Raisins & craisins on salads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raisins & craisins on salads

What are your thoughts on putting about 2tbsps of each on my big ass salad for lunch eat day? Too much? Too often? No big deal?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Primal Journal

sugar rush...maybe as an occasional treat?
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Comment

I think it depends on your goals and how many carbs that shoots you up to.
      The more I see the less I know for sure.
      -John Lennon

Comment

I wouldn't do it everyday. 4tblsp of dried fruit can add alot of sugar to your salad.

Although i'm with you on haveing a bit of sweet in there, I like to use small bits of fresh apple or strawberries. If you absolutly like dried fruit try currants. they are smaller and 1tblsp will go a long way. I use those in my curry chicken salad.

It also depends on you, are you trying to loose weight? Are you just maintaining? Are you trying to gain weight?

Comment

Make sure they're not covered in high fructose corn syrup.
          You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Craisins have sugar added so I stay away from them. I do like a TBS of fresh (still nice and soft) jumbo raisins occasionally though. Because of the high sugar content in dried fruit you might want to cut down the raisins to about a TBS. Have you tried fresh blueberries in salad? They would be great substitutes for dried fruit in salads too.
            312/149/150

Comment

I never understood this. The texture of dried fruit in a salad just doesn't work for me. In oatmeal, however....

Before going primal, I would always slice up three dried calimyrna figs and throw them in a big bowl of steel cut oats before going out for a 7 mile run every morning. Now I avoid dried fruit completely.

Comment

I second the too many carbs in dried fruit and would cut back. A good trick with raisins is to cut them in half.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                  Make sure they're not covered in high fructose corn syrup.
                  My wife got a free bag of "apple chips" at work yesterday. They were covered in HFCS. She threw them out.
                  carl's cave

Comment

Yeah, most dried fruits contain all sorts of preservatives and sugars -- in addition the the natural sugars. As others have said, the answer depends somewhat on your goals, but no matter who you are, a quarter cup of dried fruit daily adds up to a lot of sugar. Not ideal for health or leanness. An endurance athlete or even a very active person could probably "get away with it," but that still doesn't make it ideal. (If you're going to consume carbs, non-grain starches are preferable to sugars.)
                    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Thanks everyone! I am desperately trying to lose weight actually - tried this form of eating for about 2 months and didn't lose a pound so I went back to grains and doing Weight Watchers... felt SO bad that I came back and am restarting - I just felt better when I wasn't eating grains in so many different ways... but struggled to lose weight. I assume it is the "little things" I'm not doing that are holding me back... like adding raisins and crasins to my salad everyday! I honestly just didn't think it was a big deal but all of your posts totally make sense....

right now I'm just craving sugar SO much that I felt like these little things would help hold me over and not eat a tub of ice cream or cookies! any suggestions on help with the sugar cravings would be helpful. I do eat a good amout of fruit per day (2 apples and blueberrys daily) but that doesn't seem to do it for me...

Thanks all!
                      Last edited by tanyahk; 01-04-2011, 10:51 AM.
                      My Primal Journal

Comment

Would set off sugar cravings for me. Avoiding the sweet taste completely worked better in the long run, no artificial sweeteners or dried fruits whatsoever.

Just saw your post above. Too much fruit makes it you'll never get off the sugar merry-go-round.

Comment

Taking a magnesium/calcium supplement totally took away my chocolate cravings. Going zero carb (essentially just meat, eggs, small amounts of super low carb veggies, and some cheese) for 4-5 day stints pretty much killed my sugar cravings (did this about 3 times over a 5 week period). So much so that now I almost dislike sweet things. Honestly the first few days when I eliminate something I crave are really rough, but if I bite the bullet and just say no 100% it eventually fades for me. I have to just do other things to distract myself....walks outside, call a friend, check out a good book or two from the library. Its a tough challenge and I have been low carb for awhile....but you can set up any challenge you like to push your discipline and change your tastes, just think of it like building a muscle.
                          Erin
                          Daily Vlogs
                          Primal Pets Blog

Comment

Forget your weight loss goal for 2-4 weeks. Concentrate on "get rid of sugar cravings" as a goal. Eat copious amounts of fat, protein....good primal stuff. And avoid all fruit, all sugar, all starches. Don't even think of stepping on a scale during this time.

(The amazing thing is that you may well not only knock out the sugar cravings, but gradually and naturally reduce the amount you eat so you'll have lost weight at the end of it anyway!)
                            Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
                            Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

Thanks and I agree, maybe just getting rid of it all will help in the long run... just painful for a few days

Liz - when you say not to step on the scale for 2-4 weeks during this period is it because you have seen that people gain weight during this transition?
                              My Primal Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X