Bacon without added sugar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bacon without added sugar

Hi everyone, I am trying to cut out all things that have added sugar. I just realized my Wellshire beef bacon has evaporated cane juice, which is a nicer word for sugar, duh. Anyone have any suggestions on where to get bacon that is just frikin' bacon???
    God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain, but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way...

I hunted for months to try to find a brand with no added sugar to no avail. I just recently started getting all of my meats from a local farm, and was finally granted with "just frikin' bacon". It's definitely worth the search.

Comment

Are you sure it's enough to worry about? My Trader Joe's bacon lists maple sugars in the ingredients, but it has 0g carbs per slice. I'm not going to worry at that low level.
      Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
      Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

you can just buy side pork; uncured, unsalted...

Comment

Originally posted by lizch View Post
          Are you sure it's enough to worry about? My Trader Joe's bacon lists maple sugars in the ingredients, but it has 0g carbs per slice. I'm not going to worry at that low level.
          I think it has a bit to do with the taste for sweet. Overcoming this can take a lot of hard work. If I ate bacon everyday, I would still have the taste for sweet.

Comment

Slanker's bacon(when it's in) has no added sugar and is from pasture raised pigs. His personality may rub a lot of people the wrong way, but he puts out a decent product.
            My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Comment

I buy Apple Gate Farm's Sunday Bacon. Organic, no nitrates, no sugar.

Comment

Paleo Digest Sugar free beef bacon

Comment

Originally posted by stayc215 View Post
                  Paleo Digest Sugar free beef bacon
                  This is actually beef bacon right?

Comment

Slanker's bacon is from TX right.
                    I wonder if any place in LA (preferably westside) carry it or something similar?

Applegate Farm's Sunday Bacon looks pretty tasty.
                    Bacon - Natural Sunday bacon with pork and no added nitrites - Applegate
                    I think I've seen the Applegate brand at Whole Foods and/or Trader Joes in LA but I haven't seen this delicious looking bacon.
                    Does anyone know what store to purchase it at because I'd feel kinda weird mail-ordering bacon?? =P
                    Last edited by nosrek; 11-09-2012, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stallion View Post
                      I buy Apple Gate Farm's Sunday Bacon. Organic, no nitrates, no sugar.
                      This is what I buy, too. They sell it at Whole Foods.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndChance View Post
                        This is what I buy, too. They sell it at Whole Foods.
                        Which Whole Foods carries it? I have yet to see it at the two Whole Foods in Santa Monica.

Comment

The one in Beachwood, OH has it most of the time. I think it sells out quickly--once I could only find one package of it, and it was hidden among the non-organic stuff..

I just checked the label on it though, and it does have <1% of the cane syrup... but I'm not too bothered, as far as I know I can't get bacon off a local farmer and a tiny bit of sugar won't kill me.

Comment

When I first saw a line of Plumrose bacon with the "Sugar Free" label, I laughed and checked the other packages. No sugar. Fast-forward a few months, and their normal line now has sugar. So now our main purchase is their sugar-free product. The only catch is, most grocery stores don't carry iy. We'll literally stop there for just the bacon.

Comment

Buy pork belly, cut into bacon slices, fry.

Bingo. Bacon with no nitrates or sugar.
                              "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Working...
                              X