IF and breastfeeding?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IF and breastfeeding?

Can you do IF and breastfeed? I'm nursing my 6.5 mo old who is just starting solids, but will probably be getting her primary nourishment from me for at LEAST the next 6 months, if not longer. And also, is there more to it than "skip breakfast and lunch" now and then? I skip breakfast a lot, and sometimes lunch too, I just don't think to eat, or have anything in the house that's appetizing.

Robin's Roost
    My Primal Journal

I wouldn't do it. I'm breastfeeding right now and thought about it and then dismissed it. You need to consume a decent amount of calories while breastfeeding in order to keep producing enough milk.
    5 foot 5 female.
    Starting weight 187 (10/4/10)
    Got knocked up; Had 3rd babby.
    Current weight 128 (8/20/2012)
    Goal weight 150 (pre-pregnancy weight); Goal weight #2 135 (ideal); Newest goal? RIPPED. I WANNA BE RIPPED.

"Bring a knife to a gun fight--stab them while they're laughing"
    "You were born a winner- you were the fastest sperm"
    I prefer to take life advice from courage wolf

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't IF while breastfeeding either. Once your supply drops, it's really hard to get back up without major time and effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Herbwifemama View Post
        Can you do IF and breastfeed?
        Absolutely! Pregnancy and milk production being the 'biological norm' for human adult women really aren't all that taxing for us. Women in famine conditions can (and do!) produce sufficient milk for their nurslings.

Drops in supply will show up around ovulation and shouldn't be attributed to any issue with primal/paleo/low carb or even intermittent fasting. Keep weight loss to 1/2lbs-1 lb per week, maintain nutritional density, appropriate Ω3:Ω6 ratios, lots of appropriate SaFAs, sufficient (not excessive) protein - around 20-30% of cals and you will be fine as will your baby.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

It may also be comforting to realize that in an environment of evolutionary adaptation, it was likely very common to miss a meal here and there or to eat only two meals a day. Pregnancy and breastfeeding are normal states for adult human women....only giving birth is very very draining for us.

Here is some other interesting reading:
          http://www.sightline.org/research/en...ngraber_essay/
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tein-diet-quot

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Robin's Roost
            My Primal Journal

Comment

I'm bfing and I IF'd last wednesday - as I was going in for Tubal... didn't eat from 9pm the night before until 4pm the next day. No problem - no issues w/supply (& I have a history of supply problems) I broke the IF with a nice egg and cheese scramble... yummie...

This was my first IF, I've been primal for about 2mths (Give or take) and I'll be honest I couldn't have IF'd at the beginning of moving to a Primal WOE. I *needed* to snack too much initially - now - its just 3 meals (2 if I'm not hungry) I'm averaging btwn 1800-2200 cals/day depending on how much working out I'm doing. I eat till I'm satisfied, then move on... and I do eat rice, quinoa and potatoes occasionally (though not regularly enough to consider them part of my daily WOE - they are my 20% - as is my coffee sweetener which I'm slowly weaning off of in anticipation of doing a partial Whole 30)

If you're just starting out with the Primal WOE/WOL - make sure you've got the principles down before jumping into IFing... that way when you've got the basics you can start adding IFing to help tweak the system... at least that's my pov....
              The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
              What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
              SW 190lb
              Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
              25 Sep 2011 160lbs
              1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
              GW ~135lbs
              5'3"
              Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Comment

I read a bit more about IF on Mark's blog today- I don't plan on doing it quite yet- unless it's incidental, like I said. But I wondered how compatible with breastfeeding it was.

Robin's Roost
                My Primal Journal

Comment

When I go without a meal or two I end up with the shakes, assuming low blood sugar, and then after I eat I feel horribly ill for the next several hours. My 6 month old son eats constantly, he's about 21# now exclusively breastfed, and I've not got much excess weight. I think depending on your body you can IF just find while bf'ing but it doesn't work for me. So try it and see how you feel

Comment

My baby is about the same age and weight too, I think? She hasn't been weighed in a while, but she was 9 12 at birth. She doesn't really eat very often, she prefers a huge meal and a 3-4 hour break- makes nighttime great! When is his birthday?

