I have some n00b questions.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have some n00b questions.

Aside from more carbs (fruits, etc) what are the major differences between "eating primal" and, say..., the Atkins diet?

If I'm using the PBF workout guidelines and eating a low carb/high fat/high protein diet (not a "primal diet")...am I breaking some unwritten rules that will prevent me from seeing results?

Is there an eating plan that I need to be made aware of?

I drink a couple cups of black coffee every morning. Is that a deal breaker?

Alcohol? How much, how often can I drink?

I'm finally over a muscle (adductor) tear....I think. Any supplements that I can take to help prevent that from happening again?

I guess...I really just need some help wrapping my mind around the nutrition side before I jump in w/ both feet or before I try to create a hybrid nutrition plan+PBF workouts.

tia

With atkins you can use whatever food you like to make up your allotted daily carbs. So if you're shooting for say 30 grams of carb per day you could do that with bread, beans, etc. All things banned on paleo/primal.

Comment

Originally posted by omen View Post
      With atkins you can use whatever food you like to make up your allotted daily carbs. So if you're shooting for say 30 grams of carb per day you could do that with bread, beans, etc. All things banned on paleo/primal.
      Good point.

I try to stay away from the breads and beans.

Typically I do:
      Breakfast: omelet (cheese/veg/unprocessed meat), coffee
      Lunch: baby spinach salad
      Snack: tuna w/ olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon juice
      Dinner: steak, broccoli

Mix a few low carb protein bars or shakes in there and plenty of water.

Comment

I think Atkins as Dr Atkins intended it is remarkably similar to Primal nutrition. But Atkins became corrupted by people consuming fake food just because it had low carbs. Primal is a similar macronutrient breakdown, but focuses on exactly the kinds of foods it looks like you're already choosing to eat--plants and animals, minimally processed.
        Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
        Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

Originally posted by lizch View Post
          I think Atkins as Dr Atkins intended it is remarkably similar to Primal nutrition. But Atkins became corrupted by people consuming fake food just because it had low carbs. Primal is a similar macronutrient breakdown, but focuses on exactly the kinds of foods it looks like you're already choosing to eat--plants and animals, minimally processed.
          Word.
          I'm going to go with it...will blog and what not.

My wife refuses to "give up a food group." Any of you ladies have any advice re: an Alabama gal's stubbornness?

Comment

I would drop the low carb protein bars.
            For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by supersellen View Post
              I would drop the low carb protein bars.
              Alright. They are gross.

Comment

Originally posted by GenericUsername View Post
                Aside from more carbs (fruits, etc) what are the major differences between "eating primal" and, say..., the Atkins diet?

If I'm using the PBF workout guidelines and eating a low carb/high fat/high protein diet (not a "primal diet")...am I breaking some unwritten rules that will prevent me from seeing results?

Is there an eating plan that I need to be made aware of?

I drink a couple cups of black coffee every morning. Is that a deal breaker?

Alcohol? How much, how often can I drink?

I'm finally over a muscle (adductor) tear....I think. Any supplements that I can take to help prevent that from happening again?

I guess...I really just need some help wrapping my mind around the nutrition side before I jump in w/ both feet or before I try to create a hybrid nutrition plan+PBF workouts.

tia
                Check this Primal 101
                The primal blueprint is a whole lifestyle. Coffee is fine, within reason. One or two drinks per day are fine if you can handle alcohol. I stick to non-grain ones like wine. A little fruit each day is good, e.g. berries. But go easy on fructose. Primal is a very flexible plan. You can make it work for you. Good luck.
                Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

There are several yummy bar recipes out there if you prefer something quick:
                  http://www.joyfulabode.com/2010/09/1...-granola-bars/
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-energy-bar-redux/

Those are just two I know about right off; I'm sure there are more.

