Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

McDonald's Bacon Ranch Salad w/ Grilled Chicken?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McDonald's Bacon Ranch Salad w/ Grilled Chicken?

So, I need a slap in the face... can someone please tell me just how bad this is for me?

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 1 salad

* Calories 440 (Calories from Fat 216)
    * Total Fat 24g
    * Saturated Fat 0g
    * Total Carbohydrate 21g
    * Protein 35g 70%

I guess these numbers don't look terrible... I just can't imagine something from McDonald's being "ok" for me. So, what am I missing?

Perhaps it lies in the ingredients?

Ingredients:

Grilled Chicken Breast Filet:
    Chicken breast filets with rib meat, water, seasoning (salt, sugar, food starch-modified, maltodextrin, spices, dextrose, autolyzed yeast extract, hydrolyzed [corn gluten, soy, wheat gluten] proteins, garlic powder, paprika, chicken fat, chicken broth, natural flavors (plant and animal source), caramel color, polysorbate 80, xanthan gum, onion powder, extractives of paprika), modified potato starch, and sodium phosphates. (... that can't be good. Where's the Chicken part?)

CONTAINS: SOY AND WHEAT.

Prepared with Liquid Margarine:
    Liquid soybean oil, water, partially hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils, salt, hydrogenated cottonseed oil, soy lecithin, mono- and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservative), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color).

CONTAINS: SOY LECITHIN

Salad Mix
    Iceberg lettuce, romaine lettuce, baby lettuces (which may include lettuces such as baby red romaine, baby green romaine, baby red leaf, baby green leaf, baby red swiss chard, baby red oak, baby green oak, parella, lolla rosa, tango, totsoi, arugula, mizuna, frisee, and radicchio), carrots.

CURRENTLY, OUR SALADS DO NOT CONTAIN SPINACH.

Grape Tomatoes

Shredded Cheddar/Jack Cheese
    Cheddar cheese [pasteurized milk, cheese culture, salt, enzymes, annatto (color)], Monterey Jack cheese (pasteurized milk, cheese culture, salt, enzymes), potato starch and corn starch and powdered cellulose (prevent caking), dextrose, enzymes, natamycin (natural mold inhibitor).

CONTAINS: MILK.

Bacon Bits
    Pork bellies cured with [water, salt, sugar, natural smoke flavor (plant source), sodium phosphate, sodium erythorbate, sodium nitrite].

Did I just throw my last 2-weeks out the window?

How can it have 0 saturated fat when you have both bacon and chicken in it? Maybe because that piece of "chicken" is mechanically made and processed to the max.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

@Balance - great point. I did quickly copy and paste from another site so the source could be wrong. I didn't cross check it with McDonald's site. The McD's site has it at 4g of Saturated Fat... not counting the dressing. Only .5g from the Chicken though.... which doesn't really help their case, I guess.

Comment

Forget it--factory-farmed chicken = lots of antibiotics & possibly hormones...
        Transfatty acids...
        Soy...
        Preservatives...
        Why are you asking? (said with an incredulous look on my face...)
        Consider yourself slapped.
        Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
        Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
        Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

I felt sick just reading that ingredient list. That's about as far away from Primal as you can get

Comment

Dragonfly pretty much summed it up LOL. I mean if you were completely desperate well then you will live, but not my first choice of fast food restaurant I would have chosen.
            ~*Lori*~
            my Primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-momofredheads
            my food blog http://iamhungrywhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
            CW 192

Comment

There pretty much is not one thing healthy in that entire meal.

Comment

Why the hell would anyone need to put MSG in a chicken fillet?

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
                  Why the hell would anyone need to put MSG in a chicken fillet?
                  Cheaper.

Comment

I think preshredded lettuce smells like diapers.

Comment

Originally posted by fitmom View Post
                      I think preshredded lettuce smells like diapers.
                      I wouldn't be surprised if they used recycled diapers for the lettuce. Just paint it green! It's good for the Earth!

Comment

Originally posted by momofredheads View Post
                        Dragonfly pretty much summed it up LOL. I mean if you were completely desperate well then you will live, but not my first choice of fast food restaurant I would have chosen.
                        @momofredheads - So... what is your FIRST choice of fast food restaurant? I you HAD to eat a fast food restaurant. No was NOT an option!

@Dragonfly - Thanks! I sort of slapped myself when I first looked up the ingredient list... but I had already started the post so I figured I'd keep going. So, I was a 6" subway sub + sunchips + diet coke kinda guy (for lunch that is). So - whatcha think is worse? A sub + chips from Subway or a salad w/chicken from McDonald's?

Comment

Originally posted by SteakNchop View Post
                          I wouldn't be surprised if they used recycled diapers for the lettuce. Just paint it green! It's good for the Earth!
                          You just cured me of ever eating at McDonald's again ... thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by RedRocks View Post
                            You just cured me of ever eating at McDonald's again ... thank you!
                            Now, considering lettuce are recycled diapers, I wonder what the beef patties are? *pinches nose*

Comment

Originally posted by RedRocks View Post
                              @momofredheads - So... what is your FIRST choice of fast food restaurant? I you HAD to eat a fast food restaurant. No was NOT an option!

@Dragonfly - Thanks! I sort of slapped myself when I first looked up the ingredient list... but I had already started the post so I figured I'd keep going. So, I was a 6" subway sub + sunchips + diet coke kinda guy (for lunch that is). So - whatcha think is worse? A sub + chips from Subway or a salad w/chicken from McDonald's?
                              I think subway is fine as long as you don't use bread.

Comment

Working...
                              X