So Confusing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Confusing

So, I started Primal on 1/1 after researching for 3 mos. I am not eating any starch, rice, pasta, dairy or alcohol. I am eating vegies(mushrooms, avocados, lettuce, tomatoes, fennel) and some dried fruit & nuts. I have seen much info regarding diet: no nuts, no dairy, no caffeine, no fruit. So what gives? I 'm kinda just going with my instincts and trying to keep as primal as possible but their is so much conflicting information from the posts my head is going to explode. Any advice? Also, started my resistant training today. I ma a weak, weak man. I only managed 32 forward lunges, 12 regular push ups + 13 knee push ups, 25 full squats, 1 min elbow plank, 1 min side plank(both). Very discouraging.

Do you have the Primal Blueprint book?
    My homeschooling mom, doula blog: http://naturalparentingsupport.blogspot.com

Comment

I would be careful with the dried fruits since they have a lot more sugar than fresh. And you'll get stronger over time - just stick with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Syracusedoula View Post
        Do you have the Primal Blueprint book?
        Read cover to cover. I understand the book completely but there is so much conflicting in the posts.

Comment

Originally posted by alireb View Post
          I would be careful with the dried fruits since they have a lot more sugar than fresh. And you'll get stronger over time - just stick with it!
          I eat less than a handful a day. Is regular fruit OK?

Comment

10 days is not enough time to assess anything. Give it several weeks at least.

What are your goals? What kind of meat are you eating? What kind of fat do you eat besides avocado? I disagree on the conflicting information. Do what is in the book. Personally, I would toss out the fruit except for berries. Sugar is not you friend.

Comment

Regular fruit is fine. I sort of stick to apples, berries, and other lowish sugar stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by RezH View Post
                10 days is not enough time to assess anything. Give it several weeks at least.

What are your goals? What kind of meat are you eating? What kind of fat do you eat besides avocado? I disagree on the conflicting information. Do what is in the book. Personally, I would toss out the fruit except for berries. Sugar is not you friend.
                Steak, bacon, organic chicken & pork, wild fish, shrimp, nuts, coco oil, whole butter

Comment

People around here follow many variations of Primal/paleo. Tweaking comes with time as we get to know what our bodies need. For example, I do no eggs, dairy or almonds because of food sensitivities, but I don't do low carb, as it effects my hypothyroidism. That doesn't mean that you need to do the same.

When in doubt, refer back to the book. No one on the boards is going to know more about Primal than Mark Sisson.

Comment

I felt somewhat similar whenever I first finished the book and started diving into the posts here on the forum and the ones on MDA itself. Especially in an emerging field like Paleo nutrition, everyone has a different idea on how it's done -- the best one, accordingly, is whatever works for you.

I eat nuts. They might contain phytates, and for a while there I obsessed about which ones I ate, but now I just enjoy the dry-roasted varieties on occasion. I'm sure if I dug around enough I could find even more conflicting information on whether or not I should eat them, but I prefer a simpler approach: enjoy them every so often if they don't make you feel bad.

You definitely need to give it more time, like RezH said, to figure out just what you want to eat and start seeing the results from your decisions.

Don't stress! Just stick with the info in the book and give it time to work.
                    Primal, Minimal, Vagabond(al): Three New Leaves! Check out my blog!

And come say hi on Twitter, too!

Comment

One advantage to being a strength training newbie is you'll notice progress faster

Just as a general thing to keep in mind, the people on the boards are following all sorts of tweaked versions of the Primal Blueprint. Just because someone has found that cutting out nuts, or keeping carbs under 20 grams, or eating raw meat is helpful for them, it doesn't mean it is necessary to do that to follow the PB. You may want to experiment with those sort of tweaks as you fine-tune your diet, but when you're just starting out, focus on the basics (which you seem to be doing a great job on).

As for the fruit issue, berries are optimal (since they are the lowest in fructose), but if you really want a banana, have one once in a while. Just make sure that it fits into your carbohydrate target, and it should be fine. Some people find that fresh fruits do give them problems, but many of us eat them with no issue.

Nuts are fine in moderation, but very easy to overeat on! Plus, they can be high in omega-6 fats. So, have a serving or two, but don't base your diet on them.
                      The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

The great thing about starting with something of a fitness-deficit is that you should see significant improvement...and that will be motivating not discouraging.

And definitely don't expect the boards to supply a "one size fits all" approach. Read the variations and see what fits for you.
                        Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
                        Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

The basics as I see them:

Eat enough protein. you can go with 4ish oz 3 times a day or figure out what your personal needs would be (most recommendations I have seen are 0.7 - 1 gm of protein per pound of lean body mass.) Aim for eating around that much eat day but if you eat more one day and less another thats ok too.

Fill the rest of your plate with veggies. Leafy greens are awesome. Root veggies like carrots tend to be a bit higher in carbs and fruit veggies like tomatoes a bit higher still. But not anything to worry about unless you have very strict carbohydrate goals. Starchy root veggies like potatoes are VERY high in carbs and may screw with your insulin response more than you would like. But you have to see what works for you.

Now, if needed to make up some calories (and cause it tastes good) add some fat to your meal. Cook your protein in fat, use olive oil on your salad, eat some avocado, etc.

Fruit is ok but limit it due to its high sugar content. Berries are the lowest sugar content and very tasty so thats mostly where I go for fruit!

Comment

Experiment. Experiment. Experiment.

I have posted so many threads on these forums at times when I was trying lower carb, higher carb, lower fat, higher fat, fruits, nuts, potatoes, and whatever else is out there.

Basically I have been paleo / primal for over two years now and if I had just tried to stick to what the books told me I would not be as fit or healthy as I am right now. I have tweaked, experimented and modified practically monthly for the past 2 years and I still haven't stopped yet. It's a constant learning process that you can only develop for YOU.

For example, there is a poster named Griff on these forums who eats like 80% fat. It works for him, so more power to him. He did a lot of research and experimented with it and found that is what he needs for his optimum health right now. When he gets to his goal weight, he might not maintain ketosis anymore (or maybe he will, no one knows yet but him!)

I used to eat around 70% fat, 20% protein, 10% carbs, but over the past 5 months I have dropped down to 60% fat, 20% protein, 20% carbs in order to meet my fitness needs.

To sum it up: It takes a lot of time. I cringe when I see people come on these forums after 10, 20, 30 days and say "but my body type hasn't changed and I don't feel like a million bucks yet!" You can't make your body "paleo" because "paleo" is a framework to apply to your body.

I hope this wasn't too rambly, but I just want you to see that the reason there are "conflicting" posts is generally because people are experimenting and tweaking for their specific needs.

Comment

Originally posted by jennf View Post
                              People around here follow many variations of Primal/paleo. Tweaking comes with time as we get to know what our bodies need. For example, I do no eggs, dairy or almonds because of food sensitivities, but I don't do low carb, as it effects my hypothyroidism. That doesn't mean that you need to do the same.

When in doubt, refer back to the book. No one on the boards is going to know more about Primal than Mark Sisson.
                              +1

Fruit is fine.

There are a variety of folks doing some hard-core offshoot for any variety of reasons. Don't let them get you off track or complicate things.
                              "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Working...
                              X