As for your wife, my husband made fun of it at first, but a pizza after a few weeks of grain-free living proved him wrong. He felt absolutely awful, & since then has been pretty awesome about it. If you can at least get her away from wheat & processed food, she might eventually make the full shift.
                  And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
                  Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

Comment

My wife refuses to "give up a food group." Any of you ladies have any advice re: an Alabama gal's stubbornness?
                    What food group is she concerned about? Most "foods" the PB suggests you cut are not really food at all. But I think most will tell you, if she's committed to her grains & sugar, you can't change her; you just have to do your thing & be patient.

Comment

Originally posted by omen View Post
                      No you can't. I followed Atkins for 2 years and never touched bread (well, not real bread; I occasionally had some low carb franken-bread) or beans (other than green beans). As others have said, true, old-school Atkins really isn't all that different; but with the advent of frankenfoods and with the Atkins companies getting into producing and selling those frankenfoods (as well as partnering with others who sold them), the diet became much more about processed/packaged stuff. And it's possible the newer books give "looser" guidelines on what you can eat (I have a version that's 10+ years old, much more the old-school program).

But in its purest form it's about eating whole foods - primarily meat, eggs, and low-glycemic fruits and veggies. Wait... where have I heard that before?
                      Last edited by ennasirk; 01-10-2011, 11:16 AM.
                      "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Comment

Word.
                        If you value your life, DO NOT go at this head on.

Do what you want to do. Leave the book laying around and Primal Blueprint 101 open on the computer so she can go check it out if she's "concerned" about you killing yourself by cutting out a whole food group. Let her eat your food, invite her to come with you on a walk occasionally, let her see how much better it makes you feel, and SHUT UP about it.
                        Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Comment

Originally posted by Twibble View Post
                          If you value your life, DO NOT go at this head on.

Do what you want to do. Leave the book laying around and Primal Blueprint 101 open on the computer so she can go check it out if she's "concerned" about you killing yourself by cutting out a whole food group. Let her eat your food, invite her to come with you on a walk occasionally, let her see how much better it makes you feel, and SHUT UP about it.
                          haha, that sounds about right. Just continue eating what is right for you, and once she sees positive changes in you... then maybe she will try it too. Maybe not, but don't try to convince her to change if she doesn't want to.

+1 on the Primal Blueprint 101 link
                          Jen, former Midwesterner, living in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

I agree with everyone in this thread so far. I recently told my girlfriend that I eliminated all grains from my diet ( amongst other things) and she wasn't too happy with me. She got really fired up after a few days and said my new lifestyle changes were really stressing her out. She didn't like that we couldn't eat at some of our favorite restaurants anymore and said she feels guilty eating cookies and cake in front of me. I think she's just a little confused right now because I blindsided her with such drastic changes. I let her know I will never judge her as what she wants to eat is completely up to her. I also said there wouldn't be any problems finding plenty of great restaurants we could still dine at.

She seemed pretty frustrated with me but I made it clear that i'm very passionate about this and I would like her to support me in it. She finally said she would but that she just doesn't want to hear the word "primal" or "paleo" so much.

It's definitely just one of those things you have to lead by example. After a few months if i'm looking real lean and occasionally mention how amazing I feel, hopefully she'll become more interested. Just the other day she asked me why consuming too many carbs was bad and asked me to help her pick out a few things at Whole Foods. One step at a time!

Comment

I'm another in the "lead by example" camp. I decided to experiment with going primal on my own, and told my husband I wouldn't be cooking grains or legumes from then on and why. I let him know that he was free to cook his own food or add some grain on the side, but that I suspected that he would like this way of eating since it would mean more butter. When he saw how much more energy I had, he was impressed. When he saw my abs start to show,* he was sold. When he saw me starting to eat steaks (after a lifetime of vegetarianism) he fell in love all over again...

The funny thing is that even though he knows that he feels best and drops weight on a primal diet, he still indulges in bread a couple times a week, fully knowing that it makes him feel shitty. But, at least he eats primal about 75% of the time, and knows how to make good choices for himself when he eats out, even if he doesn't always put that knowledge to use.

*Disclaimer: Thanks to an overly indulgent December, the holla no longer has anything resembling visible abs.
                              The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

Working...
                              X