eating grains. I don't see dogs eating veggies or fruit.

Feed them their primal diet and they will be fine (but just like we had to learn how to feed ourselves properly, so you will need to learn how to properly feed your pooches).

good luck and your houndies will really love you when you get this figured out.

Comment

I really cannot wait to figure it out, sometimes I feel like I did and then for some reason one of them has an upset stomach. I will sooner or later. At this point they are just happy that I am not feeding them the commercial crap anymore.

Comment

dump the Taste of the Wild.
                  one of my dogs gets softer stools w/too much liver. then, one cat doesn't like emu and pukes it back up within mins of eating it. shrug.
                  chicken quarters, neckbones, chicken frames, offal. a couple times a week they'll get some of my left over veggies.

happy animals.
                  Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Comment

I have had the same experience with the Taste of the Wild, there stool is no different from the old crap dog food that I was feeding them before I stumbled on feeding raw. It is also very expensive for dry dog food, going to stick to the raw food and hope they adjust. Thanks

Comment

Poop smells. The desire for less stink is for the owner's benefit. I wouldn't worry about it as a marker of health.

The rest..... I don't know.
                      Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
                      ~Borges

Comment

Originally posted by Stevoreo View Post
                        A while back I transitioned my two Dacshunds to a diet of "Taste of the Wild" and then slowly incorporated raw chicken necks, then ground beef, and every once in a while chicken backs. Everything I have read and been told on this forum and others was that there poop would stop smelling and be less frequent and whitish. The odd thing is that every once in a while this is true but they both have liquid poop and a clear gel coming from there "back ends" quite often, should I go back to just the "Taste of the Wild"? With that formula they have large smelly feces which really surprises me because it is just sweet potato and meat. This is really confusing to me now and the occasional non smelly white small poop is almost rare. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
                        OK, it doesn't STOP smelling It's just not quite as nasty.

If you get white poop, you are feeding too much bone.

The liquid poop and mucus, idk, maybe not enough bone? Too much liver? Them still transitioning to raw?

Dogs need meat. 80% meat.

If you want an excellent resource, I belong to a really experienced active Yahoo Raw Feeding group.
                        http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/ They will help you.

These are also good resources:
                        http://www.rawlearning.com
                        http://www.rawmeatybones.com
                        http://www.rawfed.com/myths/
                        http://www.rawfeddogs.net

OR

Go to this thread and follow the links from there.

"Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
                        "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
                        "Moderation sucks." Suse
                        "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
                        "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

I couldn't quite tell from your original post, but if you are feeding both kibble and raw that might be the culprit. I know some dogs do fine, while others cannot tolerate the mix. Digestion for raw is REALLY fast, while with any kibble (grain free or not), it is much slower. You could have some higher levels of bacteria building up causing the mucous/bacteria imbalance. I would convert 100% to raw if you have not already.

If you are 100% raw, make sure you are feeding enough bone (if my crew eats just muscle meat for too many meals it gets looser and dark), maybe add in a digestive enzyme and probiotic to help the transition.
                          Erin
                          Daily Vlogs
                          Primal Pets Blog

Comment

Loose stool could be a few things:

too much meat, not enough bone (ratio of meat to bone is off)
                            too much offal
                            too much fat
                            gut flora overgrowth like giardia

The first three you can play around with...necks and backs typically provide enough bone. If you're feeding ground beef, maybe it's too much fat. That might be the first thing I looked at. You don't mention offal and how much you're giving them..

edit to add: Venison tends to give our dogs the runs, even if they've been eating raw for a while. Dogs new to raw can get the runs if they get too much new stuff too soon. Also agree with the above that some dogs don't handle a blend of raw/kibble, esp if bone is involved.

You may want to fast them for a day and then start them 100% raw with one protein source, no offal for a week or two. Then add in some offal....then just keep adding or changing one thing every couple weeks.
                            Last edited by kennelmom; 01-13-2011, 05:38 AM.
                            Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

I had started out with the Taste of the Wild kibble and then went to completely raw, when I started seeing the Gel after a day or two from completely raw I got a little nervous and added the Taste of the Wild back in. It could def be from the ground beef but I also included chicken necks, with the dogs being so small i cant seem to figure out the right amount to give them. I gave my smaller one (11lbs) a chicken leg once and 2-3 hours later he was throwing up clear frothy mucous. The older one has never thrown up from any raw food but has the fecal issues, frustrating because I want to keep them eating this way but I want to do it right. I think I will try to go completely raw after fasting them today and see how they adapt. Thank you for all of your help.

Comment

Working...
                              X