Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about over indulging in bacon

Good Evening!

I've seen quite a few threads about the deliciousness of bacon and how much people consume it since I've started perusing these forums. I'm not here to deny how tasty bacon is as I also absolutely love it ( had several slices myself this morning!) However, I am curious as to why everyone is saying to eat as much bacon as you want. Since it's nearly impossible to get grass-fed pork, most of the bacon we consume I'd imagine is high in omega 6 fatty acids, correct? Unbalanced omega 3 to omega 6 ratios causes inflammation so don't we have to be concerned with eating too much bacon?

If I'm completely wrong on this, please let me know. I salivate over bacon and would like every excuse in the world to eat more of it haha.

Lee

bacon isn't really a eat-all-you-want food. i think of it more as a favorite seasoning more than anything else. beyond fat ratios and whatever might be used to cure the bacon, eating lots and lots of it adds lots of calories. eat too many calories and you will gain weight.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Google to find plenty of sources of pastured pork. We are lucky to have it available locally, but it's not impossible to find it--if you are willing to pay for it!
      Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
      Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
      Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

The bacon bit is a running gag. Even proper fed bacon is still treated and you shouldn't eat too much of it.
        A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

Nobody should "eat as much as they want" lol. Like primalrob I use it as a seasoning, to sprinkle over BAS, to flavor mushrooms, in casseroles, in sauces...

I have however occasionally eaten bacon cooked with plenty of minced garlic dipped in spicy mustard as a meal. Beats he heck out of conventional "comfort food!"
          The more I see the less I know for sure.
          -John Lennon

Comment

I buy Applegate natural bacon, no nitrates, etc. I love bacon; everything's better with bacon. I once --pre Primal days--had a maple frosted donut topped with bacon, a Portland Voodoo Donut speciality: sounds odd, but it was incredible. I joke with my family that when I die, have them wrap me in bacon before cremating me. Come to think of it: I think I will cook some bacon for a BLT salad. Bacon.......mmmmmmmmmmmmm.
            This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
            Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

I overindulged in bacon one day - maybe 5 slices plus the grease from the pan on some avocado. I felt terrible that night - the consensus here was that it was salt overload.

I still like a little here and there as a condiment, but never eat more than a couple of strips of it per week.
              Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by Bushrat View Post
                The bacon bit is a running gag. Even proper fed bacon is still treated and you shouldn't eat too much of it.
                A gag? You haven't seen 'Bacon Paradise' on the Travel Channel?
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPVThKHglqo <--preview

(-:
                Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

Comment

I eat 5slices every morning. Newman ranch veggies fed no hormone antibodies nitrates. Mabye this is too much?
                  my photo stream
                  The Enlightened Warrior

Comment

Originally posted by jon tall tree View Post
                    I eat 5slices every morning. Newman ranch veggies fed no hormone antibodies nitrates. Mabye this is too much?
                    I am always for animal fat, so I think that is okay. I just wouldn't have too much more. Lots of salt and sugar in bacon.

Comment

i have it every other day! but its just so damn good ....

Cara
                      http://primroseandpaleo.wordpress.com

Comment

The fat balance should be the least of your concerns. All of those "meat is bad for you" studies that we laugh at for being unrepresentative of what the actual findings showed are a result of the negative health effects of nitrate consumption. This means that all of those studies that showed that eating things like red meats can cause heart/cancer issues were really only showing that eating nitrate/nitrite treated meats can cause these problems NO MATTER THE SOURCE OF THE NITRITES/NITRATES. Because of this, there is no such thing as "safe" bacon and the "Nitrate/Nitrite Free Bacon" that people pay extra for at the store (such as the Applegate brand mentioned above) is nothing but a scam.

These companies use a loophole in the labeling laws where they can claim nitrate/nitrite free if they get their nitrates from food sources. One food source with naturally high levels of nitrates is celery seed/celery powder. This is listed as one of the "natural/healthy" ingredients on the back of the product even though it has been shown to cause all of these same health concerns associated with other cured meats.

Edit: I highly recommend that if you still need your pork fix in the mornings (and who doesn't?) that you try instead to use ground pork. I personally love the flavor of some properly raised ground pork sauteed with some shredded sage then when the pork's about done I mix in some beaten eggs and cook till still runny. Makes for some real nice fatty/meaty breakfasts.
                        Last edited by ProtoAlex; 01-08-2011, 03:52 PM.
                        "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
                        -J.Stanton

Comment

There's lots of pastured uncured bacon available around here (Triangle NC).
                          "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
                          "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
                          If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's new primal journal

Comment

Wtf? ive been eating 4-5 slices of bacon + 3 eggs fried in butter every morning since last april in the belief its eating primaly.The bacon im eating has no sugar but does have nitrates,so now this is a bad thing?? confused : /

Comment

I just drink extra water to counter the excess salt!

Comment

Working...
                              X