fiber and carb counting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fiber and carb counting

when counting carbs, do you count fiber? for example, if my total carb consumption for the day was 70g, but 30 of those g were fiber, does that mean i was low carb, or very low carb?
    my primal journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

When they talk about carbs in the PB, they are talking about whole carbs including fiber, not net carbs. So the sweet spot, 50-100 g, includes fiber.

And your 40g of carbs a day was not very low carb though that term is subjective. I consider "very low carb" to be 0-20 g.

Comment

from my subjective pov, anything that puts a person in ketosis is vlc. what's special about the number 20? so how is it possible to have a diet that is based on vegetables while eating 20g carb or less per day?
      Last edited by Saoirse; 01-04-2011, 04:01 PM.
      my primal journal:

Comment

I don't count carbs from non-starchy veg at all. It's just easier for me... I don't see any reason i should limit my spinach consumption .

I read somewhere around here that they are digested like fatty acids anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Cavebot 3.0 View Post
          I don't count carbs from non-starchy veg at all. It's just easier for me... I don't see any reason i should limit my spinach consumption .
          Because then you end up like this:

A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

I read somewhere around here that they are digested like fatty acids anyway?
            interesting. i'd love to know more about this if anyone has any info. are you trying to lose weight, and if so, have you been successful so far?
            my primal journal:

Comment

I count all carbs for simplicity's sake. I don't consider 40g net carbs to be VLC either but the term VLC is subjective. To the average person, 30 - 40g is VLC but to many low-carbers it's not. I wouldn't get too hung up on the labels!

Comment

Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
                interesting. i'd love to know more about this if anyone has any info. are you trying to lose weight, and if so, have you been successful so far?
                Can't find it on a quick search, but i read something like this i know it. I've pretty much reached my fat loss goals, working on gaining muscle now. Top of abs starting to show- I'm not super lean, but i don't think I want to be. I'm looking pretty great lately

~70g carbs a day, if i am counting those.

I found this old thread that is basically this thread though.

Comment

Can't find it on a quick search, but i read something like this i know it. I've pretty much reached my fat loss goals, working on gaining muscle now. Top of abs starting to show- I'm not super lean, but i don't think I want to be. I'm looking pretty great lately

I found this old thread that is basically this thread though.
                  hmm... the search function doesn't seem to be working for me.
                  if you don't mind, what was your starting weight or bf% (estimate), and how long did it take you to get where you are now?
                  my primal journal:

Comment

[QUOTE=Cavebot 3.0;299541]Can't find it on a quick search, but i read something like this i know it. I've pretty much reached my fat loss goals, working on gaining muscle now. Top of abs starting to show- I'm not super lean, but i don't think I want to be. I'm looking pretty great lately

Cavebot are you a male or female?? I always find men can get away with more carbs then woman. The first time I did a low carb diet which was an unhealthy atkins diet I lived on bacon, eggs, cheese, burger pattys, buttered peal 'n eat shrimp and steak
                    I literally ate almost no carbs. I did loose 20 #'s like I was on crack. Every week people were flipping out at how fast I was loosing weight. I started 5'4 weighing 135 got down to 115 in 2 months. Now I'm trying to repeat this process but in a healthy way and I noticed as I've gotten a little bit older diet really is starting to affect me. Achy joints, tired, cramps, gas, bloating, lack of motivation and energy when I dont eat well. I'm in it for the life style change. So obviously my previous diet is out. I was wondering since I'm adding way more veggies to my diet no dairy, limited nuts and no fruit till I lose most of the fat. I do however eat plenty of spagetti squash and butter but squash are they to starchy? Should I limit the amount of these veggies I eat? I'm looking for maximum loss in the shortest time. So I can go back to eating my yummy fruit and not have to be so strict with my diet.

Comment

I'm male, 25. My high weight was 210, in March, at which I switched to an about 60% raw vegan diet, coming from pizza, ramen, and beer literally everyday. I also had some ED binging tendencies. I found MDA at around ~190, and at the end of August I started adding fat and meat, cut out grains and all that... got down to 170 at the end of November. I'm now up to 175, trying pretty hard to gain. I still drink on occasion, but I haven't eaten grains at all except for a chocolate chip cookie I ate on New Years I still eat dairy, and eat fruit every other day or so. Nuts sometimes, but I'm not a huge fan of nuts. Oh and I eat sweet potatoes sometimes, I think it's been a good addition, I have more energy, but I definately watch out and don't eat too many. About 2 a week.

Should I limit the amount of these veggies I eat?
                      Only in so much that you don't go over into the weight gain part of the curve... but if you have a good high fat meat sauce, and some other veggies in there too, you definately won't get there. My best fat loss on primal happened when I was very low carb. I ate lots of spinach/kale, fish, bacon and eggs, and broccoli/cauliflower dipped in guacamole for snacks. And adding coconut oil and butter to most things.
                      Last edited by Cavebot 3.0; 01-05-2011, 01:15 PM.

Comment

It sounds really misguided to worry about the carbs in green leafy vegetables. There's also the issue of "net carbs" with them.

Comment

Well being a male and 25 probably helps with the weight loss I'm female and 38 although living in Hawaii provides me with a lifestyle more active than most. I have been eating a lot of butternut and spagetti squash I think I will cut back on those to 1 x a week and stick with more green leafy veggies. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Mizz Hawaii View Post
                            I started 5'4 weighing 135 got down to 115 in 2 months..
                            this is basically where i am/where i want to be. well, now i'm 128 *g* but i'd like to be back around 115-120 (though maybe 115 is too low for me now). i'm thinking about ditching the "no dairy" part of this whole 30 thing so it's easier for me to stay low-carb (by adding in butter, i will have a source of fat that's appealing to eat plain). i certainly don't think completely cutting out fruit and restricting vegetables is healthy in the long-haul, but i guess i'm willing to do it for the short-term if it will bring down my pants size.
                            my primal journal:

Comment

Originally posted by Travis Culp View Post
                              It sounds really misguided to worry about the carbs in green leafy vegetables. There's also the issue of "net carbs" with them.
                              i know, i never would have thought that i'd be here. but that's essentially my original question: do we count net carbs or total? i guess the answer is: "depends on the person". i also perused some of Mark's articles, and his basic answer was that you count total carbs if you're on the upper end of the carb curve, and net carbs if you're on the border between "0-50" and "50-100". sometimes i have the feeling that people on the forums take this way more seriously than Mark does (which works for me).
                              my primal journal:

Comment

Working...
                              X