Robin's Roost
                    My Primal Journal

Comment

Nice That's a big healthy baby, my first was 9#, though this one, #3, only came out a hair over 8#. He was born July 3rd. Unfortuately he eats often, especially at night, so I get very little sleep. My low blood sugar episodes usually occur when I wake in the morning, if I don't eat well the previous day, I'm figuring he just eats so much thru the night my body gets low.

Originally posted by Herbwifemama View Post
                      My baby is about the same age and weight too, I think? She hasn't been weighed in a while, but she was 9 12 at birth. She doesn't really eat very often, she prefers a huge meal and a 3-4 hour break- makes nighttime great! When is his birthday?

Comment

Mine was born June 16. She is a big squishy baby. My first was 6 10, quite a difference! It sounds like that must be what's happening. I find I wake up hungry now, when I usually didn't before. But thankfully, no blood sugar crashes. I think IF is right up my alley, when I get the hang of primal.

Robin's Roost
                        My Primal Journal

Comment

Hi ladies. This is my first post here. I had my first baby on July 3rd. He was 7 lbs 8 oz. He's only about 13 lbs 5 oz right now. I've only gone primal in the last month I'd say. My little guy eats all the time. I've got no idea if I have supply problems. How would I know? Also, I feel like I don't eat enough right now maybe. I'm a plus sized gal and had gotten down to 185 before I got pregnant. I got up to 237. After I had him I lost weight initially but then I gained it all back and then some! How frustrating. I guess I'm wondering how I'm doing in regards to eating. For example:

Today I had 3 hardboiled eggs with some mayo mixed in and some cucumbers and about an ounce and a half of almonds. Then I had some turkey jerky and almonds as a snack and for dinner I had about 5 oz of ground turkey, 1/2 cup white rice, some onions, carrots, zucchini, red peppers, and spinach sauteed in olive oil and two fried eggs. I then had another ounce and a half of almonds later.

I have been feeling a little lightheaded, not overly energetic, and headachey for awhile now. I don't usually eat any grains at all. Fruit is something I don't eat much of either. I'm getting my carbs from veggies. I try to eat extra fat in the form of avocadoes when I can. Am I not eating enough fat? Not enough carbs? Something just doesn't feel right.

Comment

You know if you had supply problems if your lil one isn't gaining well enough. http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/4pdf.pdf

http://drjaygordon.com/pediatricks/newborns/scales.html

As to the food, I wonder if that rice is throwing your blood sugar off? Rice is a grain. It also seems to me that you might not be eating enough, especially fat. I'd be starving all day long after eating like that. Especially with breastfeeding, you need some extra calories. Did you know that your caloric requirement is HIGHER when nursing than when pregnant?

Robin's Roost
                            My Primal Journal

Comment

it may be helpful to track intake in daily burn for a bit.
                              Consider:

*sources of iron (red meat, dark meat chicken/turkey
                              *Ω3:Ω6 ratio....your diet is very heavy on the Ω6 PUFAs in the sample you posted
                              *multi? b vites?
                              *too many nuts....1/2 oz per day is plenty and it's probably best to not do that daily. they can, for some people (like me), trigger bingey-snacky behavior....2 oz or so is way too much - also a huge source of Ω6
                              *chances are you need more potassium

It took about eight weeks for my body to adapt to burning fat as fuel (ie to ketoadapt) and in the interim, I had a lot of weird symptoms and brutal headaches.

You might also need more magnesium (supplements likely), potassium (veggies, homemade veggie broth) etc.

My docs linked below will have some info that may be helpful....if you can't access them from the links, just click the 'request access' button and I'll add you.

Comment

Working...
                              X