Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Important question: unsafe for carb-eaters to partake in saturated fats?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Important question: unsafe for carb-eaters to partake in saturated fats?

One thing I haven't gotten a good sense of is whether it's safe for people on a SAD diet to consume saturated fats like we Primal folk do. Yes, saturated fat is healthy and is burned off as fuel, but if I understand how the whole process works—and correct me if I'm wrong—people who are eating refined carbs on a daily basis will wind up having their insulin lock the saturated fat into fat cells for storage, thus making them fat.

Is this true? Should I not be telling SAD dieters to eat saturated fats, and tell them it's only advisable if they are not eating processed carbs?

as i understand it, this is true for all fats, not just saturated fat. polyunsaturated fats are still inflammatory regardless.
    my primal journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

Saturated fat is still healthy for all sorts of reasons and should be eaten whether one is on the SAD or not.
      You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

The impact of excessive oxidation and inflamation is also a large issue with elevated cholesterol. Keep oxidation in check and you avoid those nasty clots.
        Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

Comment

healthy foods are healthy no matter the diet

Comment

I'm not so sure it's that simple, guys. I have a feeling that someone with lots of insulin in their bloodstream would actually have saturated fat stored as fat, rather than burned off. In other words, while saturated fat may not clog their arteries (which we all know is BS), I think it might make someone on a SAD diet fat. I think the combination of saturated fat + processed carbs might be a bad one.

Anyone have any links or anything?

Comment

Why would saturated fats be worse than transfats or monounsaturated fats? In a typical SAD diet, people are still eating fats. If not saturated, what would you suggest?

Comment

I didn't say they were worse. And no, I think in a typical SAD diet, people are avoiding saturated fats.

I'll restate my theory again: in a healthy body, free of processed carbs & sugars where the insulin process is normal and healthy (Primal diet), I believe saturated fats enter the system and are used as fuel, NOT stored. However, I have a theory that in the body of someone who is eating sugars and processed carbs where there is an abundance of insulin often present in the bloodstream, saturated fats are ushered into storage by the insulin rather than burned off. I'm trying to find out if this is true or not.

Comment

It doesn't matter if it's true or not. If someone is producing excess insulin they're going to be fat regardless of what their fat intake is. Just because their body may store the saturated fat doesn't make it any worse than storing other forms of energy as fat. At least if they're eating saturated fat (and I'm assuming using it to replace polyunsaturates/trans fat) then they're going to be healthier.

Comment

Edited to say: Never mind. I think your theory sounds right on.
                    Last edited by fitmom; 01-03-2011, 05:29 PM.

Comment

I can't find the source right now, but I read on a paleo blog where they interviewed Cordain, who said that saturated fat does indeed cause hardening of the arteries, but it's the sugar that causes the chunks to break off and clog the arteries and kill you. If you don't eat the sugar, you never have to worry about it, the arteries will just stretch. But if you eat the sugar, you'll cause the plaque to break.

Like I said, I can't find the source right now, and I need to run, but I'll look for it later.

Comment

Gary Taubes seems to be saying in "Good Calories, Bad Calories" that if the diet is not carb restricted and there is an insulin response, then all fat will be stored.

Comment

Originally posted by mobettabody View Post
                          Gary Taubes seems to be saying in "Good Calories, Bad Calories" that if the diet is not carb restricted and there is an insulin response, then all fat will be stored.
                          That is my understanding as well.

Comment

Originally posted by hollie View Post
                            I can't find the source right now, but I read on a paleo blog where they interviewed Cordain, who said that saturated fat does indeed cause hardening of the arteries, but it's the sugar that causes the chunks to break off and clog the arteries and kill you. If you don't eat the sugar, you never have to worry about it, the arteries will just stretch. But if you eat the sugar, you'll cause the plaque to break.

Like I said, I can't find the source right now, and I need to run, but I'll look for it later.
                            I think Cordain is wrong. Clogged arteries are a result of dead macrophages (white blood cells) building up due to inflammation/oxidation in the arteries, which happens when dead pattern B LDLs get stuck there. Processed carbs -> high triglycerides -> pattern B LDLs. Saturated fat, as far as I know, has nothing to do with clogged arteries.

Originally posted by mobettabody View Post
                            That's also what the new documentary "Fat Head" seems to communicate as well.

Comment

On the SAD, dietary fat is readily stored as body fat, whether it's saturated or unsaturated. Beyond a very small amount of essential PUFAs, the body doesn't need any extra fat. Since the fat doesn't go towards energy production (positive carb balance) or cell structure (the body already has plenty) any consumption is overconsumption.

Now, if the consumption of saturated fat (or even monounsaturated) serves to replace the carbohydrate that's being eaten then it's a positive thing, but if they become consumed in addition to the carbohydrate already there (the most likely case if we're talking someone on the SAD) then it only makes a bad situation worse.

Comment

Working...
                              X