Eating "pet food"??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eating "pet food"??

....quality grass-fed pet food from slankers. I just noticed slankers sells "pet food" at really good prices, and from what I gather it is just ground beef with bits of organ meats. They also sell grass-fed liver for pets for only $2.78 a pound. They also have a variety of bones that I am guessing would be great for making stews. Do you guys think most of this stuff is safe for human consumption, or should I opt for "human food?" There prices are great, and if I could I eat this, it would save me a lot of money.

Here is the link:

http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/id77.htm

I've ate the pet food and its pretty good. Made burgers from it, shephards pie, meatloaf, meatballs, etc. Seems "fattier" than reg. ground meat and the taste is a little different. So far I'm fine and I've eaten about 20# of it...

Comment

Nice. That's good to know. The prices are great, and I find it weird that they sell organ meats and fattier cuts of meat as pet food. Hoping there isn't any sanitation differences.

Comment

just be wary that some meats sold for pet consumption are de-natured with charcoal to prevent human consumption. It should be clearly labeled if it is...one place local that sells meat for pet food doesn't "promote" it as being de-natured on their site, but it's stamped on the box. They used to have a problem at race tracks with trainers taking (4D) meat home to their families instead of feeding it to the racers...charcoal took care of that.

Most meat sold for pet consumption is sold that way for a reason...it can be 4D meat or otherwise doesn't meet the USDA/gov't standard for being fit for humans.
        Last edited by kennelmom; 01-07-2011, 11:20 AM.
        Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Please be careful with this. I posted ages ago on here about prion-bourne illnesses such as BSE and vCJD. They are not bacteria, or viruses, and cannot be destroyed by cooking.

Comment

Ok now I am beginning to get scared of trying this hahahh. I guess I'll pass then, because I don't want to risk anything. Does anyone know if slankers sells organ meats for human consumption. I looked around there website but couldn't find anything.

Comment

http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/bee...and_prices.htm

About halfway down the page under "Organ Meats and Fat". Looks like the liver is the same price as for pets!

Comment

Thanks a lot!! I dont know how I missed it.

Comment

I saw on "dirty jobs" how canned pet foods are made. Tripe is usually added to the meat including the contents of the intestines. This gives cats and dogs fiber. It's not something I'd care to eat.

Comment

i feed my kitties a higher-quality food, having owned a diabetic cat and not wanting to go through it again. Some of it looks pretty darn good, lol. but yeah, eating it? no.

Comment

Not going eat again pet foods. They suppose to be for my pet But well I tried it before. Just to taste and its great. I think that is why dogs and cat loves it.

Comment

Actually, I just discovered that our pet store (a pet "health food store" that is associated with the local organic market we patronize) sells raw marrow and knuckle bones from pasture-raised bison. No, they're not technically labeled for human consumption, but I know this store and their standards, and they have a lot higher standards for their pet food than the USDA has for people food. So yeah, I'd use BARF bones to make stock.

We don't raw-feed, but we feed grain-free Call of the Wild (the plains formula with bison and venison, since it sounds the yummiest), and my husband jokes about how he's jealous of the dog because he gets venison.

Comment

Authentic Japanese Panko Bread Crumbs and Tempura Batter

Crispy Shrimp Skewers
                          Upper Crust Enterprises, Inc. is famous for its innovative quality breaded seafood, maintaining high level of quality and differentiation. Introducing in U.S. the “Panko” or Japanese bread crumbs which act as a coating on the seafood, soon Panko coated shrimp and fish became a big hit with restaurants nationwide.

Today, Upper Crust provides quality products and excellent service to their customers in a clean and safe environment. Panko and Tempura Batter have a shelf life of 12-months from the time of manufacturing. But it is best to store them in tightly closed containers in a dry place to keep away any moisture. While Panko is made from bleached wheat flour, dextrose, yeast, salt, the ingredients of Tempura Batter mix are enriched bleached wheat flour, yellow corn flour, wheat starch, salt, baking powder, emulsifier. Use then in endless recipes - Crispy French Toast, crispy shrimp skewers, or even Crispy Crumb Noodles, the variations are endless!

You may not be aware but Japanese Panko Bread Crumbs are the secret ingredient in fine restaurants all over the world. Our crispy Tempura Batter mix, a classic Japanese specialty is loved by our clients. Upper Crust Enterprises has perfected the art and science of blending the finest flours and high quality ingredients to develop Panko and Tempura Batter.

Comment

My concern would be it was made from scraps that had fallen on the dirty floor. Ick!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X